Raymarine ST60 Paddle Wheel Simulator

Forty_Two

Visit site
Try "INTOSC - I/O function to ..." the one with the data I/O.

If you Compile and Build in mikroC it should switch to mikroProg with the right settings.

When i switch to the programmer the "Oscillator" drop down box is set as "ECH - External Clock".

However i slightly misled you as i am programming the PIC using the Pickit3 with "MPLAB IPE v3.45". This loads the built hex from "mikroC Pro" ok, & has no problem finding the PIC & programming & then verifying ok.

I just did it all again with exactly the same result. As you said earlier the Osc must be ok or the calibrate mode would not work correctly, which it does. It seems as if it will not read the $GPRMC sentence or not extracting the speed.

This is the sentence sent from the simulator:
$GPRMC,142710.44,A,5112.755,N,00110.100,W,0009.0,000.0,281116,0.0,E,A*13

Any chance if i send you a couple of PIC's you could put your known good hex on for me as my knowledge of PIC's is only just above zero!

Thanks, Paul

verona49

Visit site
Thanks Nigel, no there was no hex file in your zip download.

I just loaded the hex into "mikroProg Suite" & the "Oscillator" setting is shown as "ECH -External Clock, High-Power mode:CLK" which doesn't seem right, i will try setting it to "INTOSC - I/O function on OSC1/CLKI".

MCU clock is shown as 16MHz in the project settings & you do have OSCON in the code for the setting the Osc to int & 16MHz so can't see why that setting is the way it is when i load the hex. Other bits seem to setup ok.

As you say it seems unlikely as the calibrate mode outputs ok. Should the LED be permanently on in Calibrate, i wasn't quite sure from the code?

I will try changing this setting in the morning.

Thanks, Paul
I have built your paddle wheel simulator using standard components on a piece of veroboard.

Am testing it using an old Garmin GPS45 in simulation mode, tried it outputing 0183 v1.5 & v2.0. When this didn't work i downloaded a PC GPS simulator which shows the $GPRMC sentence & it's contents, so i know the speed is in the sentence.

After power up with no input the LED is Off & output not switching as expected.

After connecting the 0183 signal the output is a square wave with a period of around 2 secs in each state & a short
LED flash every 10/11 secs. When i remove the 0183 input the output stays the same & the LED continues the short flash every 10/11 secs. With both sources i get a nice pulse train on RA5 & a short LED flash every 10/11 seconds.

Calibrate mode works when i use the jumper (0v > RA0), continuous LED & correct freq on the output, nice square wave pulses no problem.

I started using the PC simulator (sending $GPRMC & checksum) as i thought the Garmin may not be fully compliant as its rather old, however that makes no difference.

I had no apparent trouble when i did the hex build & no issues flashing the PIC.

The hex file shows as 11,327 bytes on my PC, does that sound about right?

I just opened your project file in "mikroC Pro for PIC" & did the build. Then used "mikroProg Suite for PIC" with a Pickit3 programmer to flash the PIC before installing in your circuit.

I think i have proved the input & output to the PIC are ok with the above tests, so i am left with either an issue over my build of the hex file or some strange NMEA 0183 issue.

Thanks for any help, Paul
Hello.
I apologize for my incorrect English.
I would like to build the "Raymarine ST60 Paddle wheeel simulator" of this thread, but the site where nigelmercier posted the .zip file no longer works.
I can't contact nigelmercier.
Can you give me some help on this?
Thank you in advance.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Hello.
I apologize for my incorrect English.
I would like to build the "Raymarine ST60 Paddle wheeel simulator" of this thread, but the site where nigelmercier posted the .zip file no longer works.
I can't contact nigelmercier.
Can you give me some help on this?
Thank you in advance.

Unfortunately Nigel died a few years ago.

However, you can now buy the paddle wheel simulator as a commercial product. Look at CruzPro Products for the SOG1 and SOG2. The SOG2 has GPS built in but is a little more expensive. I have a SOG1 and it works really well with my Raymarine ST60 system.

Richard

stuartsailor

Visit site
Goodmorning,

How did you wire the sog1/sog2 to raymarine.
The raymarine speed input gives off 7 volts nominal and the cruze pro requires 10.5 minimum. If I use an external 12v power source then there would be a single wire to attach to the raymarine input.

Forty_Two

Visit site
Goodmorning,

How did you wire the sog1/sog2 to raymarine.
The raymarine speed input gives off 7 volts nominal and the cruze pro requires 10.5 minimum. If I use an external 12v power source then there would be a single wire to attach to the raymarine input.
Exactly that. For the Sog1:

12v to A (0v) & D (+v), Nmea to C & a single screened wire from B to my Tridata master.

Works a treat.

stuartsailor

Visit site
Exactly that. For the Sog1:

12v to A (0v) & D (+v), Nmea to C & a single screened wire from B to my Tridata master.

Works a treat.
Thankyou, that's what I was wondering, if the seatalk speed input would accept only having the pulse wire attached and the power 12v + & - separate. Thought I would ask be just doing it.
Cheers

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Unfortunately Nigel died a few years ago.

However, you can now buy the paddle wheel simulator as a commercial product. Look at CruzPro Products for the SOG1 and SOG2. The SOG2 has GPS built in but is a little more expensive. I have a SOG1 and it works really well with my Raymarine ST60 system.

Richard
Does anyone know what happened to CruzPro and whether it is still possible to purchase a SOG1??