Power Cats - the video

MapisM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I can't see how a 52 could be bought in the US for just over $1m.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I just said I wouldn't be surprised if it could - I didn't promise anything... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
[ QUOTE ]
Whats the point in actually having a list price at all if you're going to give away such a massive discount?

[/ QUOTE ]
That's a sensible point, but I know some Italian builders which deliberately publish nonsense prices, because they feel that the customer will bargain for huge discounts anyway.
And those discounts vary also depending on the order portfolio!
A couple of years ago I supported a friend of mine in the purchase of a 30' sportcruiser, and we were able to get about 15% MORE discount - compared to the year before - just because at that moment the builder didn't have many orders on hand. The total reduction compared to the "list price" was closer to 50% than to the 40% which you mention...
[ QUOTE ]
if the 52 was priced at around $1m, that would make it a very attractive boat IMHO. It's the best looking motor cat I've seen and, at 5.4m beam, you might just squeeze it in to some 18m or 20m Med berths

[/ QUOTE ]
100% agreed. I'd also give it a thought!

MapisM

Visit site
Yup, the sea ain't bad at all. But!
Considering the boat speed, and the reaction (total absence of, that is) of the boat against the waves, I must say I'm impressed.

MapisM

Visit site
That would be interesting.
I'll also ask around a bit, and will do the same if I get any reliable feedback.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

OK, can you help me get 50% off a new Ferretti 510? If you can, I'll place the order today

MapisM

Visit site
No way I'm afraid.
As I said: 'In some cases, it is almost impossible to achieve a 10% discount even without any boat to exchange'.
Ferretti (group, not only the brand) is one of these cases.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Then what makes you think that Innovation will give way 40% when most manufacturers like Ferretti only give less than 10%. Sorry, but there's no logic to it

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
Mike
I am findoing out the price range for the 52 so we can actually see what it is.

All that matters is the price you pay, not the price asked.

The price asked varies from amke to make - some add a lot on so they can take a lot off.

MapisM

Visit site
Hey, I never said that I expect those guys at Innovation to be crazy...!
My point was that they would hardly be competitive in the US market offering such boat in the 1.5-2 million range, hence... 'I wouldn't be surprised' by a much lower price.
That's just a possibility which I expressed, innit? I might well be wrong, we'll see.

Re. the logic, actually there is one - though rather tricky, I must admit.

Let's follow your Ferretti example.
In Forlì, they make themselves proud of getting a brand premium price in the 20% order of magnitude.
In other words, they could lower their selling prices by 20%, and still make a profit in line with the industy average.
But why should they, as long as they can fill their production lines at higher prices?

Other builders can be (and believe me, some quite often are) in a completely different situation.
Less recognised brands are much more subject to market downturns.
Sometimes they depend on the success (or lack of) of a very few models.
When faced with the alternative of not selling at all, they can accept to sell just on very marginal profits, to keep the business running and waiting for better times.
Of course this is more frequent with small(ish) builders - which doesn't necessarily mean small boats, nor poor quality.

But that's just to explain the "logic" behind some of these cases.
Whether and by how much it can be applied to Innovation, as of today I don't know.

jimg

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think innovation are a small, young , hungrey builder who want to establish and build on a reputation. Nor do they have the overheads of the larger concerns.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you should become the local agent?

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
They would have to do something very special to resolve warranty problems - I agree.

For a lot of builders like Marlow, it does not really matter too much where the boat is as it is alweays a long wau away - to them they might as well fly to scotland as fly to Vancouver - and they do. Small items are dealt with locally and they pay the bill but they do really support the boat no matter where it is.

tcm

Visit site
excelent. Praps buy a second hand boat though? - that way you're guaranteed not to have any surprises or at least, a massive lunk of spare cash to fix anything and everything. Though 50foot cat with decent everything and power enuf for whizziness should be not too ££

If you are going to oz, ask about what an oz (nz?) specification entails - it may be better spec or different but it is not the same as european i believe - it is not easy to sell european-spec boats in aus i believe.

Also if you are mainly interested in the ride at 9 knots er may as well get a mast as well and do 0 gallons per mile and still do 10 knots sometimes?

Yes, master cabin wise they oughta be able to have main cabin of which the bed straddles the two hulls which makes the cabin quite giantish altho not with monstr headroom above the actual bed.

The "performance" (?) at anchor is also a factor i think - i had a 2-week cat charter in pacific and never went into a marina once - speedboats whizz by but the boat hardly moves. However, i still felt i oughta shout "it's a five knot limit for crissakes" for forms sake :)

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
Re: Power Cats - The Prices

Ex factory asking prices ( Im still think there is some room with these) are, at todays conversion rates, ex factory, excluding VAT of course:-
52 footer £793k
60 footer £1.2m
The 65 footer is the 60 with the bathing platform and is a little more.

MapisM

Visit site
Re: Power Cats - The Prices

Yup, those are their list prices.
I asked around a bit, trying to get some indications about actually paid prices.
That's usually not so difficult, and can show unexpected differences sometimes.
But in this case I couldn't get any reliable info.
Well, the fact that - apparently - they did not sell one single boat in Europe so far is definitely a good reason for such difficulty...!