Red diesel problems in Belgium again it seems

xyachtdave

Visit site
Re: Belgium fines boat with traces of red - June 2017

Why so quick to blame the skipper - with no evidence? The Belgians passed a law banning red diesel, they said they would fine users, they are fining users. So why must the skipper have been truculent?

Belgium businesses will suffer but tough luck and frankly it was only ever a handy stop over en route to Dutchland; a big shame if they loose out though, I like Dutchies, very phlegmatic race.

Because lots of people including myself visit Belgium without any problems.

Daydream believer

Visit site

He told me he didn't want to bring his ship's papers over 'for security reasons'. So, he had photographed them on his smartphone.

Somehow if i had been the customs officer faced with that scenario i would have read the riot act. Then put his smartphone on speed dial for the speaking clock & shoved it as far up his anal passage as it would go.
The bloke deserved all he got

Last edited:

Cantata

Visit site

I specifically asked the RYA if anything like that was involved this time and they said not.

westhinder

Visit site

I contacted the Belgian Customs with a number of questions on Friday and am still awaiting their full response.
In a first reaction the spokesman referred to the fact that use of red diesel in Britain is restricted to UK territorial waters, which according to him is mentioned in the document you receive when you refuel. I can't remember ever having seen that.
Anyway as soon as I hear more of them, I will post here.

sailorman

Visit site

I contacted the Belgian Customs with a number of questions on Friday and am still awaiting their full response.
In a first reaction the spokesman referred to the fact that use of red diesel in Britain is restricted to UK territorial waters, which according to him is mentioned in the document you receive when you refuel. I can't remember ever having seen that.
Anyway as soon as I hear more of them, I will post here.

Thanks
am i correct that commercial are allowed "marked fuel"

grumpy_o_g

Visit site
There would be absolutely no issue with red diesel if the UK played by the same rules.

Based on observation, my dear fellow. Observe for example, the people in this thread complaining both that (a) the EU forces the same rules on all member states and that (b) member states ignore the EU's rules.[1] As I have written before, Brexiters are either to stupid to appreciate what they have done to the country they profess to love, to old to care what they have done or, sometimes, both.

[1] Though there is some consistency, because a couple of them are people who previously complained that the Greeks didn't pay their taxes and then complained when the Greeks started forcing them to pay their taxes.

The only issue with the UK's interpretation is that, historically, we have used red as a marker, not green. This whole sorry mess is because of some idiot's inability to get over themselves and say, no problem, you carry on using red and we'll use green. Most countries are intelligent enough to ignore the problem as not exactly worth bothering about but some have to prove a point it seems.

For someone who is supposed to have a scientific approach (and I normally respect that greatly about you) it seems that, like so many, you don't appear able to carry that through to Brexit arena. The fact that the EU tries to force the same rules on every but that some member states seem better at ignoring them than others is actually one of my concerns about the EU. I doubt there's many that don't want co-operation between all European or EU countries but unfortunately politicians are involved, and they seem to accentuate all the worst characteristics of human beings meaning the reality bears no resemblance to the ideals. For some reason those political characteristics seem to be bleeding out into the electorate as well - not only is there no need for gratuitous insults, they are counter-productive as they merely antagonise the very people that the posts should be trying to influence and change their minds.

Last edited:

capnsensible

Visit site
Should you have the misfortune to to be stopped and intrusively probed by an over zealous Belgian Fuel Tank Inspector, try this simple ruse to avoid fiscal punishment.

Simply explain that the red dye in your tank has nothing to do with punitive European tax rules but is in fact symbolic of the blood shed by Allied Nations liberating the Low Countries from the yoke of Nazi Tyranny when they weren't even a twinkle in their Grandads eye.

That should show them, the potent lager swilling Tin Tins.

nortada

Visit site
There would be absolutely no issue with red diesel if the UK played by the same rules.

Based on observation, my dear fellow. Observe for example, the people in this thread complaining both that (a) the EU forces the same rules on all member states and that (b) member states ignore the EU's rules.[1] As I have written before, Brexiters are either to stupid to appreciate what they have done to the country they profess to love, to old to care what they have done or, sometimes, both.

[1] Though there is some consistency, because a couple of them are people who previously complained that the Greeks didn't pay their taxes and then complained when the Greeks started forcing them to pay their taxes.

Think this bleat is in the wrong place. :(

As you well know, in the Lounge there is a whole sub-forum given over to Brexit. :encouragement:

It would be a great pity if informative threads elsewhere became contaminated with Brexit rants and name calling :disgust:

The fence sitter? ;)

Iminei

Visit site
Can you support that statement with some technical documentation?

My understanding is that road diesel includes a (smallish) proportion of biodiesel. This can lead to diesel bug problems if left in the tank too long. I'm quite happy to have this understanding corrected.

No problem getting red here in Dorset.