Pipe repair

chris66

xoomer.alice.it
Rust has started to develop in the middle of the elbow joint on the return of the raw water cooling pipe of my Volvo 260 (TAMD). A drop of water comes though after use. As I have already replaced the same piece on the other engine (about 400 quid if I remeber corrctly) i wondered if it is possible to repair this, for example to put on a standard car exhaust repair band or putty and then to clamp over this a section of flexible tubing (inside which I see the water alredy continues to flow after this joint before it exits the hull)?

Thanks for any help on this..

<hr width=100% size=1>Chris

mtb

Visit site
Why not pull it off and coat the inside with resin. I would think that a good clean and key'd surface should hold the resin.
After that Loctight or similar should have some thing to do the job, I used permabond metal repair compound but I have had the odd failure but then it's not like you have to deal in high temp's or lot's of vibration so that might work.

cheers
Mick

<hr width=100% size=1>Danbrit is for sale I'm spending all my time working on her with no time for play

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
It must be worth an attempt at repairing to save 400 pounds. Internal epoxy coating is reputed to have big benefits, so I would try that plus your external reinforcement. Main thing is don't do anything to reduce the internal bore of the pipe. This applies back-pressure to the water pump and the seals will wear rapidly.

<hr width=100% size=1>