playing about in boats when not working due to disability

flaming

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The problem was I found that after I'd been sailing with them I became less tolerant of other disabled people I came across, as I couldn't understand why they needed help with things that the sailors didn't, and why they didn't make jokes at their own expense in the same way.

[/ QUOTE ] You raise an interesting point here and I have just written a pm to someone which had made me think about it.

Rather than being the difference between disabled sailors and other disabled, this is the difference between people no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. To my mind people who are able to overcome their situation, whatever it may be, and do with their lives what they want to do is to be applauded.

If you have 2 people with a similar condition, one of whom has great determination and overcomes it whilst the other gives in, it seems wrong to in effect penalise the determined one by not offering the same assistance.

nathanlee

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
But he isn't sailing is he? He's saying he's almost a passenger with his faithful other half doing all the work. I bet you wouldn't want to swop lives with him. That comment of your wasn't very fair or kind.

[/ QUOTE ]

How was that statement remotely unfair?

If you are capable of sailing a boat, shorthanded at that, then surely you can work. I cannot fathom how on earth it could work any other way.

I mean, it's EXTREMELY unlikely that a boat that size was sailed single handed with the incapacitated person sat watching. Besides, they were both claiming benefits, so it's irrelevant.

matelot

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
We all contribute to our pension schemes and take benefits at the due date. When payments start this is normally a prior claim on the pension fund. If the fund gets into difficulties or the employer goes bust, the administrators of the scheme try to keep paying pensions in payment, but what's left for up-coming pensioners can be as little as zilch.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you are now out of date - that was the old system before recent changes. Now everybody suffers if a scheme goes bust apart from those who work in the public sector. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

glashen

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If we're back to the original case of the couple in court, we're not talking about disability, but greed and fraud.

Too much of that in many walks of life.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely agree, I've just looked the original case up, The sailing seems to me incidental to the fraud. It makes a good story of course. I personally believe if you are honest in claiming you should have no worries about indulging in sailing or any other hobby.

I also see no merit in the argument that you may make your disability worse. On that basis no smoker should receive medical care or benefits unless they cease smoking.

alan_d

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If you got a bad back, than sailing is the worst you can do to it, short of taking up horse back riding.

[/ QUOTE ]

And your evidence for that is?

A "bad back" is no more specific than a "bad leg" or a "bad heart" and it is unwise to make sweeping generalisations.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I remember competing in the Bala long distance race in a dinghy many years ago. Four lengths of the lake for the faster boats, about 28 miles in all. On the day of the race I was crippled with back pain but decided to give the race a go. We sailed to the BSC end of the lake to sign on, where I was so much in pain that I lay on the gravel on my back while Jill went to sign on, pay up, skipper's briefing, etc. It was only when we finished the race that I realised that my back pain had completely disappeared!

nathanlee

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Nathan, not sure if I'm right. but you seem to commenting on the couple in the court case rather than DogWatch's post so some confusion arising?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, my mistake, and apologies. However, I think the point is still relevant. Now, please don't misunderstand what I;m saying, I will pledge my support to anybody who is in such a state that they cannot work, and I think taking them out on a boat is a great idea, but if they are going out and sailing their own boat (or somebody else's) then you cannot justify the reason for them not working, surely?

At least, I cannot think of an example to the contrary.

I'm going off on a tangent again though. That's my only point really; if you're not claiming that you can't work due to disability, then I cannot see how anybody can look dimly upon you pursuing your hobby.

glashen

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

but if they are going out and sailing their own boat (or somebody else's) then you cannot justify the reason for them not working, surely?

At least, I cannot think of an example to the contrary.

I'm going off on a tangent again though. That's my only point really; if you're not claiming that you can't work due to disability, then I cannot see how anybody can look dimly upon you pursuing your hobby.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm afraid I do think you are generalizing, without knowing someones circumstances and medical history you cannot make a judgment. I believe that fraudsters should be vigorously pursued, I'm also not against people being encouraged back into employment, but I'm sure there are many for whom it is just not possible and I don't think they should be castigated for continuing doing something they love.

dedwards

Visit site
Nathan, you do seem to be assuming that a person's level of disability is constant. I knew someone who was registered disabled but more often than not she was indistinguishable from an able bodied person.
The problem for her was that when she was bad she was practically bedridden and she had no way of predicting whether tomorrow would be a good day or a bad day.
This meant that she was unemployable due to not being able to keep to a schedule.
The big difference between doing the things you want to do and the things you have to do is that you get to choose when you do them.

Visit site
Why in the name of god should anybody be expected to sell their boat and give the money to the govenment of all people??!!

I'd be more worried about the scroungers who live rent (and everything else) free in giant houses swanning off on holidays I could never afford and I work full time. These are the people who need to be stopped (the recession won't affect their benefits will it?), not law abiding citizens like this guy.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Visit site
Come on - each to his own surely?
I think you're being a bit harsh - very harsh. He's not sponging off the tax payer, he's not sitting on his arse doing nothing.
And from personal experience, it's a horrible condition, and I think if he's still going sailing despite it then more power to his elbow.

I too work damn hard, stupid hours, pay a lot in tax etc etc, but that's life, deal with it