Red diesel problems in Belgium again it seems

Tin Tin

Visit site
Is there any evidence that bug growth is a significant problem?

Or even at all.
Our boat's been based in France for 6 years now, and since then we've always been filling up with white over here.
Never had a problem. If anything, diesel in France seems 'cleaner'.
Can't remember the last time I had a clogged fuel filter.

westhinder

Visit site
Just as a matter of interest but what do Belgium registered yachts and motor boats do when they need to refuel in British marinas with red diesel?

That is a serious problem. We try to avoid refuelling in the UK, as we are fined just the same if we are checked and found to have red diesel in the tank. I once made a special detour to Fox's Marina in Ipswich because I knew there is a road fuel station adjacent to the marina, borrowed two large jerrycans and a trolley and made two trips to the petrol station and back. I had to refuel because the crossing back to Nieuwpoort promised to be windless.
Belgian sailors would be grateful too if your government finally decided to get rid of the problem, but with brexit the chances of that ever happening are non-existent.
It's a pity, having a great cruising ground on your doorstep and being hindered by what is after all a trivial matter.

Tin Tin

Visit site
That is a serious problem. We try to avoid refuelling in the UK, as we are fined just the same if we are checked and found to have red diesel in the tank. I once made a special detour to Fox's Marina in Ipswich because I knew there is a road fuel station adjacent to the marina, borrowed two large jerrycans and a trolley and made two trips to the petrol station and back. I had to refuel because the crossing back to Nieuwpoort promised to be windless.
Belgian sailors would be grateful too if your government finally decided to get rid of the problem, but with brexit the chances of that ever happening are non-existent.
It's a pity, having a great cruising ground on your doorstep and being hindered by what is after all a trivial matter.

Agree completely.
We occasionally hear of a British boat being fined in Belgium, but we never hear of Belgians/Dutch/... boats being fined in their own country following a visit to Britain.
Surely this is a 2-edged sword. Belgium might miss out on visiting Brits, but Britain also loses Belgian and Dutch visitors.
When we completed our round Britain cruise last year, we spotted hardly any Belgian/Dutch boats on our side. Even in areas where you would expect them (east and south coast).
When we crossed from Ramsgate to Boulogne (and onwards along the French coast), the place was absolutely heaving with Dutch and Belgian boats.

Last edited:

westhinder

Visit site
Should you have the misfortune to to be stopped and intrusively probed by an over zealous Belgian Fuel Tank Inspector, try this simple ruse to avoid fiscal punishment.

Simply explain that the red dye in your tank has nothing to do with punitive European tax rules but is in fact symbolic of the blood shed by Allied Nations liberating the Low Countries from the yoke of Nazi Tyranny when they weren't even a twinkle in their Grandads eye.

That should show them, the potent lager swilling Tin Tins.

Why does this subject always have to degrade into abuse?
As I explained in another post, we are also the victim of this stupid controversy. You won't see me calling the Brits names, not that there is a lack of them

sailorman

Visit site
Re: Belgium fines boat with traces of red - June 2017

I think you are right, but I do not believe that includes charter yachts, as they are deemed pleasure craft.
As far as I know, red diesel is only available in large quantities, delivered by tanker lorry or boat.

I know of a yacht that arrived Oostende Saturday (with 3k Lts of fresh red o/b) no doubt to get "papers" signed & departed Sunday

Daydream believer

Visit site
In Le Harvre the diesel supply is from a self service road side filling stn with a long hose, dont try @ LW as the hose isnt quite long enough

I think that is incorrect. I filled up twice in the last 2 weeks from pumps on a fuel pontoon. I am sure that once was at low tide as i ran aground entering the harbour as i cut the corner near the wave break too close beteween the 2 pier heads

sailorman

Visit site
I think that is incorrect. I filled up twice in the last 2 weeks from pumps on a fuel pontoon. I am sure that once was at low tide as i ran aground entering the harbour as i cut the corner near the wave break too close beteween the 2 pier heads

It was correct as of a few yrs ago, things have obviously changed but the fuel will be similar white

Biggles Wader

Visit site
I was in Ramsgate a month ago and there were only 2 UK boats on our pontoon. it was chocker with French and Belgian boats so the fuel problem
doesn't seem to be bothering them.

As someone posted in this very thread,white diesel is available at Ramsgate so maybe that's why all the European boats go there.

Heckler

Visit site
As I explained in another post, we are also the victim of this stupid controversy. You won't see me calling the Brits names, not that there is a lack of them
I dont see any abuse! What I do see is some federalistic jumped up, non elected official, deciding to interprate some EU directive his way. The majority of the people in this country voted to get out of the EU partly because of stuff like this! I would also remind you that my grandfather went to your country in 1914 aged 16 to fight for the rights of people like you and my father was one of the engineers that was in France on the second day after D day helping Europe to liberate itself from the yoke of the Nazis! If it wasnt for us you would all be speaking a different language! So please dont try to belittle us when we complain about stupid mindless games played by unelected officials!
Stu

Biggles Wader

Visit site
Thats what I said, why should we conform? Other EU countries have their little foibles why should we be told what to do by a little country made up of people that cant even agree a common language! and can hardly agree on a ruling Government?
Stu
Stu

We don't have to conform and we have taken back control over this by having our own rules. That's sovereignty in action for you. Sadly, the lesson is that, sovereignty or not, we risk getting fined if we go to Belgium with traces of red in the tank because that sort of sovereignty means sod all in the real world where we all actually live.

Champagne Murphy

Visit site
I dont see any abuse! What I do see is some federalistic jumped up, non elected official, deciding to interprate some EU directive his way. The majority of the people in this country voted to get out of the EU partly because of stuff like this! I would also remind you that my grandfather went to your country in 1914 aged 16 to fight for the rights of people like you and my father was one of the engineers that was in France on the second day after D day helping Europe to liberate itself from the yoke of the Nazis! If it wasnt for us you would all be speaking a different language! So please dont try to belittle us when we complain about stupid mindless games played by unelected officials!
Stu

That's sounds pretty unpleasant to me, especially when someone has just tried to make a sensible contribution.

Biggles Wader

Visit site

Relax. Some of it is in jest but, its true, there are some mark one tossers on this forum who miss no opportunity to behave like adolescent lager louts.Just ignore them,most of us are quite civil.:encouragement:

Supine Being

Visit site
Stu

Yeah... that's pretty rude, knuckle-headed stuff right there.

Tin Tin

Visit site
Should you have the misfortune to to be stopped and intrusively probed by an over zealous Belgian Fuel Tank Inspector, try this simple ruse to avoid fiscal punishment.

Simply explain that the red dye in your tank has nothing to do with punitive European tax rules but is in fact symbolic of the blood shed by Allied Nations liberating the Low Countries from the yoke of Nazi Tyranny when they weren't even a twinkle in their Grandads eye.

That should show them, the potent lager swilling Tin Tins.

Stu

261n4zn.jpg

capnsensible

Visit site
Well scupper my starboard flip flop. Without wishing to resort to national stereotypes it's easy to see that satire is a whoosh not only for a certain small nation but for those that borrow a name too....

And tin tin, I found your response quite amusing. Are the last two t' s how you got your name? :encouragement: