Replace mast head aerial with Mast head Whip Antenna with Wind Vane question

kevsbox

www.kevsbox.com
Hi all
We havea centaur whicxh has no wind vane and I am missing it, We have a mast head aerial as in photos and my queston is if I purchase a VTRONIX Mast head Whip Antenna C/with Wind Vane or similar is it simple replace, are the wire connectors all a standard type?

1710703900440.png 1710703913725.png
Thanks in adance for any thoughts

Kev

MoodySabre

Visit site
The vtronix ones usually come with a cable and connector. Good opportunity to replace the old cable. You won’t know which connector is up there until you go and see it. Mousing a cable is quite straightforward.

samfieldhouse

Visit site
No, there are different connectors.
I replaced both my VHF and AIS aerials with Glomex Glomeasy models and corresponding RG8x cable - they use a specific connector.
An older aerial may have a different connector.

Refueler

Visit site
WHY replace whip antenna ??

You can add a wind vane to an existing whip .... all it is is a V mount that grubscrews lock onto the whip - then a short tube with the vane on top of the locked by the lip of the V mount.

I've converted plenty of whips for this ...

ZV6QUfil.jpg

mmmmm yes that's the bottom part of a small plastic Coca Cola bottle as my Anchor Light 'glass' - after the original broke.

kevsbox

www.kevsbox.com
WHY replace whip antenna ??

You can add a wind vane to an existing whip .... all it is is a V mount that grubscrews lock onto the whip - then a short tube with the vane on top of the locked by the lip of the V mount.

I've converted plenty of whips for this ...

ZV6QUfil.jpg

mmmmm yes that's the bottom part of a small plastic Coca Cola bottle as my Anchor Light 'glass' - after the original broke.
That is a very interesting solution which I will investigate because it would mean no need to replace and fit a new awerial. As per my photos my aerial is not a thin whip, it looks a little thicker. Does anyone know if wind vanes with these fittings can be purchased complete?

Refueler

Visit site
Blimey - just been looking at prices for a bit of plastic !! Not much cheaper than buying a whole antenna assembly !!

Since breaking my last one - I actually 3D print mine now ... the only part I have not managed to sort - is the V mount part ...

srm

Visit site

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
Last edited:

Rappey

Visit site
I Have a very nice powdercoated stainless steel stand alone wind vane that screws to the side of the mast. Its been extremely fat bstard seagull and his mates proof for the past 30 years and still looks like new.
I think mine is swedish but i found something similar (but not as nice) but since android has just updated i now cant find how to post a link. Grrrr

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240320_225342_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240320_225342_Samsung Internet.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 5