RNLI

Giblets

Visit site
I don't know about the new clueless Coastguard but in the good old days if someone broke down and not in danger but in need of a tow Solent Coastguard would point them to Seastart or yards with tow boats.

Which they still do in the first instance.

awol

Visit site
The direct beneficiaries are women and children. No man is a seemingly a direct beneficiary of the RNLI's overseas aid.

If I was thinking about how I could best use the RNLI's overseas budget, I would research how/where most people drown and assist with some control measures; that doesn't appear to have been the starting point for this exercise.

Perhaps if you took the bother to perform even a modicum of research - googling "RNLI Tanzania" for example - you would find that the RNLI are aiming at the huge numbers of drownings and are not at all gender specific in their programmes.

Seajet

Visit site
So have the RNLI taken it upon themselves to dish out Foreign Aid or are they being subsidised bt Tanzanian or UK Govt, as this is way beyond what the people who gave them this money intended them to do with it - which is the crux of the matter.

Jumbleduck, insisting women cover up is male oppression is it not ?

How do they get on for driving and jobs then, if so well read, which I'm afraid I rather doubt.

Anyway the point is nobody expected the RNLI to do this with their money, it is not what they intended or I'm bloody sure would wish.

awol

Visit site
One gets back to wondering why relatively well off African Countries need help in this?

Relative to whom?
From https://assets.publishing.service.g...le/723328/DFID-Tanzania-Profile-July-2018.pdf
25 million Tanzanians still live on less than $1.90a day. 800,000 young Tanzanians enter the job market every year with few job opportunities. While most children go to school and the quality of education is improving, education outcomes in Tanzania remain very poor: only 7% of students reach the international benchmark in reading

dunedin

Visit site
Anyway the point is nobody expected the RNLI to do this with their money, it is not what they intended or I'm bloody sure would wish.

Are you a member of RNLI? If so you might have read about their overseas programmes, and the reasons why.
Not sure why you can say “nobody expected the RNLI to do this”, as you certainly don’t speak for me, or the thousands of other members who read the articles and didn’t write to object.

Blue Sunray

Visit site
Bet you a fiver (to the RNLI) that it isn't. Most people expect them to be saving brave sailors and cowering passengers from the wrath of the ocean, not dropping everything on a nice day to tow in somebody without the wits to check their engine oil.

Which of course is why (and I know I've said it before ) The strapline is "The charity that saves lives at sea" not "A free towing service for the mechanically challenged middle classes".

Seajet

Visit site
I WAS a ' member ' as in donator, but became disenchanted when I heard of teams of lawyers chasing old widows' wills.

The thousands who didn't object seems to me thousands more of posters and bumph sent but not read, I am pretty sure not advertising this diversement of funds which people simply did not commit to.

You can dress it up all you want as overseas help or racism, the fact is people who donate to lifeboats do not expect THEIR funds to go on an overseas aid project way outside the scope one would expect when signing a debit or putting a few quid in.

It is entirely inappropriate and should be a Govenrment thing - if they wish to enlist the RNLI as a sort of 2nd -rd rate United Nations then they should advertise they are doing so.

I also wonder about the safety of the actual staff / representatives doing this as I said earlier.

Is the next step plonking a big gun on the front of lifeboats and defending our tankers in the Staits Of Hormuz ?

That ' might save lives ' too.

Last edited:

Blue Sunray

Visit site
Young adult (15 - 24) literacy rates in Bangladesh are 93% for women and 90% for men. The evidence does not support a claim of general hostility to women's literacy there.

This is going to be a very short thread if you expect postings to be based on facts.

Seajet

Visit site
It's probably going to be a long, I hope significant thread, perhaps most significant since BORG fighting for Studland.

I know Jumbleduck slightly from tv and e-mails and admire him and his taste in boats enormously, but I have to say in a kindly way I think his altruistic thinking is awry on this one - the wrong people to give it both personally and company / indeed nation wise, may not be received kindly and a very wrong idea from all perspectives, I hope this does not go too badly as in ' RNLI bod killed by Taliban ' - absurd but that's what they're getting into, no more ' put a penny in the slot to make the lifeboat launch ' in collection boxes in pubs...

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Bet you a fiver (to the RNLI) that it isn't. Most people expect them to be saving brave sailors and cowering passengers from the wrath of the ocean, not dropping everything on a nice day to tow in somebody without the wits to check their engine oil.

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
I'm happy to accept Jumbleducks' bet that the vast majority of donators to the RNLI are

A, unaware of this overseas aid,

B unhappy about it when they learn of it.

How do we prove it one way or another though ? The RNLI would say ' everything's spiffing ' if a huge asteroid was aiming for Poole :)

Dutch01527

Visit site
Is there a management crisis at the RNLI? They seem to be lurching from one bad decision to another with resultant disastrous PR consequences.

I have donated over 30 years to support their volunteers who I admire massively. It would be a real shame if their management lost the good will these brave men and women richly deserve.

It is not racist or sexist to question overseas expenditures or the sacking of volunteers for a naughty mug in a cupboard. I suspect that most donations come from people who would ask such questions.

Last edited:

Poecheng

Visit site
Try reading https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...fesaving-training-to-tackle-drowning-epidemic - absolutely NOT the latest news but might give an idea of the problem.

Had a look at that. My only observation is - and it is not the RNLI's fault - why is it on a government website about overseas development. The RNLI is independant and (should) not be acting in coordination with the Overseas Aid department of government; if it is acting independent of government, why are the government writing about it as if to take credit for it. Happy to accept I have misunderstood the situation but little surprised at it.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
You can dress it up all you want as overseas help or racism, the fact is people who donate to lifeboats do not expect THEIR funds to go on an overseas aid project way outside the scope one would expect when signing a debit or putting a few quid in.

How do you know?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I know Jumbleduck slightly from tv and e-mails and admire him and his taste in boats enormously, but I have to say in a kindly way I think his altruistic thinking is awry on this one ...

As I wrote, I think it is quite OK to think that the RNLI should not spend money abroad. I just think that objecting to them spending money on Muslims is a bit ... iffy.