RYA Subscription Cancelled

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
I think the RYA do some things very well. Particularly for new people taking up water sports. Although sailing is a lifelong learning process, difficult to see what they can do for cruisers after the basics .

I think it's important for the RYA to make sailing accessible, particularly for youngsters . It teaches them skills and confidence that can be used throughout their lives for many different things.

Perhaps now is a good time for the RYA to rethink where it is going before they have a revenue crisis.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
It is a National Sports Organisation, with the remit to assist with International level sport.

That is of no use to Cruisers as the RYA have lost their interest in the Cruising sailor.

IMHO, the new RYA are trying to be all things to all men.

And we know how well that works.................................... :(

ImpImp

Visit site
The RYA has always been a racing organisation and then grew into cruising, followed post war as an organisation that had a competency scheme.

It looks after members interests and represents various non members interests. Part of the interests is ensuring participation and removing barriers to participation of which racism, bigotry, sexism and homophobia have all played their part, both actual and perceived. Hence the RYA have adopted an inclusive approach and developed policy that supports the rights of all individuals to enjoy water sports free from discrimination.

They have been fairly successful in promoting and developing racing, supporting clubs and coaching and defending against restrictive proposals.

I’ll continue to support them, even though their logo change appeared pointless to me. I like their inclusive, anti bigot agenda and do appreciate their Olympic programme, although racing is not my cup of tea.

I'm really not fussed by the points you highlight not least as I havn't seen much evidence of it. Much more of a problem for me is that they seem to spend more time effort and money telling their members what to do (particularly around the 'green' agenda) than representing and fighting for their interests. Studland being a prime example of this.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
I'm really not fussed by the points you highlight not least as I havn't seen much evidence of it. Much more of a problem for me is that they seem to spend more time effort and money telling their members what to do (particularly around the 'green' agenda) than representing and fighting for their interests. Studland being a prime example of this.

The green blue is an ask, not a tell. Are you happy to poison your environment?

capnsensible

Visit site
It is a National Sports Organisation, with the remit to assist with International level sport.

That is of no use to Cruisers as the RYA have lost their interest in the Cruising sailor.

And we know how well that works.................................... :(
Wondered if any of this might interest people?

Representation

B27

Visit site
Is the Red Diesel Fiasco one of the RYA's 'representation' 'successes'?

The RYA does some good stuff, like setting the syllabus for and operating the Yotmeister scheme in conjunction with the MCA.

dunedin

Visit site
Is the Red Diesel Fiasco one of the RYA's 'representation' 'successes'?

The RYA does some good stuff, like setting the syllabus for and operating the Yotmeister scheme in conjunction with the MCA.
What is “the Red Diesel Fiasco” please?

The RYA, with others, successfully avoided yacht owners losing the right to fill up with red diesel, that was recently lost to some other sectors. The key issue was avoiding any difference between yacht and fishing boat fuel, as that would endanger access to fuel in remote locations.
They have also maintained access to the 60/40 fuel tax reduction, that allows a superyacht to fill up with diesel for pleasure use cheaper than a nurse can fill her car for going to work - a position I don’t support but one that RYA again succeeded in winning for yacht owners. This saving probably would pay everybody’s RYA subscription fee alone.

B27

Visit site

The RYA, with others, successfully avoided yacht owners losing the right to fill up with red diesel, that was recently lost to some other sectors. The key issue was avoiding any difference between yacht and fishing boat fuel, as that would endanger access to fuel in remote locations.
They have also maintained access to the 60/40 fuel tax reduction, that allows a superyacht to fill up with diesel for pleasure use cheaper than a nurse can fill her car for going to work - a position I don’t support but one that RYA again succeeded in winning for yacht owners. This saving probably would pay everybody’s RYA subscription fee alone.
At risk of straying into politics, it was a complex unstable fudge which helped differentiate us from the rest of the EU, creating a lot of paperwork to kick the can down the road for a short while.
It was good for a few rich people with big engines, which wasn't great PR for boating.
As someone with two sailing boats, one of which has a small engine, buying 60/40 diesel would save me very little.
It's not great for the UK's image among EU yachtsmen either. They wanted to buy white diesel, as it's illegal to have marked fuel in their tanks.

ylop

Visit site
Yes. I too kicked it into touch a few years back. Showed all the signs of (yet another) organisation that had totally lost track of its original purpose and was going pell-mell down the woke/politically correct/eco route.
I will watch with interest the creation of your alternative organisation that intends to represent the interest of sailors whilst screwing the environment, excluding socially less advantaged people and purposely offending people. I'm not sure it will have a huge demand, but perhaps there are enough people hanging around yacht club bars in blazers mumbling about the good old days that you'll get traction.

