powdered milk on board. ?

NickRobinson

Visit site
I can't comment on this product but I swapped from UHT to powdered skimmed milk (Marvel then own-brand) to avoid waste on extended summer cruises.
The trick was to decant from main container to smaller in-use container to reduce spoilage.
I used some of last year's at the weekend, fine.
I don't mind UHT though, its all I use at home. That milk for toddlers looks a little complex?

johnalison

Visit site
I don't know about Nido but we sometimes use Five Pints dried milk. We use it as a whitener and for making milk desserts such as ground rice, and I am assured that it is fine with cereals. Normally, we use Coffee-Mate with tea or coffee when fresh is not available. Ships orders bar the stowage of UHT milk.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I find UHT milk is one of the many things that taste disgusting ashore, but somehow quite palatable, even rather pleasant, once afloat!

More recently, though, I've been cultivating the habit of drinking tea and instant coffee black in order to reduce the need for milk aboard (and at work). Once over the initial hurdle it's not bad.

Mudisox

Visit site
Sell by date is important as the powder does seem to go slightly rancid over time once opened. UHT seems to last well even out of the fridge but in the bilges.

coopec

N/A
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if you guys have heard of John Sanders as I suppose he's a bit like Knox-Johnston and Chichester to us.

John Sanders is a West Australian and has just taken off on his tenth circumnavigation. I don't know how he does it because he doesn't have a fridge or freezer! Imagine living on powdered milk, baked beans and bully beef?

Clive

Last edited:

prv

Visit site
I'd feel weird using baby milk in my tea, even more so on cereal etc.

Surely there are other powdered milk products available?

(We only do coastal cruising in Ariam, and have a good fridge, so no problem using fresh and I have no experience with powdered.)

Pete

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
I wouldn't be surprised if you guys have heard of John Sanders as I suppose he's a bit like Knox-Johnston and Chichester to us.

John Sanders is a West Australian and has just taken off on his tenth circumnavigation. I don't know how he does it because he doesn't have a fridge or freezer! Imagine living on powdered milk, baked beans and bully beef?

Clive

I do not have to imagine it

welcome to KTL

never had a fridge

always have UHT, baked beans and tinned beef on board

making me hungry now

D

sailorman

Visit site
I'd feel weird using baby milk in my tea, even more so on cereal etc.

Surely there are other powdered milk products available?

(We only do coastal cruising in Ariam, and have a good fridge, so no problem using fresh and I have no experience with powdered.)

Pete
WE TAKE FRESH, & ITS FROZEN, THIS GIVES THE FRIDGE A GOOD START ( sorry cap lock ) to cool the bier

VicS

Visit site
The only way:

DSCF1618.jpg

johnalison

Visit site
It was a bit like the Boston tea-party when we disposed of some Yorkshire tea that we acquired in error. Some tainting from UHT would have been welcome.

neil_s

Visit site
I find Sainsbury's own brand is OK in tea and coffee and have a tinful on board. To get the best out of it, you need to mix it up with water first in a jug, though.

Halo

Visit site
We have been using "Cravendale" milk all summer. Its proper milk and tastes like it. The difference (other than price) is that it has had all the bacteria filtered out and hence it lasts for ages even without the fridge.
Dont take my word for it - just try it !

Heckler

Visit site
Does anyone have experience of Nestlé's Nido powdered milk please ?

I know it's formulated for babies, but I am looking at the storage and taste performance over UHT .

https://www.nestlenido.com/en#aboutnido

TIA
Tim
not answering your question, but! For what its worth, we started using UHT on the way down to Portugal and now keep up to 6 ltrs under the floorboards at any one time. When we can, we use fresh, although sometimes can be hard to find. I must say that really speaking it doesnt bother me now, semi skimmed UHT tastes fine even on the bran flakes and muesli in the morning.
Stu

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Tim
not answering your question, but! For what its worth, we started using UHT on the way down to Portugal and now keep up to 6 ltrs under the floorboards at any one time. When we can, we use fresh, although sometimes can be hard to find. I must say that really speaking it doesnt bother me now, semi skimmed UHT tastes fine even on the bran flakes and muesli in the morning.
Stu

+1

Skimmed (or semi-skimmed) UHT tastes much better then full fat UHT. The reduced fat means reduced lactose produced from the sterilisation process is the explanation I was given.

We always keep some skimmed or semi-skimmed UHT on board.