Power Cats - the video

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
Ok here is a video of the Aussie Power cats - they will design a boat to a wide range of sepcs including a roof extending right over the back, enclosed flybridge etc.
The accomodation spans the width of the boat so getting away from cramped style rooms and it comes with a hydrofoil option.

I have no commercial interest whatsoever in posting this.

Range at 9 knots over 4000 miles at over 2 Nm per gallon.

Top speed approx 33 to 37 knots although engine options allow even faster and at 20 knots you get 0.5 mpg which is not bad for such a speed.

Will post more video and more info if required.

You will really need broadband to watch it.

The Power Cat Video

KevB

Visit site
It looks like it fell out of the ugly boat tree and hit all the branches on the way down. It's not till they build a cat similar to the pictures Jez posted some time back (may look for them later) that I'd even think about buying one. Even if I had the money....

Nautorius

Visit site
That is one amazing craft.......

I think Cats are the way to go for most people, if you would just open their eyes! As with most Premium Cats, they offer custom build facilities to get the boat you want...and at the same price as conventional build as well.

Cheers

Paul /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nautorius

Visit site
Even if you could buy a 30ft Cat, semi-custom build which gives you more space than existing boat, more economy and more practicality. With Cats looks are secondary, as long as they are not offensively ugly!

They have legs I think

Paul /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Whitelighter

Visit site
I think the newer 52 is a bit better proportioned. From the same builder:

52_frontpage.jpg

KevB

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think the newer 52 is a bit better proportioned. From the same builder:

52_frontpage.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that's more like it. Now if only I had the money.....

DAKA

Visit site
I expected to hate it but it looks exceptional /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Are there any drawbacks , loss of storage space ?

andyball

Visit site
is o.5mpg @20knots that good? - how do Marlow's of similar size compare?

and when can I give it the once-over? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bajansailor

Visit site
I think that the reason why Kev is not outrageously enamoured with this impressive beast in the video (apart from in-built latent prejudices, which we all have) is that the enclosed flying bridge certainly does not do it any favours - in the same way that an enclosed flying bridge on a monohull can spoil the appearance dramatically.
I think she would look much better with an open flying bridge - and even if you have a bimini and side screens, you dont 'see' these in the same way as if they are a 'solid' structure.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - while sea-keeping ability is perhaps the ultimate test - I challenge anybody who has stereo-typed negative views of power cats to just go out on one, preferably in some fairly rough stuff, and see how she handles in comparison to a monohull of the same length.
I think that you will be pleasantly surprised, and that she will be 'beautiful' before the end of your trial.....

rickp

Visit site
I'm sure she'd be beautiful right up until you get back to your berth and the marina want 1.5x or turf you out 'cos they haven't got space for a boat with such a beam. The 60 seems to be 6.0m beam compared to the more normal 5.0metre or less on a monohull.

I guess its even more of a problem in the med where you'd struggle to get into an 20x5metre berth.

Rick

MapisM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think she would look much better with an open flying bridge - and even if you have a bimini and side screens

[/ QUOTE ]
An open fly with side screens is what is actually fitted on the boat methink, just the top seems an hard one.
It's probably going to look much better just with the proper video ratio, imho.

rickp

Visit site
Sure Paul, but its still over a metre wider than a similar lengthed Sealine, Princess or Fairline. In most of todays congested marinas, that is going to be a problem - particularly if everyone starts buying such beamy boats. Same problem in the med, where berth widths are very important, to get a berth 6.5m wide (boat + fenders), you're probably up at the 25m length or more (from a quick poll around a few websites).

Rick