Recommendations for winter liveaboard locations in Spainsh rias

nicholat

www.yachtemerald.com
This year we had planned to cross Biscay to northern Spain, spending a couple of months in the Spanish rias before heading down Portugal and wintering in southern Spain. Unfortunately due to circumstances out of our control we have been delayed in the UK by 5 weeks so far and still don't know when we will get to leave.

We're now thinking the summer is getting away from us and we don't want to rush through the rias to get to our planned winter destination so are rethinking our options. These options being either to winter in UK and kick off our plan next year or to cross Biscay and winter in northern Spain, most likely west of La Coruna or round the corner into the rias Baixas.

I've looked at typical winter weather for the region which seems to be warmer but wetter than south west England.

We're full time liveaboards so would like a marina where there a few other liveaboards to add some social life.

We're interested in any first hand experience of wintering in northern Spain and recommendations of marinas that are sheltered and welcoming to liveaboards.

Thank you!
Nichola

Ariadne

The Mrs kids and boat are in Grenada. Me? I'm in S
blog.mailasail.com
La Coruna would be a good call, loads going on and plenty to see.

At anchor in Muros or Portasin YC marina in the Ria de Muros was nice, not many liveaboards there but friendly, but again a real place and Noia just up the road is great with easy access to Santiago Airport.

Villa Garcia marina in Ria de Arossa was buzzing and again a lively town behind it.

Baiona would probably be a good stop, two marinas one private and the other at the YC. Nice place to stay and a real town behind.

I' don't think you'll fins too many liveaboards in any of these places, but if you like mixing with the locals you'll have a great time. If you want lots of full time liveaboards around then I think you'll need to head down to Naare, Cascais or even further south.

I've spent quite a bit of time in La Coruna and always enjoyed the place. I've spent time at all the other places, but never a winter - but anywhere that has a real town (as opposed to a tourist town) has got to have a good chance of being a good place to winter.

Ludd

Visit site
don't even consider Baiona for wintering! The surge in there has to be experienced to be believed, the chandlery must make a fortune replacing broken rubber snubbers. I'd second Portosin.Vila Garcia also. Further inland you go ,the further from the huge swells that bedevil this coast in winter.

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
Endorse all that's gone before.

The rias are a wet place to winter. Think SW Wales. So you won't find big live-aboard communities. A Coruna is particularly wet, since it's exposed both to the northerly and westerly quadrants of moist Atlantic winds. Having said that, it's a lively and interesting city with lots going on. If you don't speak Spanish, it would be worth taking Spanish lessons over winter to enjoy the rias all the more next summer. It's my personal favourite . . . but I prefer a good city to an isolated (but buzzing) live-aboard community.

Villa Garcia is usually host to quite a few yachts wintering on the hard. I don't know about afloat though. It's a workaday town with good yacht support and repairs, rather than a beautiful place. The local rail station gives very easy access to Santiago. And its ria is big enough to provide day cruises to visit other places.

In Ria Muros, Portosin is a very small settlement, with a nice yacht club, but I don't know if it offers any action out of season! Muros, on the other hand, is a busier historic village and fishing port, rather beautiful. It now has a decent marina, so it's a lot more convenient.

More detail at [url]http://jimbsail.info/tidal-europe/galicia[/URL]

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Muros will probably be an awful lot cheaper than Portosin. However, it's pretty empty at present and we are meant to be in "alta" season. I think that there was one boat there with liveaboards but not certain how long they were staying. Friendly staff and town is nice with regular bus to Noia (about 6.20 Euro return).

Facilities are still in progress, currently 1 loo with shower and 2 other showers. Doubt that would be a problem in winter (barely a problem now). WiFi is v. poor unless you go to the office. The antenna is in the corner of the office & behind a brick wall. Even my Alfa unit had trouble connecting sometimes (fine from a couple of miles away though as signal was passing through less concrete). Plans to put in an external antenna but don't know when (much cheaper to get longer cables and move router nearer to the window.

I spotted some minor swell at outer pontoons at Villagarcia in good weather so might be bad in winter (Kisé keeps his boat there and will know what it is like).

Punta Lagoa and Davila are quite far out of town in Vigo and I wouldn't like to winter afloat. Davila are great for storage ashore (guess where I keep my boat in winter).

RobGill

Visit site
I sailed down that way 2008 but did not over winter, We stayed in Povoa de Varzim for a few days which is not far past the Rias so dont know much about the place but talking around I got the impression quite a few people over wintered there. They certainly had some good offers on at the time.