Red diesel problems in Belgium again it seems

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
My understanding is that road diesel includes a (smallish) proportion of biodiesel. This can lead to diesel bug problems if left in the tank too long. I'm quite happy to have this understanding corrected.

No problem getting red here in Dorset.
Thanks for the comment.

In the day job I work as a professional engineer and need to challenge things.

I've been using white for years and have not had any issues - OK my tank is only 100l, I use about 50l a year and it gets removed and cleaned every three years, but speaking with a number of fitters who work on heavy plant machinery they also have no concern about the use of white in our tiny wee engines.

Iminei

Visit site
Cheers! I've always wondered if the various additives for fuel, oil, gearbox oil etc etc are a triumph of marketing over science. Perhaps the diesel bug additives fall into this category!

Anyway, no immediate plans to go to Belgium so unless the French start fining us I won't worry about the (100%) trace of red in my tank!

sailorman

Visit site
Cheers! I've always wondered if the various additives for fuel, oil, gearbox oil etc etc are a triumph of marketing over science. Perhaps the diesel bug additives fall into this category!

Anyway, no immediate plans to go to Belgium so unless the French start fining us I won't worry about the (100%) trace of red in my tank!

Belgium has better bier than France

Daydream believer

Visit site
As I have written before, Brexiters are either to stupid to appreciate what they have done to the country they profess to love, to old to care what they have done or, sometimes, both.

Whilst this thread is not about brexit as such i understand the reason for the connection.
What does annoy me is the constant insults issued by those that voted remain poured on those of us that voted to leave.
I do not see near the same in reverse & wish that those "losers" would shut up & accept that some of those that voted to leave did think about the issues & not all those that did so are in fact that old as the rest of my family will confirm.
So could you please state your case & leave the insults. Then we may consider your points, however irrelevant or otherwise they may be

Last edited:

Heckler

Visit site
My understanding is that road diesel includes a (smallish) proportion of biodiesel. This can lead to diesel bug problems if left in the tank too long. I'm quite happy to have this understanding corrected.

No problem getting red here in Dorset.

Road diesel in Europe contains up to 5% bio, mandated by our tree hugging unelected federal european popinjays in the name of climate change, its renewable innit, except it aint! Ask the people in Indonesia where they are flattening rainforests to grow palm oil trees. Have you ever wondered why cooking oil used to be able to be bought for about 50p a liter is invariably over a pound a liter, even in Lidl? Its because market forces have forced the price of vegetable oil up in response to the amount being put in to road diesel. Or to put a Viago hat on, the federalistas are forcing firms to charge more so that more people dont use it as diesel fuel! People I know wait until the price of a 25 litre drum is down then buy them, they then pour it in to their elderly Renaults etc which smoke along like a mobile chip shop. The reason most red has bio in it is that the easy stuff is road diesel, marked with a dye and sold duty freeish
Stu

Heckler

Visit site
It is the UK 60/40 marked fuel that is the issue here, we caused this cock-up by non conforming

Thats what I said, why should we conform? Other EU countries have their little foibles why should we be told what to do by a little country made up of people that cant even agree a common language! and can hardly agree on a ruling Government?
Stu
Stu

Last edited:

Heckler

Visit site
Whilst this thread is not about brexit as such i understand the reason for the connection.
What does annoy me is the constant insults issued by those that voted remain poured on those of us that voted to leave.
I do not see near the same in reverse & wish that those "losers" would shut up & accept that some of those that voted to leave did think about the issues & not all those that did so are in fact that old as the rest of my family will confirm.
So could you please state your case & leave the insults. Then we may consider your points, however irrelevant or otherwise they may be

Hear hear!
Stu

westhinder

Visit site
Re: Belgium fines boat with traces of red - June 2017

Thanks
am i correct that commercial are allowed "marked fuel"
I think you are right, but I do not believe that includes charter yachts, as they are deemed pleasure craft.
As far as I know, red diesel is only available in large quantities, delivered by tanker lorry or boat.

chrishscorp

Visit site
It amazes me that people use white when it is not correctly formulated for marine use in the UK. White sold here has a short shelf life.

Come on chaps, just read through the thread and amazed it has taken till post 82 to get to the point, I only buy diesel from a pontoon as it is marine diesel, as it contains a much smaller % of bio than road diesel. I would guess if there were issues with fuel storage on your boat to start with and you pour in road diesel with min 5% and in some cases more of bio it will assist bug growth.

Here is a useful link on the subject

http://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-advice/regulations/Pages/red-diesel.aspx

Champagne Murphy

Visit site

I think you are right, but I do not believe that includes charter yachts, as they are deemed pleasure craft.
As far as I know, red diesel is only available in large quantities, delivered by tanker lorry or boat.

What grades are available for marine use? I.e., is it all FAME free?

westhinder

Visit site

What grades are available for marine use? I.e., is it all FAME free?

I cannot imagine that it is anything other than standard road diesel, given that there are three or four pumps along the coast. I do not see how they would produce a different mix in such small quantities.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Come on chaps, just read through the thread and amazed it has taken till post 82 to get to the point, I only buy diesel from a pontoon as it is marine diesel, as it contains a much smaller % of bio than road diesel. I would guess if there were issues with fuel storage on your boat to start with and you pour in road diesel with min 5% and in some cases more of bio it will assist bug growth.

Here is a useful link on the subject

http://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-advice/regulations/Pages/red-diesel.aspx
Is there any evidence that bug growth is a significant problem?