Red diesel problems in Belgium again it seems

Tranona

Visit site
I really cannot imagine that the few measly sheckles that british yachtsmen spend in belgium would have any sway whatsoever on the grand scheme of things which goes beyond just our use of red fuel. It also has a bearing on fuel used by the fishing industry which i believe is the main point of disagreement

That is right. The two main issues are availability of fuel - that is fuel berths would have to install extra tanks to supply white in many areas where the majority of the demand for fuel is commercial, and the large number of boats on our inland waterways which are residential or semi, so the fuel used for propulsion is tiny compared with that for heating. The UK government's solution was to have the split between propulsion (where red is not allowed) and other uses such as power generation (where it is). This of course can be seen as fudge and open to abuse, but it was a pragmatic solution when derogation ended. The government stance is that it complies with the Directive which was always about removing tax concessions for particular specific uses. The Belgians believe it is marking of the fuel that is key and their law is written in such a way that use of marked fuel is illegal, not the differential duty. Hence going to the European court to resolve - very slowly!

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I really cannot imagine that the few measly sheckles that british yachtsmen spend in belgium would have any sway whatsoever on the grand scheme of things which goes beyond just our use of red fuel. It also has a bearing on fuel used by the fishing industry which i believe is the main point of disagreement

You may think that , and if that's was the case why would the RBYC complain it's hurting local business to their government , and for a time it worked , everything when very quiet .do anyone yet know the full story , did the boat have all his recited, ? Was he not carrying any in cans ? Did her keep a log on when he brought the fuel and the miles he did ?

Last edited:

sailorman

Visit site
You may think that , and if that's was the case why would the RBYC complain it's hurting local business to their government , and for a time it worked , everything when very quiet .do anyone yet know the full story , did the boat have all his recited, ? Was he not carrying any in cans ? Did her keep a log on when he brought the fuel and the miles he did ?

post 56

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?481588-Belgium-fines-boat-with-traces-of-red-June-2017

thalassa

www.wv-saeftinghe.nl
Re: Belgium fines boat with traces of red - June 2017

so no different from the plod pulling you over, then looks at your tyres ect.
when this was posted b4 there was no mention of no papers ect, just a fine for marked fuel
He told me he didn't want to bring his ship's papers over 'for security reasons'. So, he had photographed them on his smartphone.

Cantata

Visit site

He told me he didn't want to bring his ship's papers over 'for security reasons'. So, he had photographed them on his smartphone.
And so blatantly ignoring the clear advice that only the original papers, not copies, must be carried!

Cantata

Visit site

The SSR is so flimsy that it looks like a copy... but we carry it anyway.
Mine's laminated - had to produce in Dieppe this morning at the harbour office - and I don't think I laminated it, it came like it. Renewed last year.

dhobyb

Kirriemuir (Scotland) Boat at Shamrock Quay.
Visit site
I have a bit of a problem with all the excuse finding going on, it is clear to me that the Belgian gover ment do not want us, otherwise they would act as other EU countries have done and allowed UK yachtsmen to carry on having it onboard. My answer is simple if you do not go it will send a clearer message that all the whinging on this and other forums.

STATUE

Visit site
Corbyn or May? What's that got to do with red diesel?

Well perhaps we just as well get ready for the 2020 Parliamentary vote and give up our Red Diesel so then everything will be consistent across Europe - fancy Johnny Foreigner not understanding our bedroom tax subsidising our MOBOs!

Niander

Visit site
The only garage I have ever seen selling red diesel is the one just outside Wooler in Northumberland, which for as long as I can remember has had a pump for "Gazole". It's interesting to hear of at least one other one.

There are 2 in Whitby at least one in Scarborough that sell red i thought they sold it all over?

Niander

Visit site
Really?

Last time I bought some, four years ago, it was 90p/l and I had a five mile round trip and an hour of my time to get it. Let me do the sums.

0.90 X 20 = £18
Fuel to get the red = £0.50
Time at £50 an hour (as it is me I am not using my full hourly rate)

Total cost £68.50

Using white:

1.15 X 20 = £23.

Trip to get fuel, none as the garage is on the way to the boat.
Time to fill up an extra 10 mins to fill the jerry cans = £6

Total cost = £29

For me it is much cheaper to use white.

OK we don't usually cost our leisure time, but last time I looked at fuel pontoon the red was more expensive than I can buy white at the garage.

PS, I use less than 50 ltrs a year..

Yeah ok it wont work for everyone if the Garage is out of the way.

lpdsn

Visit site
- fancy Johnny Foreigner not understanding our bedroom tax subsidising our MOBOs!

Maybe more like the bedroom tax subsidising the administrative costs of collecting the tax on fuel. I'd heard it cost the UK £3m more to collect than the revenue they gained. Ireland has a much cheaper system whereby users are supposed to declare it on their annual self-assessed tax form.

Tomahawk

Visit site

So if you copy it and laminate it?
TBH, I am not sure if the one on board is original or the laminated copy?,