Although, I'm not sure any organisation with the word "Royal" in its title can truly be called woke.
Well, some of what people are grumbling about was them trying to be all things to all men and women!
Much more of a problem for me is that they seem to spend more time effort and money telling their members what to do (particularly around the 'green' agenda) than representing and fighting for their interests. Studland being a prime example of this.
Some of you south coast boaters really do seem to get het up about one little bay. Its just at well 2/3rds of the planet is covered in water so you've got lots of choice on where to go.
At risk of straying into politics, it was a complex unstable fudge which helped differentiate us from the rest of the EU, creating a lot of paperwork to kick the can down the road for a short while.
It was good for a few rich people with big engines, which wasn't great PR for boating.
As someone with two sailing boats, one of which has a small engine, buying 60/40 diesel would save me very little.
It's not great for the UK's image among EU yachtsmen either. They wanted to buy white diesel, as it's illegal to have marked fuel in their tanks.
I'd probably agree with all of that and that it might actually have been better to find ways to get white diesel available where yachts needed it. BUT I don't think you can complain the "RYA" failed in this regard - there was lots of consultation and discussion at the time and the RYA represented the memberships views. In fact perhaps they did it too well!

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
Well, only that in keeping an eye open as to how they might expand their empire they seem to have realised that the personal watercraft area was waiting for someone to take it on.

I'm not sure whether they yet describe themselves as the jetskiers' 'governing body' but I have little doubt they'd like to sooner or later. Onward, ever onward!

Don't mind me. I just dislike the wretched things. I'm sure there are good, competent and considerate jetskiers. There must be some somewhere, mustn't there?
The RYA run a day course for PWC's costing £200. A new PWC costs about £8K .
It's early days and will take some time for momentum to gather. Hopefully, dealers who sell them will encourage users to give the course a go along with clubs and the boating press. There is no quick and easy answer .

Just my opinion, I think the RYA had little chance but to include PWC's . Had they not, they would probably be accused of elitism. I doubt very much if any other body would be willing to take them on anyway. I'm happy that Jet Skiers have found a way to enjoy themselves on the water just like us.

doug748

Visit site
On a pure cost benefit analysis the RYA has too broad a remit to be of much relevance to any individual water user, as far as I can see...

RYA rebranding: "Together on the water" Bloody hell, sounds like Alcoholics Anonymous not a sailing knee's up.

The clue to the forgotten work of the RYA is in the name: Royal Yachting Association.

Resolution

Visit site
It looks after members interests and represents various non members interests. Part of the interests is ensuring participation and removing barriers to participation of which racism, bigotry, sexism and homophobia have all played their part, both actual and perceived.
I always thought the biggest barrier to participation in yachting was money, or the lack of it. To be honest, after sailing for nearly 50 years in several different countries, in my experience the other factors listed by RunAground pale into insignificance.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I'm afraid I've never really even thought about joining the rya. I like the CA and contribute to the RNLI and that seems enough.

As an aside, with a bit of attention, CA membership can be free or cost positive as they really do have a lot of discounts, competitions and the like. They are a sociable bunch and the meetings are often interesting.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Do RYA affiliated clubs pay any subscribution to the RYA or is a requirement for members of an RYA affiliated club must be a member of the RYA

If any Sailor/Boat owner wishes to enter an event run under the world sailing rules is there a requirement for the skipper/owner / crew to be a paid u member of the RYA

SaltyC

Visit site

From my point of view, not sailing on the South Coast where leisure boats are the majority, the issue was availability on the quayside - when the regulation kicked in Eire had 6 marinas with white diesel availability, from memory 3 near Dublin and 3 on South Coast. So 500 mikes where you needed to arrange bowser / carry cans . This would have been tge lot in the UK north of Conwy - Ipswich, tge Clyde being a possible exception.
It appeared to me political Dogma ahead of practicality.

LiftyK

Visit site
Do RYA affiliated clubs pay any subscribution to the RYA or is a requirement for members of an RYA affiliated club must be a member of the RYA

If any Sailor/Boat owner wishes to enter an event run under the world sailing rules is there a requirement for the skipper/owner / crew to be a paid u member of the RYA
The club pays a subscription. As past treasurer of a club, I recall paying this. It was t too much - around £70 annually at that time.

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
In practice I think the RYA has now become a quasi government quango. Totally different from when I joined. Then a small Secretariat was supported by lots of volunteers. We directly elected the Council and voluntary regional chairs were co-opted to the Council. Because the RYA obtained no government money it was not bound by “govt.good practice” which now dictates the means by which it operates. Training, bums on seats and the Olympics are now the priorities; the remainder of the activities are largely peripheral,

SaltyC

Visit site
In practice I think the RYA has now become a quasi government quango. Totally different from when I joined. Then a small Secretariat was supported by lots of volunteers. We directly elected the Council and voluntary regional chairs were co-opted to the Council. Because the RYA obtained no government money it was not bound by “govt.good practice” which now dictates the means by which it operates. Training, bums on seats and the Olympics are now the priorities; the remainder of the activities are largely peripheral,
Unfortunately I agree, from memory I believe a few years ago the Government 'nationalised ' many of Sports Governing bodies by forcing a change in structure and dictating a constitution (including dictating / influencing the board make up?) If they were to be eligable for Lottery funding. This lead to a detachment from the membership and relevance.