Registration.

nortada

Visit site
Speaking from the outside - looking in, I think many liveaboards, who got temporary residency have no intention of pursuing permanent residency. Rather they plan to just move on or return to the UK.

We think we are are still temporary residents but again have no intention to pursue permanent residency. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

As to the future, who knows but I suspect the long term cruising community will reduce dramatically; largely due to the economic situation many are facing, but also the hassle factor.

So grateful we had the good years.

Last edited:

WindyWindyWindy

Visit site
There's a contradiction in this post. paragraph 2 states - the registration in Spain is compulsory when the boat is destined to be used by a natural or legal person residing or established in Spain.

Whereas para 3 & 4 say - registering the yacht in Spain is not required.

Which is correct?

It's not required, an EU flagged vessel can stay EU flagged in Spain.

I'm not sure that helps the OP though, as they're in Portugal.

WindyWindyWindy

Visit site
As to the future, who knows but I suspect the long term cruising community will reduce dramatically; largely due to the economic situation many are facing, but also the hassle factor.

So grateful we had the good years.
Im kind of hoping they move on and Morocco and Tunisia become more established. But it's only the Brits who are affected.

billskip

Visit site
It's not required, an EU flagged vessel can stay EU flagged in Spain.

I'm not sure that helps the OP though, as they're in Portugal.
Correct it doesn't help op re Portugal.
However a forign vessel can only remain in Spanish waters if the owner or user is not a resident. If the owner or user is a resident its necessary to pay the 12% tax

billskip

Visit site
Yeah, the op is in Portugal though.
Yes, which seems to indicate that the rules are different for each country.
I haven't read anywhere that anybody has actually been deported, fined or even asked to leave.(ok there have been some articles in the press but nothing convincing)
People should really get their facts from Gov before they travel instead of relying on what they got away with before

nortada

Visit site
People should really get their facts from Gov before they travel instead of relying on what they got away with before

Just wish it was that easy.

Which Government - UK or destination❓Who do you approach❓

The UK will state their interpretation but this may be different to the local take on the rules. It is not easy to get some destination states ‘understanding’ of the rules; nor is there any guarantee that the official confronting you is going to apply the rules as you anticipate.

On the plus side, yet to hear of anybody having any major problems.

billskip

Visit site
Just wish it was that easy.

Which Government - UK or destination❓Who do you approach❓

The UK will state their interpretation but this may be different to the local take on the rules. It is not easy to get some destination states ‘understanding’ of the rules; nor is there any guarantee that the official confronting you is going to apply the rules as you anticipate.

On the plus side, yet to hear of anybody having any major problems.
Agreed, its difficult, but if UK gov gives you a uk passport holder a facts list, this trumps anything that any immigration official may disagree.
That said, I wouldn't stand and argue with them over a stamp, I would continue and be guided by my gov list, should there be a problem you will have the backing of the UK embassy....if one try to interpret the rules to suit themselves and get it wrong ....well good luck with that.

nortada

Visit site
Agreed, its difficult, but if UK gov gives you a uk passport holder a facts list, this trumps anything that any immigration official may disagree.
That said, I wouldn't stand and argue with them over a stamp, I would continue and be guided by my gov list, should there be a problem you will have the backing of the UK embassy....if one try to interpret the rules to suit themselves and get it wrong ....well good luck with that.

An interesting concept that as a British holder, any advice that you get from the UK Government trumps anything that any (in country) immigration official may say. As you say, I wouldn’t argue the point and whilst they may give advice, don’t be too sure that the British will give you any actual support against their host country.

Having travelled the world, including some places far more iffy than the EU, if challenged my response has always been, “What a good idea” and depart as soon as possible.

Brits must be able to prove they can spend £85 a day to enter Spain another little wrinkle that could make life interesting.

Whilst this shouldn’t be a problem for residents, picture the scene as a Brit with Portuguese residency arrives off the ferry in Santander, with all of the tourists, planning to drive on to their boat in Portugal.

Suspect it is just scaremongering but it might be an idea to be prepared for such a line of questioning.

As some of the family are in the house in Ayamonte, it will be interesting to hear their take. Whilst they own the holiday property the do not have residency in the EU.

Last edited:

billskip

Visit site
An interesting concept that as a British holder, any advice that you get from the UK Government trumps anything that any (in country) immigration official may say. As you say, I wouldn’t argue the point and whilst they may give advice, don’t be too sure that the British will give you any actual support against their host country.

Having travelled the world, including some places far more iffy than the EU, if challenged my response has always been, “What a good idea” and depart as soon as possible.

Brits must be able to prove they can spend £85 a day to enter Spain another little wrinkle that could make life interesting.

Whilst this shouldn’t be a problem for residents, picture the scene as a Brit with Portuguese residency arrives off the ferry in Santander, with all of the tourists, planning to drive on to their boat in Portugal.

Suspect it is just scaremongering but it might be an idea to be prepared for such a line of questioning.

As some of the family are in the house in Ayamonte, it will be interesting to hear their take. Whilst they own the holiday property the do not have residency in the EU.
Having also travelled to many 'scary ' places, through checkpoints that sometimes can make you think it's a one way ticket, I adopt the attitude 'they are right, dont be confrontational ' several times through 'Checkpoint Charlie' can give one the willies.
However today with the instant information being accessible on the database it doesnt take long to sort the goodies from the baddies.
This is a simple system that we are all having to abide by, its easier for some like me that experienced before the EU and have reverted back, also being used to being a third country going to other parts of the world.
I do understand concerns for those that never knew the system before, but let's see if all this is as bad as is being imagined...I think not.

WindyWindyWindy

Visit site
Yes, which seems to indicate that the rules are different for each country.
I haven't read anywhere that anybody has actually been deported, fined or even asked to leave.(ok there have been some articles in the press but nothing convincing)
No idea what your point is, I never suggested anyone was being deported from Portugal.