Running a mini PC from a power bank

Refueler

Visit site
This is your lack of IT skills, not a problem with Office 365. The installer for O365 is identical to the installer for the other version, and both have JIT feature installs which you can force ahead of time if you so choose. The main difference between the two, is that O365 can be installed legally on multiple devices for the same user which is very useful for people with multiple laptops, desktops and mobile devices. It also comes with OneDrive so your documents are available across all of those devices if you so choose.

Always a contrary smartie somewhere ....

365 has the feature that requires internet connection when called on to do extra ... all other Office versions just did not do that .. they just didn't have the option installed ... if not installed on initial .. or you just slid the CD / DVD in to install ...

I was not introduced to Computers this morning ..

I can take you round large corporations .. serious businesses with full IT depts and guess what - 365 is not universally found ...

Refueler

Visit site
It absolutely is legitimate. They operate by purchasing huge quantities of genuine licenses and selling them piecemeal.

They've been in business since 2009 so I would have thought Microsoft etc would have closed them down by now if they weren't kosher. More info on their home page ..

CJS CDKeys - Cheapest Steam Keys, Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, EA App Keys, Xbox Live, Nintendo Switch Keys

It also depends on location / market its sold in ... which has been a constant knife in MS side.

Example : MS products can be sold on to another in EU and all rights to product, transfers to new owner - as long as old owner hands over the original media and removes said from his computer.
USA though (have to check to see if any changes) - selling on does not transfer all rights etc. US says its non transferable.... at least when I was working with US - that was the rule.

lustyd

Visit site
365 has the feature that requires internet connection when called on to do extra ... all other Office versions just did not do that .. they just didn't have the option installed ... if not installed on initial .. or you just slid the CD / DVD in to install ...
Yes they did, actually. You were just unaware of them. Windows has also had this feature in since at least 2000
I can take you round large corporations .. serious businesses with full IT depts and guess what - 365 is not universally found ...
You are wrong. Of the top 500 customers there are maybe 2 not using 365 and that trend continues down the stack right to SMB.

lustyd

Visit site
It absolutely is legitimate
It's a legitimate business but not an authorised reseller of O365, a quick search confirms that with comments from MS support explaining that subscriptions can be turned off if breaching terms.

Refueler

Visit site
Yes they did, actually. You were just unaware of them. Windows has also had this feature in since at least 2000

You are wrong. Of the top 500 customers there are maybe 2 not using 365 and that trend continues down the stack right to SMB.

Customers .... that means people already signed up to your lot ...

That is NOT overall. I receive and have to work with many documents sent to me by Major Oil and Shipping Co's from around the world .... guess what ... only a very small number are 365 produced ... I've just checked properties since my comment and WOW ... not one 365 derived document !
And before you cry foul - I am not daft - I checked if they had been created and saved to be compatible.

There is very good reason for not using 365 ... but you'll bleat on about 365 and how great it is ... so I shall leave it at that.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
My employer is one of the super majors and they have been running Windows 365 Enterprise for about a year now, and will be fully rolled out this year. I work on vessels and it was a bit of a hassle until we worked out what One Drive was doing and how to optimise it, always available documents, cloud only, local copy. It is not intuitive and you have to use the tutorials to understand how cloud computing works, especially when using shared documents and simultaneous edits. My vessel connection to the cloud is very slow via VSat, a sister vessel has Starlink which is incredibly fast. Definitely a learning curve with 360. Also, my employer is very wary of security issues and cloud computing somewhat mitigates some threats. However, many of our contractors have safety critical applications still running Windows XP; incredible!

Refueler

Visit site
My employer is one of the super majors and they have been running Windows 365 Enterprise for about a year now, and will be fully rolled out this year. I work on vessels and it was a bit of a hassle until we worked out what One Drive was doing and how to optimise it, always available documents, cloud only, local copy. It is not intuitive and you have to use the tutorials to understand how cloud computing works, especially when using shared documents and simultaneous edits. My vessel connection to the cloud is very slow via VSat, a sister vessel has Starlink which is incredibly fast. Definitely a learning curve with 360. Also, my employer is very wary of security issues and cloud computing somewhat mitigates some threats. However, many of our contractors have safety critical applications still running Windows XP; incredible!

