Red diesel problems in Belgium again it seems

nortada

Visit site
Why does this subject always have to degrade into abuse?
As I explained in another post, we are also the victim of this stupid controversy. You won't see me calling the Brits names, not that there is a lack of them

Especially on this forum. Sorry about that. If it makes any difference, I apologise on their behalf.

For what is worth, many of us Brits find it rather embarrassing but like the Brits who take the habits abroad.:disgust:

Very sorry.

nortada

Visit site
That is a serious problem. We try to avoid refuelling in the UK, as we are fined just the same if we are checked and found to have red diesel in the tank. I once made a special detour to Fox's Marina in Ipswich because I knew there is a road fuel station adjacent to the marina, borrowed two large jerrycans and a trolley and made two trips to the petrol station and back. I had to refuel because the crossing back to Nieuwpoort promised to be windless.
Belgian sailors would be grateful too if your government finally decided to get rid of the problem, but with brexit the chances of that ever happening are non-existent.
It's a pity, having a great cruising ground on your doorstep and being hindered by what is after all a trivial matter.

Yep the Walton Backwaters are fantastic.

Last edited:

grumpy_o_g

Visit site
I dont see any abuse! What I do see is some federalistic jumped up, non elected official, deciding to interprate some EU directive his way. The majority of the people in this country voted to get out of the EU partly because of stuff like this! I would also remind you that my grandfather went to your country in 1914 aged 16 to fight for the rights of people like you and my father was one of the engineers that was in France on the second day after D day helping Europe to liberate itself from the yoke of the Nazis! If it wasnt for us you would all be speaking a different language! So please dont try to belittle us when we complain about stupid mindless games played by unelected officials!
Stu

When you say "us", what part exactly did you have in defeating the Nazi's?

Cantata

Visit site
Re: Belgium fines boat with traces of red - June 2017

The RYA note has been updated, now saying that 3 more boats have been fined in Nieuwpoort and one in Oostende, in the last few days.

NormanS

Visit site
What a fuss about 50 miles of coastline. If there was a 50 mile length of coast, known to be plagued with traditional pirates, you just wouldn't go there. Why act differently in this case?

hisw

www.araminta.org.uk
Re: Belgium fines boat with traces of red - June 2017

That is annoying, we were planning on heading over there for the weekend in a couple of weeks. Dunkirk it is then!

Does anyone know how long it takes to get rid of the dye to an acceptable level - what is the acceptable level??

I don't think we have filled up with red in a couple of years as we usually fill up in Holland on our way back and then top up with cans if needed. We hold 250l so lasts quite a long time.

What do the Dutch and Belgiums do when they are over here, needing fuel?

chrishscorp

Visit site

apollo

Visit site
What a fuss about 50 miles of coastline. If there was a 50 mile length of coast, known to be plagued with traditional pirates, you just wouldn't go there. Why act differently in this case?

Because even going past at sea, there have been instances of Belgian Customs coming out in RIBS and boarding craft, unless that is you pass 12miles out!

Iminei

Visit site
So if the sudden urge to visit Belgium arose, how would I get rid of any trace of red in my tank? Don't traces of the dye linger for a very long time?

Supine Being

Visit site
So if the sudden urge to visit Belgium arose, how would I get rid of any trace of red in my tank? Don't traces of the dye linger for a very long time?

I remember reading somewhere that they work to a certain percentage. Certainly the rule doesn't require you to eradicate every conceivable trace of red, but they require you to have no more than, say, 5-10% concentration in your tank - but don't take this verbatim as I don't have the correct number to hand.