Racing and Fishermen

Laurin

Visit site
Bit of a confession: Racing in the Sail East Regatta at Burnham over the weekend in one of the class 4 boats, we were on a kite leg against the tide. Obviously everybody is trying to keep in the shallows out of the tide, then we spot 3 guys anchored in a small launch, fishing. Lots of shouting and arm gestures trying to convice the fleet (unsuccessfully) to go round the outside of them, but there was at least 20 yards between their lines and the shore so anybody serious about winning was always going to go between the boat and the shore. As we sailed past they were not too pleased (not sure what sailing boats do to the likelihood of catching fish but I guess it can't be good!) and said that the hoped we would sink! We hadn't got too near his lines, and had been quite polite until we heard their language, not very pleasant. Almost felt sorry for them, 'cos we were the 4th boat through and there were another 50 behind us in the fleet going to come through the same gap. As I said, we were one of the smaller boats!

<hr width=100% size=1>

duncan

Visit site
As a small boat fisherman there are times you have to accept this situations and times you don't.
Edge of channels and a race means the yachts are there for a purpose and as ong as they do not infringe on safety, and preferably keep clear of your lines then thats life.
Equally drifting major channels like the Swash in Poole is going have boats of all types passing very close, often at speed.
However, when you are anchored in the middle of nowhere it is really no great shakes for boats to give you a reasonable berth - but they don't. Poole Outer Patch (rocks) is in a straight line between Poole Entrance and IOW. Everyone just sets the autopilot asnd piles through....totally unecessary. If I ran by you (them) at teh same distance /speed when you have chosen to stop for a cup of tea - alum bay for example they would (rightly) get well pissed off.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Birdseye

Visit site
am neither a fisherman nor a racer. seems to me that it was inconsiderate at best to go so close to 2 boats that were already anchored just because you want to win a race.

got to smile though. racers and fishermen are made for each other. neither group thinks that colregs apply to them.

<hr width=100% size=1>