Red Diesal IMHO

gjgm

Visit site
Re: Turkeys voting for Christmas

dunno,, surely there would not be less boats.. maybe just cheaper boats. At some point, new buyers come in, or people decide not to sell. That might be down from todays prices, but still the same number of boats.

Aardee

Visit site
Re: Turkeys voting for Christmas

Quite right, I never said there would be less boats. Just less spare cash for supposed luxuries like teak decks...

DaCostaGreene

www.mcproducts.net
I didn't mean the dimwit thing to sound nasty, sorry.

I am not even arguing that red diesal should or shouldn't be cheap or expensive. I am just asking why, I didn't realise I could drive the landrover in the field and use red, as long is it doesn't leave the field (sorry for not knowing that)

It just seems that everyone in here slams everything i say, then takes the pi$$ out of it and then get all funny about it when i defend myself.

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
Let me see now.

"I don't see why red should be allowed." means:-

"I think boaters in general should pay more tax and I trust the Government to spend any extra monies received both wisely and well."

Off to the funny farm with all despatch IMO.

Unless it means "All boaters are rich sods who can be soaked for a fair bit of extra cash." As the latter can easily be disproved and, much as I detest ad hominem arguments, the funny farm is still the solution.

DaCostaGreene

www.mcproducts.net
Just had a thought. This may sound ignorant but its not just the marine industry thats gonna be affected, is it?

If not (possibly already done) then why don't we (that includes me) join forces with agricultural and other machine users and have a picket?

No1_Moose

Visit site
Except you would burn loads of fuel building loads of new boats. I suspect they would also be radically different design and people wouldn't like a non conformist design for fear of resale e.t.c e.t.c. Face it, you don't buy a boat to make a point about your eco-consciousness do you!
What we need is an effort to introduce bio fuel into the market, not for cost reasons but because we need to start reducing our dependency on conventional oil as much as possible.
Even if red diesel was lost I don't think it would have nearly as huge impact as some people have predicted, yes it will have an impact but it won't be disastrous. Fuel is probably 4th on our list of annual boat expenditure. Mooring fees come first, followed by bits to keep the boat going, followed by gadgets and things, then fuel and then insurance.

Best to drop plastic teak from you product range really, it's oil based isn't it?

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
You should have read the article in yesterdays Daily Mail concerning our PM flying all the way to Aussie in a 777 aircraft with 71 passengers on board - just to talk about the environment and climate change.

"A round trip of 25,000 miles, and creating 250 tons of "greenhouse gas"."

DaCostaGreene

www.mcproducts.net
Yes it does need oil to be made. Wait till nearer Southampton boatshow, i'll show you a boat that's not radical, just a monohull lifted and put onto two hulls - watch this space, then we'll see what the industry has to offer.

No1_Moose

Visit site
hm, yes. I think this A380 idea from Airbus is a bit shortsighted. They are building an aircraft to take 700 passengers but how many flights have you been on that have been full? The 777 is very economical for what it is, it takes 70odd tons for an atlantic trip but the A380 is going to be buring erm, 150ish turns for the same flight. Yes, you can get more people on the a380 but I guess that on a standard flight the fuel burn per seat is going to be a lot more.
Funny thing is that aircraft actually keep the earth a bit cooler by creating contrails. The latest biojetfuel idea has a lot of water in it so that might kill two birds with a stone of the singular sense. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry, went off track a bit there.

oldgit

Visit site
Re: Red Diesel

Any chance of an explanation as to why this theory does not apply to motor cars.The cost of road fuel has increased at a far greater rate yet more cars are being sold than ever and more peeps are employed doing stuff to cars than ever.?
Could it be that the price of fuel caused more efficient cars to be built therefore cheaper to run and therefore cheaper to buy so more folks buy and the market expands.?