powdered milk on board. ?

prv

Visit site
We have been using "Cravendale" milk all summer. Its proper milk and tastes like it. The difference (other than price) is that it has had all the bacteria filtered out and hence it lasts for ages even without the fridge.

I usually keep one of those (or the supermarket equivalents which are starting to appear) in the fridge at home for when I run out of normal milk. It lasts for almost a month if unopened. Didn't realise it would keep even out of the fridge - thanks. As you say, it tastes exactly like any other milk.

Pete

Hydrozoan

Visit site
+1

Skimmed (or semi-skimmed) UHT tastes much better then full fat UHT. The reduced fat means reduced lactose produced from the sterilisation process is the explanation I was given. ...

Interesting. I have not tried full fat UHT but like skipper_stu find the semi-skimmed fine even on muesli – and I'm pretty fussy. Definitely much better than my recollection of the powder variety, and keeps well enough to be very practical for us.

Neil

Visit site
I didn't think Nido was a baby formula, but I'm open to correction. The difference between Nido and Marvel is that Nido is full fat, not dried skimmed. This makes it more palatable, but it will go off once the tin has been opened. Some UHTs are very good, a long way from the 'sterilised' milk of my youth - anyone remember the long necked bottle with the crown cap? Horrible stuff!

Yngmar

Visit site
Does anyone have experience of Nestlé's Nido powdered milk please ?

I know it's formulated for babies, but I am looking at the storage and taste performance over UHT .

https://www.nestlenido.com/en#aboutnido

TIA

Yes, see food thread in the Jester forum - I've tried a few and Nido is by far the best, i.e. it tastes like actual milk rather than waterlogged cardboard. This may well be due to it being made from full fat (whole) milk rather than skimmed or semi-skimmed. There's no pictures of snot-nosed infants on mine and the FAQ you linked clearly states it's not a baby product, and that there are several different types - buy the one with a glass of milk on the tub, not the one with the snot-nosed infants.

The cost works out to pretty much exactly £1 per litre (assuming your water is free). That's the same as a top quality UHT milk, and slightly more than a good quality UHT milk, which I find both suitable to my tastes - the Nido I keep as backup because all these Tetrapaks are bulky to stow.

VicS

Visit site
proper pop-up toaster on a seawych - respect!

If only.
I am afraid that the picture was taken in the kitchen at home

The Sea Wych however does have reasonably decent double burner cooker with a grill.

I did think about fitting a microwave but not found one small enough yet.

coopec

N/A
Visit site
If only.
I am afraid that the picture was taken in the kitchen at home

The Sea Wych however does have reasonably decent double burner cooker with a grill.

I did think about fitting a microwave but not found one small enough yet.

I hesitated about installing a 2 burner stove but did so because I would never use 3 burners at any one time at home. I notice yachts like Beneteau and Bavaria boast "two burner stove" in their glossy advertisements. Rather than a gas oven I have installed an infra-red microwave which will "brown" a roast for example.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
SWMBO spends much time complaining about UHT milk when we run out of the fresh stuff. Seeing as I only use milk to make porridge it doesn't matter much to me but for a quiet life I try to make sure we've got fresh...... I learnt long ago to stick to black tea or coffee: compo dried milk really was the invention of the devil.

colind3782

Visit site
The boat is in Empuriabrava and not many of the locals use the fresh milk from the supermarket as it goes off very quickly, not sure why. The semi-skimmed (semi-desnetada) UHT is fine and I'm happy to drink it neat.

Yngmar

Visit site
The boat is in Empuriabrava and not many of the locals use the fresh milk from the supermarket as it goes off very quickly, not sure why.

Because the warmer climate lets the bacteria that are always present in pasteurized milk (what you think of as "fresh milk") grow faster. Which is also why the closer to the equator you get, the more prevalent the use of UHT milk becomes.

DannyB

Visit site
I find UHT milk is one of the many things that taste disgusting ashore, but somehow quite palatable, even rather pleasant, once afloat!

More recently, though, I've been cultivating the habit of drinking tea and instant coffee black in order to reduce the need for milk aboard (and at work). Once over the initial hurdle it's not bad.

I was told by a dentist friend to always put a spot of milk into tea or coffee, she said drinking it black caused tooth staining. No idea if that's true since I always slosh loads of milk in.

Yngmar

Visit site
Refridgerated?

Refrigeration works best if it is consistently applied from the moment of pasteurization. This cooling chain is often interrupted, for example when the product is loaded and unloaded on the way to the supermarket and on the way from there to your fridge. That's where it makes a big difference if the environmental temperature is 18°C or 36°C.

rickym

yachtgalene.blogspot.co.uk
For the last 4 years cruising we have always used powdered milk. We just make up a pint or so as we need it. It is also excellent for making yoghurt. Buy a quality brand, the bagged unbranded powdered milk available here in the Caribbean is pretty awful for making up as milk but fine for yoghurt and cooking. Just keep in the fridge and use like fresh milk. Tastes fine.

typhoonNige

Visit site
For the last 4 years cruising we have always used powdered milk. We just make up a pint or so as we need it. It is also excellent for making yoghurt. Buy a quality brand, the bagged unbranded powdered milk available here in the Caribbean is pretty awful for making up as milk but fine for yoghurt and cooking. Just keep in the fridge and use like fresh milk. Tastes fine.

Our policy too. Good enough for my daily Weetabix! We make up a litre every 1-2 days. Can't find a semi skimmed powdered milk over here in the Windwards so we go full fat and do more swimming!

Mctavish

Visit site
I do. I have the full fat version tho and I like the taste. It says on my 900g tin that 100g of powder has 28.2g of fat. I like the high fat ratio (for taste and baking). But it does have "soya lecithin emulsifier" which I have just noticed and don't want.