PT11: Leo’s new nesting dinghy

Hacker

Visit site
I wonder if he actually means a RIB, which is still pretty bulky with just the tubes deflated.
Of course a folding RIB could work. I think he wants to be able to hide it away since it would spoil the look of the boat.
I suspect a flubber, I can t remember the actual words used.

Kelpie

Visit site
He said roll it up and put it in a locker = flubber……
It's crossed my mind that we might end up doing the same. I love our plywood tender, but we may find that once we're in the Caribbean that we really need something that can take a 10-15hp outboard. So the only realistic way to do that would be an air floor flubber, and accept the limitations that come with that.
I'm crossing my fingers that the dinghy we have will do the job though. It does 5.5-6.5kt depending on load, with an ancient 3.5hp 2 stroke. I'd like to try a 5 or 6hp if I can borrow one...

geem

Visit site
It's crossed my mind that we might end up doing the same. I love our plywood tender, but we may find that once we're in the Caribbean that we really need something that can take a 10-15hp outboard. So the only realistic way to do that would be an air floor flubber, and accept the limitations that come with that.
I'm crossing my fingers that the dinghy we have will do the job though. It does 5.5-6.5kt depending on load, with an ancient 3.5hp 2 stroke. I'd like to try a 5 or 6hp if I can borrow one...
The Honwave roll up types may suit you. Large tubes keep you dry and they will take a large motor. Not as durable as a rib but a reasonable compromise

Kelpie

Visit site
The Honwave roll up types may suit you. Large tubes keep you dry and they will take a large motor. Not as durable as a rib but a reasonable compromise
We had a Honwave at my old work. It was nicknamed 'The Pig'. It was very heavy, pretty sturdy, and very stable. But like most inflatables the rowlocks were not up to the job and broke after moderate use.
I'll be a bit disappointed if we end up going down that route but I'm not going to be a purist about it. Any PVC flubber in the tropics is going to be more or less disposable anyway.

geem

Visit site
We had a Honwave at my old work. It was nicknamed 'The Pig'. It was very heavy, pretty sturdy, and very stable. But like most inflatables the rowlocks were not up to the job and broke after moderate use.
I'll be a bit disappointed if we end up going down that route but I'm not going to be a purist about it. Any PVC flubber in the tropics is going to be more or less disposable anyway.
The kite school on Antigua run a fleet on Honwaves for teaching. No chaps on them and they stay in the sun all season. They seem pretty durable.
Few people row in the Caribbean unless you have a good hard rowing dinghy. Distances are considerably further than you might be used to in Europe. We carry 7 ft oars for our hard dinghy but very rarely use them. We used to find it was easier to paddle a rib than row it

sailorbenji

Visit site
Recently ordered a PT-11 that will ship next week. Not sure what I am more excited about: the building project or the finished sailing/rowing/ motoring dinghy
Are you in the UK, or US? There was talk of UK distribution being set up, but not heard anything since my initial enquiry shortly after Leo's video.

X49Sailor

Visit site
I am in US. Ordered the kit from Chesapeake Light Craft. I think they ship everywhere but not cheap. First step was to join panels end to end since the shipping package was only 7’ long and boat is 11’. Instructions are really clear and detailed. So far I am on p50 out of 300 pages. Great fun when you get to the assembly stage and it starts to look like a boat.

Attachments

• IMG_3818.jpeg
    IMG_3818.jpeg
    950.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3820.jpeg
    IMG_3820.jpeg
    888.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3821.jpeg
    IMG_3821.jpeg
    402.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3825.jpeg
    IMG_3825.jpeg
    709.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3828.jpeg
    IMG_3828.jpeg
    869.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3832.jpeg
    IMG_3832.jpeg
    825 KB · Views: 54

X49Sailor

Visit site
They call it a jigsaw joint. Even though the plywood is only 1/8” thick, the joint is a tight fit and feels as strong as the plywood once glued with epoxy. The layers of fiber glass mat and epoxy on each side should make it even stronger. So far have just put fiber glass on the inside of each panel. The outside layer is put on with the boat assembled.

38mess

Visit site
I am in US. Ordered the kit from Chesapeake Light Craft. I think they ship everywhere but not cheap. First step was to join panels end to end since the shipping package was only 7’ long and boat is 11’. Instructions are really clear and detailed. So far I am on p50 out of 300 pages. Great fun when you get to the assembly stage and it starts to look like a boat.
Thats starting to look amazing. Loving the workshop also

Frogmogman

Visit site
Takes me back to the mid 70s when I built a Jack Holt Streaker from a kit when I was about 14. Very satisfying.

I imagine the accuracy of the cut out of the panels is way better these days with modern laser cutting etc.