When sitting on Floating Storage and transferring cargo to a vessel for export .. and 365 decides that a component is missing (turned out to be not necessary as well later) from Excel and insists on connecting to download ... freezing the program as connection was weak and intermittent ....
It caused delay to documentation for casting off the loaded vessel.

That was only one of a number of occasions it occurred on various other assignments.

It is blatantly obvious that 365 is designed thinking of sitting in a nice convenient office. If not - then you'd better install a total package if you decide 365 and try avoid need for extras online.

I'm out of here .. said my piece .. saw the results of it ... and I know I am not only one who has had such happen. Unfortunately I was the one who had to explain why a 60,000 ton shipment couldn't sail on completion and was held while we sorted it out.

j3tpropelled

Visit site
Anyway, back on topic.

Bottom line, certainly some mini-pc's can run on a direct12v supply. If you find one with an external power supply 'brick' like a laptop has then chances are you could run it off 12v direct.

Alternatively, use on the small power stations from the likes of Ecoflow etc. which have 12v/240v outputs and can take a solar input.

Also, depending on exactly how powerful a machine you want, it's worth looking on the likes of eBay for ex-corporate Micro PC's from the likes of Dell (e.g. the Optiplex 3050 Micro). You'd easily pick up something useable for under £100.

Refueler

Visit site
As I said though, if you did a full install you'd have no issues, so it's still a you problem.

You have now said the magic word : Full.

When will you understand that previous versions of Office programs would run quite happily with less than full install .. That parts not installed would ask for CD / DVD or connection - User could decline and Word / Excel or whatever would just carry on but not perform that action.
365 is not quite the same for all your posts ... probably because of more interconnected components than previous had. When the request came up = it was already tapping on the internet door ...

All our other jobs trundled along fine with installs that were not full ... then my IT guys without asking installed 365 ... then after clean reliable operations .. we started having issues.

When we sent out reports / docs - if not PDF - they were required to be in a previous Office version such as 2013 .. 2016 at most. This ensured that the operators receiving could open without any dialogue box / requests etc.

I find it also interesting that of all the versions of Office over the years - 365 has had the biggest - most extensive advertising and marketing of literally all previous put together ... that in itself implies somethings not quite going to plan !!

Enough ... back to OP .. I'm sure he's fed up with this ... as I am as well.

lustyd

Visit site
Blimey keep digging you're nearly through to the other side. You're having issues because you don't know what you're doing and you don't listen to experts when they try to help you. The installer works fine for tens of millions of users in all kinds of situations, some on boats, some in space, and some in the middle of the desert and it works whether there is Internet or not.

It doesn't work for you because you're unwilling or unable to learn. As I said, that's a you problem, and the more you say on this thread and on the angry little PMs you've sent, the more I realise your life is probably full of such problems.

Dockhead

Visit site
Some Mini PCs today are powered via USB-C, which make it simple to power from on-board power. That's what I do. I added a fixed USB-C port (it must be PD and of sufficient power) under my nav table, and power it like that. Works great.

lustyd

Visit site
Some Mini PCs today are powered via USB-C, which make it simple to power from on-board power. That's what I do. I added a fixed USB-C port (it must be PD and of sufficient power) under my nav table, and power it like that. Works great.
Careful with assumptions there, USB-PD uses voltage to increase power delivered so while 5V USB works, and 9V PD works you’d need something to step up the voltage to make anything more work and this will include a lot of small computers.
36W is about the max for simple USB sockets which is 12V at 3A. Over that and you need 18V which most sockets can’t deliver from a 12V source.
36W is enough for lightly used modern laptops though such as Surface or MacBook.

dukeofted

Visit site
Careful with assumptions there, USB-PD uses voltage to increase power delivered so while 5V USB works, and 9V PD works you’d need something to step up the voltage to make anything more work and this will include a lot of small computers.
36W is about the max for simple USB sockets which is 12V at 3A. Over that and you need 18V which most sockets can’t deliver from a 12V source.
36W is enough for lightly used modern laptops though such as Surface or MacBook.

Use one of these chargers and it is just about enough to keep my chunky Dell CAD laptop fully topped up throughout the work day. For a normal laptop or a mini PC it would be more than enough.

20V 15V 12V 5V USB-C Car Charger Power Supply Adapter for Macbook Laptop Phone | eBay

GHA

Visit site