RYA Subscription Cancelled

Tomaret

Visit site
On a pure cost benefit analysis the RYA has too broad a remit to be of much relevance to any individual water user, as far as I can see. I wonder how much the rebranding cost and who benefits? I was a member 20 years ago, dropped it and then rejoined when I did my Day Skipper but soon dropped it again. The RNLI gets my money.

jbweston

Visit site
After many years of membership - I first joined when starting out on my first formal sailing courses around 20 years ago - I didn't renew for two reasons:-
- my interests as a cruising yachtsmen are better represented by the Cruising Association;
- the RYA is hell-bent on building the most far-reaching empire over anything that floats, and its colonisation of personal watercraft was the last straw, as I think the interests of the users of those horrible machines must be almost diametrically opposed to mine.

For some time I had felt the RYA saw things in a differerent light from the way I did. It describes sailing as 'a sport' and promotes itself as that sport's 'governing body'. I don't have a problem with that if applied to some types of sailing. But the sailing I do is most defintely not 'a sport', and I don't need or want to be 'governed' any more than I am by international, national and local laws and regulations.

But it was the personal watercraft that finished my membership off.

Last edited:

Whaup367

Visit site
What do the CA offer?
Presumably they are not a statutory body for marine consultations, so don't replace that part of the RYAs role.

The RYA racing programme has been a huge benefit to my local sailing club, even ignoring their training role and opportunities presented to our young coaches, the cascade of funding from Elite Sport through to grassroots has been a major boon to the club and its members. None of that is funded from membership yet it's hugely beneficial to (at least some) members.

IMHO, the lack of spending on promoting their activities does them no favours, as many assume they are not doing anything (or not enough).
Annual membership is less than the price of a decent meal out. You can get a respectable chunk of it back if you use the discounts (e.g. Navionics, Cotswold outdoor)

dunedin

Visit site
After many years of membership - I first joined when starting out on my first formal sailing courses around 20 years ago - I didn't renew for two reasons:-
- my interests as a cruising yachtsmen are better represented by the Cruising Association;
- the RYA is hell-bent on building the most far-reaching empire over anything that floats, and its colonisation of personal watercraft was the last straw, as I think the interests of the users of those horrible machines must be almost diametrically opposed to mine.

For some time I had felt the RYA saw things in a differerent light from the way I did. It describes sailing as 'a sport' and promotes itself as that sport's 'govering body'. I don't have a problem with that if applied to some types of sailing. But the sailing I do is most defintely not 'a sport', and I don't need or want to be 'governed' any more than I am by international, national and local laws and regulations.

But it was the personal watercraft that finished my membership off.
Pray what exactly was the “colonisation of PWC” that you refer to?

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I received my membership renewal yesterday and when I phoned member service to cancel my direct debit, the woman on the phone sounded bored and not surprised, nor did she ask why I was leaving after 30 years or, try to convince me to stay. From a business perspective, maybe they need some staff training?

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
You got a reply?? When I asked about the cost and expected return on the rebranding I got no reply at all.
Oh I had a reply, it was full of bullshit bingo platitudes, but no costings. They will know the costs, I spent my working life in big engineering projects knew the costings and Mrs Sandy is a member of two professional accountancy institutes, I know they know the costs.

jbweston

Visit site
Pray what exactly was the “colonisation of PWC” that you refer to?
Well, only that in keeping an eye open as to how they might expand their empire they seem to have realised that the personal watercraft area was waiting for someone to take it on.

I'm not sure whether they yet describe themselves as the jetskiers' 'governing body' but I have little doubt they'd like to sooner or later. Onward, ever onward!

Don't mind me. I just dislike the wretched things. I'm sure there are good, competent and considerate jetskiers. There must be some somewhere, mustn't there?

Whaup367

Visit site
Well, only that in keeping an eye open as to how they might expand their empire they seem to have realised that the personal watercraft area was waiting for someone to take it on.

I'm not sure whether they yet describe themselves as the jetskiers' 'governing body' but I have little doubt they'd like to sooner or later. Onward, ever onward!

Don't mind me. I just dislike the wretched things. I'm sure there are good, competent and considerate jetskiers. There must be some somewhere, mustn't there?

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

srm

Visit site
I had to be a member of the RYA to keep my various shore based and practical instructor qualifications valid. All that became irrelevant when I retired. A few years later they sent a members' questionnaire that I duly filled in. That exercise adequately made the point that the RYA was totally irrelevant to the sailing that I do so resigned.

At the time of Brexit there was publicity attributed to the RYA about the "EU goods in free circulation" regulation for boats in the EU on B night not being liable to EU VAT. I emailed the RYA asking for a reference to the appropriate EU regulation. The answer was in effect "use Google". So they had been circulating information but their "head of cruising" would/could not be bothered to support it. Not good practice for either a national business or a national association. I got confirmation from the head office of Portuguese Customs after a suitable bureaucratic delay.

dunedin

Visit site

So what did RYA actually do to that upset you so much and merited your comment about their “colonisation of PWC”?

Sounds like you just don’t like PWCs, and upset that they allow them to become members?

dunedin

Visit site
Yes, some nasty views being expressed here.

We won't be allowed to respond to them in the manner they deserve so please close the thread
Yes some of the posts on the channel crossing and unfounded criticism of the RNLI is clear breach of forum rules - but also nothing to do with the thread title. Though I disagree, the actual topic regarding RYA is relevant and should not be closed because some have diverted off on a political rant.

Poignard

Visit site
Yes some of the posts on the channel crossing and unfounded criticism of the RNLI is clear breach of forum rules - but also nothing to do with the thread title. Though I disagree, the actual topic regarding RYA is relevant and should not be closed because some have diverted off on a political rant.
Fair enough.

Take the bigots' posts off ;)

srm

Visit site
If I remember correctly the master/skipper of every vessel has an obligation under international law to render assistance to any vessel in distress with the aim of saving life. This even applies to enemies in time of war. The only exception is if doing so will put their own vessel and crew in danger.
Any refusal to offer assistance has to be recorded in the vessel's log with reasons.