Replace flares or buy a PLB

Chris CJ

Visit site
Our flares have just gone out of date , just started to consider the following , due to there relative short shelf life and difficulties of disposing , should I replace these or not , purchase a PLB together with an electronic flare. We have an EPIRB and DSC on our 12m yacht sailed normally by wife and myself , south coast , Channel Islands and Brittany cruising area.
I would pleased to receive thoughts and comments

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I am a huge fan of pyrotechnics, just for their WOW factor in the 'last mile of a rescue'.

Personally, I don't leave the mooring without a pack, plus 10 miniflares and a Ocean Signal PLB3.

The idea that the PBL3 will wake/annoy any watchkeeper within five NM and alert the lovely people at Falmouth at the same time that I might need rescuing really appeals.

Had an interesting chat with a RNLI coxwain last summer. He is pro a LED 'flare', but I suspect that joe public would just see a pretty light and I've seen little UK evidence that they work in daylight. I understand the US CG has approved them.

Supertramp

Visit site
I did the same plus an EPIRB, and kept the flares on board (removing the really old ones!). And I got a handheld VHF radio.

Good that you can test the LED flare (and PLB) rather than assume it works.

Lightwave395

Me in Cowes, the boat back in UK now at St Mawes
Visit site
I have a 'big' RescueME EPIRB1 for the boat, two PLB's and RescueME EDF1 LED flares, one each for my partner and me.

I also have a RORC offshore pack of out of date pyrotechnics, often wondered how long, if ever, it would take for them to become 'safe' after being stored in a large bucket of water

Tranona

Visit site
While flares have that WOW factor there is little credible evidence they are of much use in summoning help in the sort of areas in which you sail. Even PLBs, EPIRBS and electronic flares are rarely used in coastal waters where you have a choice of DSC VHF and for most of the time mobile phone to summon help plus most likely AIS to identify your position as well.

Flares belong literally in the dustbin of history for the type of sailing most of us do. Different if you are going ocean cruising outside the range of land based communications but even then satellite communications are now common.

Stemar

Visit site
I got tired of replacing flares a couple of years ago and got an LED job. Since I haven't used it in anger, and pray I never do, I can't speak for its efficacy, but the fact that it lasts a couple of hours rather than a couple of minutes is a strong argument in its favour.

ash2020

Visit site
I hate the idea of fireworks on board. In my view, if you're in a panic situation the last thing you want is burning white-hot magnesium! I have an Odeo LED flare and a PLB and a VHF and a mobile phone. I figure that's probably enough.

ash2020

Visit site
While flares have that WOW factor there is little credible evidence they are of much use in summoning help in the sort of areas in which you sail. Even PLBs, EPIRBS and electronic flares are rarely used in coastal waters where you have a choice of DSC VHF and for most of the time mobile phone to summon help plus most likely AIS to identify your position as well.

Flares belong literally in the dustbin of history for the type of sailing most of us do. Different if you are going ocean cruising outside the range of land based communications but even then satellite communications are now common.
I totally agree, I think flares are not relevant in coastal waters.

B27

Visit site
In many boating areas, there are many RIBs, angling boats, ordinary chaps with speedboats, oiks with Jetskis etc, who won't be receiving any AIS or listening to CH16, let alone waiting for an EPIRB shout to work through the system.
These people will mostly take an interest when you let off a smoke flare.

Tranona

Visit site
In many boating areas, there are many RIBs, angling boats, ordinary chaps with speedboats, oiks with Jetskis etc, who won't be receiving any AIS or listening to CH16, let alone waiting for an EPIRB shout to work through the system.
These people will mostly take an interest when you let off a smoke flare.
Can you quote some real examples where this has resulted in saving a boat/life that would not otherwise have happened? - or even any examples at all where flares from a yacht in coastal waters has been the prime instigator of a rescue?

Tranona

Visit site
It might be worth buying one of two flares just to have something in date rather than a pack.
That is illogical as there are different types of flares for different scenarios. Which ones would you choose, and why?

38mess

Visit site
Just reading Steve Callahans book on how he spent 76 days in a life raft drifting across the Atlantic after his boat sank. he drifted to the shipping lanes eventually, but, all 9 ships he encountered didn't see him.
He set of flares when the ships were near, less than a mile in one case all to no avail. Probably no human watch keepers in the wheelhouse. His opinion would be a hand held VHF radio would be much better than flares. Although who would hear it?

Refueler

Visit site
I know of a number of cases along south coast of UK that rescues happened because of flares sigted by shore. I agree such cases are rare ... BUT

Try this simple test ... ask land person what they would do if they saw a red flare out on the water ... most will answer - Call Coastguard / 999. But an LED Flare ???

Even people in the street know about pyro flares .... so I am one who still believes in those antique style pyro flares.

To say just have them if you go offshore is daft ... sorry - but flares are a VISUAL item ... whether you are 1nm or 1000nm offshore.

Boathook

Visit site
I got rid of my flares and purchased an epirb. I also have an plb on my lifejacket plus an led flare. Add to this torches, handheld vhf I don't think much more can be done.

Nearly forgot about the red smoke flare to compliment the epirb plus the dinghy always inflated.

If I was going well offshore maybe some flares and certainly a satellite phone.

geem

Visit site
That is illogical as there are different types of flares for different scenarios. Which ones would you choose, and why?
A red parachute and an orange smoke.

We have the lot so not relevant to us.
Full set of flares.
2x EPIRBS
PLBs in each life jacket.
AIS transponder in each life jacket.
Red LED light 'flare'
2 fixed vhf
2x handheld vhf
Ocean spec Liferaft.
Flare gun.

Even with that lot, flare have there place in my opinion.
Lots of the stuff on my list could be taken out by a lightning strike. Not so with flares