Recommend me a compact consumer unit

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
Okay so if I use the existing board and remove the rcd and fit-
16a rcbo for sockets
10a rcbo for water heater (1200w)
6a rcbo for battery charger
I can buy these three rcbos for £53 from Screwfix.
Yes but you should also fit a 16 amp MCB as an incomer isolator. Boathook refers! If you use compact units you will be OK for fit. You may have to use a 2 module unit for the MCB. Compact units are available RS is one supplier but they are not cheap. You may be able to get units at reasonable prices by doing an online search, but be careful of cheap Chinese units. I am not certain from your picture of the existing box if it is a 4 or 5, possibly 6 way? I can see at least 2 blanking spacers to the right of the RCD.
As a further note ref. the Garage unit in your previous post. I should add that the RCD used is the old AC type not TYPE A which should be used now. Another reason it is unsuitable!

mrangry

Visit site
I am still mulling over this and after looking inside the current box and seeing no busbars, grounding or neutral bar decided a new box is required.

After speaking with others in the marina and reading loads of posts about issues of reversed polarity even in UK marinas I am now also keen to have some kind of fixed warning lamp.

I see this Blue sea panel which looks all very nice but cant help feeling it is very overpriced for what it is. Am I over thinking this and just go out and buy a garage box with rcd and three mcbs..... my head hurts

Blue sea systems AC Main Branch A-Series Toggle Circuit Breaker Panel| Waveinn

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I am still mulling over this and after looking inside the current box and seeing no busbars, grounding or neutral bar decided a new box is required.

After speaking with others in the marina and reading loads of posts about issues of reversed polarity even in UK marinas I am now also keen to have some kind of fixed warning lamp.

I see this Blue sea panel which looks all very nice but cant help feeling it is very overpriced for what it is. Am I over thinking this and just go out and buy a garage box with rcd and three mcbs..... my head hurts

Blue sea systems AC Main Branch A-Series Toggle Circuit Breaker Panel| Waveinn
Horribly over priced. All you need for reverse polarity warning is a 240v neon wired between the Neutral and Earth. If the polarity is reversed it lights up.

VicS

Visit site
No, because the neutral is now live and the Earth is still neutral, so it's a circuit, no imbalance to trip the RCD ;)

(n)There will be an imbalance which could trip the rcd because the return path will be via the earth conductor not through the rcd.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
(n)There will be an imbalance which could trip the rcd because the return path will be via the earth conductor not through the rcd.
Yes, you're correct. The return path for the normal circuits is what should be the positive, so no problem there. In reality, the neon does not trip the RCD though, as it's current draw is so low, as post #24

st599

Visit site
The other thing you can fit is a panel mount Martindale which will check for incorrect wiring.

Blue Seas

Visit site
I don't want to hijack mrangry's thread but if a supplementary question IS OK then can I ask this,
I get the bit about RCBO's rather than RCD's (especially if starting over) so I checked my circuit breakers only to find that I have 'RCM's ?? (BEP Panels made in NZ and fitted with AC mains trip plus reverse polarity indication).
Are these ok or do I bin them? There is a large (70kg) isolation transformer between them and shore - do I need anything else? Belt and braces would be my preference.
Apologies for the slight drift.

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
I don't want to hijack mrangry's thread but if a supplementary question IS OK then can I ask this,
I get the bit about RCBO's rather than RCD's (especially if starting over) so I checked my circuit breakers only to find that I have 'RCM's ?? (BEP Panels made in NZ and fitted with AC mains trip plus reverse polarity indication).
Are these ok or do I bin them? There is a large (70kg) isolation transformer between them and shore - do I need anything else? Belt and braces would be my preference.
As far as I can deduce. RCM in NZ stands for Regulator Compliance Mark So nothing to do with Residual current? Perhaps one of our Kiwi contributors can assist, or perhaps a photo:unsure: It could be that they are just Miniature Circuit breakers (MCBs). Interesting thread drift. All adds to our knowledge 🙄

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
That's interesting - a google search gave me 'Residual Current Monitoring'
Yes but I think that refers to a system rather than a device. All rather confusing these TLAs:unsure: :ROFLMAO: As the Civil Service Memo said. " Three letter abbreviations should not be used as TLAs can be confusing":ROFLMAO:

PaulRainbow

Visit site
BEP panels are fine. They use MCBs.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
Another supplementary question - I fitted a unit sold for camping etc - an rcd and 3 outlet sockets in a plastic housing. Also fitted an external EU connection for the cable in the cockpit. Only problem has been is that the sockets are mounted vertically so not really enough room for the plugs & cable resulting in the lids breaking. New ones nowadays have the sockets orientated horizontally so much better.

Aurai

Visit site
you could think outside the box, put all your connections, save an emergency stop switch, into a suitable closed box. Using DIN Rail. The Garage Unit, is carefully designed to be placed at an approved switch height for safe access in day to day use and emergency use. 1200 mm usually, but they can be down to 750mm I believe. Once in a boat, if like mine, very awkward to reach in a hurry. The box can be out of sight, but run one of those bright red stop buttons on a yellow plastic holder in the circuit, where you can use it.