Croatia pilot book and itinerary recommendation

Kiting

Visit site
I'm planning to charter a boat in Croatia with friends for a week in August. None of us have ever sailed in Croatia before, so I'm trying to find out about a good pilot book to look at for destination ideas and to use while there.

Does anyone have any views on the best pilot book for the area and/or particular places to go or avoid? We'd like to mainly anchor, with maybe a night or two in a marina to top up on water/fuel. I saw a thread from 2008 saying that the 777 Guide was the best then, but I can't tell if that's still the case.

Many thanks!

Skellum

Visit site
Your charter boat should come with a pilot book on board. It might even be a 777 one. Some of the places that I used to anchor in the central Dalmatian area now have mooring buoys.

August is likely to be busy as it’s peak season and a number of Italian boats normally sail across at that time.

Where are you chartering from?

E39mad

Visit site
Some great sailing areas wherever you go in Croatia. Likely to be busiest around Split and Dubrovnik areas.

Depends on what you want to do and see. Do you want a marina every night with restaurants and/or night life or a bay to anchor? Do you want to see the Krka falls or see ancient cities such as Zadar or Split?

Personally, I loved the Kornati islands, Korkcula (although will be very busy in August) and Mljet.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Echo the above, it’s fab, we’re back again in June this year for our 5th or 6th visit. Plenty of threads on here with recommendations, no point in repeating here. The cruising guide / pilot book I’d recommend is the Jane Cody Cruising Companion. Out of print I think but often comes up on eBay.

Shaddickp

Visit site
The Imray guide is pretty out of date I believe. I like 777 harbour guide as it displays lots of information in an easy way to view. I think it is available now as an App. I sailed a lot in Croatia from 2000 to 2018 and always used 777 , firstly alongside Imray, then in later years alongside Navionics, but now I think Navily is beter for mooring information, it is generally more up to date.
You didnt say whereabouts you will collect your charter, let us know and then we can supply some suggestions.
As for anchoring, as one of the earlier posts pointed out, most places suitable for anchoring have buoys which you pay for, which are not too expensive. Harbours are in my mind very expensive as are the few marinas. There are obviously smaller coves suitable for anchoring without buoys and I expect Navily will provide information on those.