RYA incompetence .. Rules ogf the road

Cornishman

Visit site
I have just read through all the posts to this thread so far - 22.36 on the 24th, and one thing strikes me as being most appropriate. Jimi keeps flying flag 'M' and he certainly seems to be stopped and making no way (See International Code of Signals if you don't follow).

<hr width=100% size=1>

peterb

Visit site
I'm not so sure about that. There's no doubt (because Rule 13(d) says so) that an overtaking boat remains an overtaking boat until it is past and clear. But there isn't a rule that says that a crossing boat remains a crossing boat even if she gets into the overtaking sector.

If you think about it for a moment, a crossing boat can only become an overtaking boat by going into the overtaking sector, i.e. by crossing behind. Risk of collision can only then ensue if the boat alters course, giving an entirely new situation in which it becomes an overtaking boat. Imagine it happening at a distance; a boat first appears on the beam and on a course which clearly takes her behind, then on reaching the overtaking sector alters course to a collision course. She may originally have been the stand-on vessel, but surely she now has to give way until past and clear?

Rule 13(d) covers a different situation. As the overtaking boat overtakes, it must come to a point at which it moves out of the overtaking sector. For two sailing boats, the boats could be on opposite tacks or the overtaking boat could be to leeward. Without 13(d), the overtaking boat could then claim to have become the stand-on vessel.

So whilst it is certainly true that an overtaking boat remains the give-way boat until it is past and clear, I do not believe that the same rule applies to two crossing vessels.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jamesjermain

Visit site
Incompetent?

A minor error, which may not be an error at all, in a publication which is several years and several editions out of date hardly justifies the headline 'RYA incompetence'

<hr width=100% size=1>JJ

jamesjermain

Visit site
Incompetent?

A minor error, which may not be an error at all, in a publication which is several years and several editions out of date hardly justifies the headline 'RYA incompetence'

<hr width=100% size=1>JJ

bedouin

Visit site
I think while "Risk of Collision" exists, then the give way vessel remains the give way vessel. If the Stand On vessel alters course in order to avoid collision (is that Rule 17?) then the give way vessel remains the give way vessel.

If the stand on vessel alters course for any other reason while "risk of collision" exists then it is breaking the rules anyway.

If risk of collision does not exist then there is no such thing as stand on vessel.

That's a bit of a simplification - but you get the idea

<hr width=100% size=1>