Resurrecting an outboard?

Quandary

Visit site
Ten years ago, 2008, I bought a new 2.5 hp Suzuki four stroke outboard to use with our Avon Redcrest. It was a long time before I had need to use it, mainly because I like to row, the Redcrest has proper wooden oars and our dog who accompanies me on most trips ashore likes my splashy rowing action. We took it with us for about three or four seasons but probably have used it for less than 5 hours so far. It was always easier to throw the oars in the dinghy than get it off the pushpit. Each winter it was run to dry in fresh water, (a wee run along the canal), before storing in the dry ventilated loft over the garage but the tank was not drained. It did not seem worth taking it out so it has been in there undisturbed, clamped upright to a shelf, for about five years. I took it down today with the intention of getting some use from it and am hoping that this does not involve anything too technical.
It still looks brand new so can I get away with tipping the fuel which still remains out of the tank and replacing it and cleaning the plug or is there anything else I should do before starting to yank on the cord?
Don't worry about stating the obvious, I know zero about outboards.

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
Fresh petrol is a good idea, the plug shouldn't need attention. It would probably be wise to turn it over ten times with the kill cord removed to get some oil on everything before you start it. An engine oil change would be on some people's lists.

steve66

N/A
Visit site
Fresh petrol is a good idea, the plug shouldn't need attention. It would probably be wise to turn it over ten times with the kill cord removed to get some oil on everything before you start it. An engine oil change would be on some people's lists.
If the fuel wasnt drained from the carb, you will possibly need a carb clean.

Sorry just noticed you ran it dry.... pour the old fuel out the tank, replace with new fresh fuel. Check oil level and give it a go in clean water. If alls well run it until warm, drained the oil and replace with new in the engine and gearbox

Last edited:

Wasco

Visit site
I've just had a similar problem with mine (same engine) although I suspect it was not run dry often enough. They are a littIe temperamental I believe. I found, after much dismantling, that rubbish in the tank had traveled into the carb because the in line fuel filter did not sit securely and crap managed to get through. Bit of a carb clean up and runs sweet as a nut now.

VicS

Visit site
Ten years ago, 2008, I bought a new 2.5 hp Suzuki four stroke outboard ........................

is there anything else I should do before starting to yank on the cord?
Don't worry about stating the obvious, I know zero about outboards.

Not necessarily before you yank its cord but before much use a new water pump impeller might not be bad idea.

seaangler23

Visit site
I’d pull the plug and give a little squirt of 2stroke into the bore turn it upside down for a second then pull it over a few times before putting the plug in and trying to start it, if it’s been sitting for 5yrs it could be very dry and wouldn’t do any harm on getting a film of oil over the internals before turning it over

Balbas

Visit site
Just running it dry won't empty the carb bowls, so you *may* still have fuel varnishing.

I'd change the oil, inspect the impeller, put fresh fuel in, take the plug out and pull it through on the starter for a minute or so before refitting the plug and firing it up. If it doesn't fire up within 5 or so pulls (check the fuel tap is now on!), I'd start to suspect the carb might need a clean.

Should be the work of 30 minutes if you're competent and have the tools to hand, or an hour if you're taking your time.

steve66

N/A
Visit site
I’d pull the plug and give a little squirt of 2stroke into the bore turn it upside down for a second then pull it over a few times before putting the plug in and trying to start it, if it’s been sitting for 5yrs it could be very dry and wouldn’t do any harm on getting a film of oil over the internals before turning it over

I wouldnt recommend turning a 4 stroke upside down before running. You run the risk of a hydraulic cylinder lock

seaangler23

Visit site
For a second, you would be doing well to fill the bores with oil past the rings or breather and hydraulic an engine with no plug, a good shake would do the same

Quandary

Visit site
Thanks for all the useful advice,
what I did; drained the tank, when dry there seemed to be some tiny rust flakes in the bottom, a long screwdriver with grease on the tip got them out, (the bit of metal spring rod that the filler cap is chained to was rusty)
Had a look at the plug, seemed clean and was sparking brightly.
Checked the oil, clear and up to level so decided to postpone the change until after a bit of running.
Also decided to postpone an impeller change as I had not got one.
Turned on fuel and choke, pulled cord three or four times and it started, let it tick over for a while, seemed to be pumping water but none dribbling from the pilot holes so will run it again a bit faster and check again.

The owners manual is over an inch thick in 13 languages but does not go beyond day to day use, for instance the impeller does not get a mention, so the responses helped and I am glad I asked.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
If you're going to do your own servicing, buy one of these https://www.force4.co.uk/quicksilve...EIawhVyA0N1ebBWfZiuKcYTMhyG-TwJwaAizCEALw_wcB
Just running it dry won't empty the carb bowls, so you *may* still have fuel varnishing.

I'd change the oil, inspect the impeller, put fresh fuel in, take the plug out and pull it through on the starter for a minute or so before refitting the plug and firing it up. If it doesn't fire up within 5 or so pulls (check the fuel tap is now on!), I'd start to suspect the carb might need a clean.

Should be the work of 30 minutes if you're competent and have the tools to hand, or an hour if you're taking your time.