Patrick Laine Videos on YouTube??

Supertramp

Visit site
Agree, a lot to learn from his equipment decisions and judgements while at sea. Interesting to see the difference between his Bavaria and Pogo. I think the Bavaria suited him better. Shows what you can do as a normal person on a normal boat.

harry potter

Visit site
I have watched all of his videos and he is brilliant and easy to follow.
My favourite is no 18 which tells you how to make a tidy entry short handed onto a pontoon with a good breeze pushing you off. The expletives wasted on this exercise usually directed at the poor helmsman ( me). Not going to tell you, see for yourself. Simples!

doug748

Visit site
I watched him from the early days and liked his stuff on coming alongside as well. Glad he is out of the slack habit of sailing with fenders on deck.

Daydream believer

Visit site
My favourite is no 18 which tells you how to make a tidy entry short handed onto a pontoon with a good breeze pushing you off. The expletives wasted on this exercise usually directed at the poor helmsman ( me). Not going to tell you, see for yourself. Simples!
I disagree that this is a good video of how to enter a finger berth. He has made a basic mistake in both instances & one sees many people doing it when visiting marinas.

I believe that coming in from this direction is not the best. If one draws a circle ( being the track of the boat)one will see that the arc of the circle takes one away from the pontoon. Often there is insufficient room to come in dead square. The less room there is the smaller the radius & hence the boat is forced further away from the pontoon as it comes in.
If one gets it slightly wrong the first thing many boats do is catch the corner of the pontoon with the hull as they are trying to keep close. It often means the bow is pushed outwards & this can force the boat at 45 degrees to the berth & the stern ends up pushed off track.. I am sure many have seen this happen.

I believe that if there is room along the row of pontoons then the correct way is to go PAST the berth & turn round. Or if the boat reverses well, then reverse up the line of boats. Alternatively turn round just before one gets there & just reverse the last bit. Then approach the berth from the opposite side. Then if one imagines the subscribed arc of the circle that the boat takes, one will see that it pushes the boat to the middle of the finger. The arc is away from the corner of the finger so one does not scrape the hull on it.
Momentum also takes the boat away from the boat in the adjoining berth ( If indeed there is one there) I do not believe that neighbouring boats should be used as buffers anyway.
I challenged Patrick Lane on this & he actually agreed on reflection that I was correct.

Last edited:

doug748

Visit site
It's a good point, I do often ignore it if I think I can get away with it but it's not good practice. However, if there is a breeze blowing off the pontoon or the slightest tide you are generally stuffed.

bill bligh

Visit site
I have noted his name and will look him up. Not wanting to highjack this thread. I occasionally look up Sam Holmes, Christian Williams, both of them Americans. They can be informative and entertaining.

Last edited:

Cariadco

Visit site
I disagree that this is a good video of how to enter a finger berth. He has made a basic mistake in both instances & one sees many people doing it when visiting marinas.

I believe that coming in from this direction is not the best. If one draws a circle ( being the track of the boat)one will see that the arc of the circle takes one away from the pontoon. Often there is insufficient room to come in dead square. The less room there is the smaller the radius & hence the boat is forced further away from the pontoon as it comes in.
If one gets it slightly wrong the first thing many boats do is catch the corner of the pontoon with the hull as they are trying to keep close. It often means the bow is pushed outwards & this can force the boat at 45 degrees to the berth & the stern ends up pushed off track.. I am sure many have seen this happen.

I believe that if there is room along the row of pontoons then the correct way is to go PAST the berth & turn round. Or if the boat reverses well, then reverse up the line of boats. Alternatively turn round just before one gets there & just reverse the last bit. Then approach the berth from the opposite side. Then if one imagines the subscribed arc of the circle that the boat takes, one will see that it pushes the boat to the middle of the finger. The arc is away from the corner of the finger so one does not scrape the hull on it.
Momentum also takes the boat away from the boat in the adjoining berth ( If indeed there is one there) I do not believe that neighbouring boats should be used as buffers anyway.
I challenged Patrick Lane on this & he actually agreed on reflection that I was correct.
Possibly, he's too polite to argue????