Scuttlebutt Solent to Poole Cruise - Spring 2013

Seajet

Visit site
Cowes is easy enough, provided you remember the chain ferry... On my first visit after an urgent U turn me X wife's only comment was "Even I know there is a chain ferry!". Reminder t self just cause the chart shows blue or White do not mean you can go there :D:D:D

Probably not worth adding me to any list at moment but I and another occasional poster are watching this thread... Most likely might be Thursday night in Cowes and/ or Friday Lymington if that is acceptable...

Boat is an old 35' 3/4 tonner if I can come it will be a last minute thing...

Onesea,

you and your chum are welcome, East Cowes Marina assure me they'll have plenty of space on a Thursday night in April.

Andy

PhillM

Visit site
Cowes is easy enough, provided you remember the chain ferry... On my first visit after an urgent U turn me X wife's only comment was "Even I know there is a chain ferry!". Reminder t self just cause the chart shows blue or White do not mean you can go there :D:D:D QUOTE]

OK and nobody told me about the Redjet. I know that now!

First trip to Cowes, flat calm, motored over, pulled in just b4 Yacht Haven to get on the radio, while trying to secure a space redjet floated next to me. Official opened bridge door and started to dance around with some sort of "YMCA" hand stuff. I ignored. Next I knew 5 blasts, loud hailer and he's doung a U turn into what used to be my water. Manic reverse. Red face and worst of all YH was full so no lunch. Gave up and motored home. Took me nearly all season to have the nerve to go back to Cowes.

Seajet

Visit site
PhillM,

when was that then ?!

We had a nasty experience alongside with the hydrofoil Redjet to Cowes which had 2 speeds, flat out or stopped, and threw my chum around before landing on his already injured leg, he was not happy.

Top Tips for anyone visiting South Deep anchorage in Poole, keep an eye on the depthsounder as it gets a bit shallow - soft mud bottom though - there's also a mains power cable across the channel, I thought I knew the place well but only noticed the yellow warning transit marks when finding the anchor hard to pull up in the morning, and thought ' Uh Oh ! '

I hadn't snagged the power line, but it was a lesson.

lustyd

Visit site
Onesea,

you and your chum are welcome, East Cowes Marina assure me they'll have plenty of space on a Thursday night in April.

Andy

Usually no visitors at all so you don't even need to call them up, just park up anywhere in A or B pontoons. Of course if you want a quiet berth tucked away then you can call up but I'd suggest we all head for A9 and A8 as its a nice big space where we can stop together.

Seajet

Visit site
Usually no visitors at all so you don't even need to call them up, just park up anywhere in A or B pontoons. Of course if you want a quiet berth tucked away then you can call up but I'd suggest we all head for A9 and A8 as its a nice big space where we can stop together.

LustyD,

with all respects I think East Cowes Marina would like to be called up first before berthing, VHF 80, failing that 01983 293983

or hopefully we'll all be in a group on the Poole trip so things will be nominally arranged.

Andy

lustyd

Visit site
LustyD,

with all respects I think East Cowes Marina would like to be called up first before berthing, VHF 80, failing that 01983 293983

or hopefully we'll all be in a group on the Poole trip so things will be nominally arranged.

Andy
I'm guessing youve not spent much time there out of season then? Or possibly in season judging by that comment. A and B pontoon are strictly first come first served unless there is a pre-arranged rally in which case they will put the rally boards out. Off season they put a sign up saying help yourself to berths. In season you can tie up and then go to the office and they will leave you where you are if you want to. The only time East Cowes actually care is when there is a queue to get in on a busy weekend.
If you insist on calling them then I suggest you tell them you're part of a rally and that we'd like to be all together but the only place they have where we can be all together is A or B pontoons. I said 8/9 because they are the furthest in and therefore quietest of the large visitor areas. They are also probably the easiest for inexperienced boaters.
Cheers
Dave

Seajet

Visit site
Dave,

please don't let's get into a spat; sorry if I caused offence, but I've spent a few winters visiting East Cowes since 1967ish.

All marinas like to be called up on approach to be able to sort out arrangements, it's pretty much like arranging where to put different size aircraft calling on different times on a Carrier !

Which is why there are ' call up VHF 80 now ' points, it's only courtesy, even if it does seem like a car park to us there is a small staff trying to keep on top of an expensive set-up.

BTW Cowes in winter is not one of my best memories...:)

lustyd

Visit site
Dave,

please don't let's get into a spat; sorry if I caused offence, but I've spent a few winters visiting East Cowes since 1967ish.

All marinas like to be called up on approach to be able to sort out arrangements, it's pretty much like arranging where to put different size aircraft calling on different times on a Carrier !

Which is why there are ' call up VHF 80 now ' points, it's only courtesy, even if it does seem like a car park to us there is a small staff trying to keep on top of an expensive set-up.

BTW Cowes in winter is not one of my best memories...:)

I'm not trying to get into a spat. If you call them and don't request the visitor area we will be spread accross the whole marina which is split in 2 halves. In the winter and midweek they have too much space to care if you call them. In the summer at weekends they will almost never hear you calling because every marina on the Medina uses channel 80 and boaters don't understand low/high power. They have told me not to bother calling many times.

Simondjuk

Visit site
Ah, A8! Had a laugh in that precise spot one busy Saturday afternoon when the Berthing Master was insistent that the 35 foot boat I was about to park would fit into a 30 foot long gap between boats.

When it became clear there was only one way to prove the point, I just stuck it in, well fendered forward, with a long midships line to motor against and keep the boat bows in and acutely diagonal in the gap, at which angle it just about fitted.

I asked him if he was happy for me to leave it like that, at which point he decided to move the boat astern of us back a few feet so we could pivot in with about 6 inches to spare either end.

The departure the next morning with no option but to go out astern, with the tide up the bum, others now rafted astern and on the other pontoon forming the pen, and a boat's beam plus a bit wide doglegged path to leave via, was more entertaining still. There were some very relieved looking very small boat owners once we were clear without crushing, or so much as fending off, anything. :)

Last edited:

lustyd

Visit site
Ah, A8! Had a laugh in that precise spot one busy Saturday afternoon when the Berthing Master was insistent that the 35 foot boat I was about to park would fit into a 30 foot long gap between boats.

When it became clear there was only one way to prove the point, I just stuck it in, well fendered forward, with a long midships line to motor against and keep the boat bows in and acutely diagonal in the gap, at which angle it just about fitted.

I asked him if he was happy for me to leave it like that, at which point he decided to move the boat astern of us back a few feet so we could pivot in with about 6 inches to spare either end.

The departure the next morning with no option but to go out astern, with the tide up the bum, others now rafted astern and on the other pontoon forming the pen, and a boat's beam plus a bit wide doglegged path to leave via, was more entertaining still. There were some very relieved looking very small boat owners once we were clear without crushing, or so much as fending off, anything. :)

Serves you right for having a massive boat ;)

Seajet

Visit site
All marinas I know on the South Coast have call up points, " X marina, this is SR, request visitors' berth for 22 feet, one night please, over "

They then give me the berth number and which side to, though it's a good idea to hang fenders both sides.

What could be simpler ?

When I had radio failure and had to just barge in and tie up at East Cowes marina, although in the modern visitors' section I was soon asked to move.

lustyd

Visit site
What could be simpler ?

Just driving in and parking in the totally empty pontoon is pretty simple.

It's not radio failure that's the issue in the Medina, it's being overspoken by 50 boats and 4 marinas all on the same channel at the same time. I'm not saying do it everywhere, I'm saying that's how it is at East Cowes. If you prefer to play the proper mariner then fair enough but I will be going to A9 and won't be calling up first. Anyone wishing to be part of a group is welcome to join me either by calling and requesting or by just tying up next to me and telling them where you are. Seajet will more than likely be on Q pontoon the other side of the marina, having politely called in and been told where to park. Sadly, being a residents area, the free berths here are all over the place so he'll be on his own.

P.S. I'll also have the forum burgee up and a bottle of something open :)

lustyd

Visit site
I'l have you know that on last year's bash we managed to get into Q22 (in the basin) without hitting anything! :cool:

That was the reason I was mentioning it, you chaps were a bit isolated over there last year. Unless that was your plan of course...

lustyd

Visit site
You don't think? Can't remember?

So things were already becoming blurry by Thursday evening? :D

I'm afraid my boat goggles bear a remarkable resemblance to my beer goggles. To be honest I think I lost the boat goggles so have to wear beer goggles on these trips :)

Ru88ell

Visit site
I've spoken to Poole Quay today. They've got another rally in that night so space may be at a premium. I've told her 20 boats, so please get your confirmations in to PhillM asap.