Ostende, Bruges.

stu9000

Visit site
I'm sketching out some options for the summer cruise and would welcome any tips. The boat is now based in the Blackwater on the East coast. 35 foot, cruising speed 5 knots.

I keep looking at the south coast but am put off by fees just to drop the hook, and the crowds.

Id like to do the Dutch waterways but im not sure 9 days is enough. Maybe vlissinggen and Middleburg but probably need more than 9 days to enjoy this.

I briefly did the channel Islands last year, and would like to go back soon. But rather than slog over to Dieppe and cherbourg I fancy something untried. That said, if the wind was blowing that way I would not rule it out.

My current favourite option is to go direct from Blackwater to Ostende and possibly onto Blankenberg . I'm sailing solo so 16 hours might seem a bit of a mission but I have got AIS, and radar with collision alarm. Not that i trust it 100%.

The alternative would be to do shorter hops to Ramsgate, Calais and then hopping East. This is easier but relatively well trodden ground. Not a bad idea for all that though.

One reason I was keen on Ostende is I quite fancy exploring Bruges. I've read there is a canal to the edge of town. Has anyone tried this?

It's a gentle 1.5hr cycle from Ostende to Bruges, along the canal so maybe keep it simple and not bother taking the boat down the canal bit.

I have a 9 day window.
Last year I did the channel Islands, hopping back along the French coast. Small marinas like St Vals was lovely, although I missed having the option of finding the occasional secluded anchorage. We are very lucky on the East Coast.

I will of course spend some weekends exploring the Blackwater and Deben and I love the freedom to find a quiet corner to drop the hook.

But what would you do? Holland, France or Belgium?

johnalison

Visit site
I wish I were young again and had your problem. The CIs and Belgium/Holland are very different cruises. It is usually a bit of a struggle to get to the CIs but easy to get home, and the other way round for B/H. I have only visited Bruges by train from Ostend (in 1980!) so I can’t help with info about going by boat, but I believe it is possible. Personally, I would save the time and trouble by going from Ostend or elsewhere by train. We liked Blankenberg, being quieter than Ostend and without the ferries and offshore banks, and only a bit further from home. If you pushed, you could include somewhere like Antwerp, but we always wanted to be back in Ostend by the Thursday of the last week to be sure of getting home, and only failed once, though in much smaller boats at the time.

MontyMariner

montymariner.co.uk
Going inland from the coast, one of my favourites is Rouen.
It's a two week event, as you have to use the tides - up from Le Havre when the start of the flood is at first light, a week at Rouen, then back down the Seine when the start of the ebb is at first light.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
As always, weather is the deciding factor. It's about 18 hours to Ostend from the Blackwater @ 5knots and how much holiday time you have.
I have enjoyed Holland but you don't get much actual sailing in unless you go to places like the Ijsselmeer
which is lovely. There is lots of motoring and locks otherwise . Might be worth using Ostend as a base and use bus/rail for exploring. If you like plenty of sailing, you can travel up and down the coast and still explore inland .

Last edited:

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
Working the tides, you could drop down to Ramsgate, stop there for a night, and then over to Ostend, bypassing Calais.
We've just done this, and it's a pleasant sail ( see my post on the East Coast forum ).

You mention cruising speed of 5 knots for a 35 footer, is that correct? We have a 36 footer and passage plan at 6 to 6.5 knots. Ramsgate to Ostend was 9 hours.

I've also done Shotley to Ostend solo, which was about 13 hours,

DanTribe

Visit site
I believe there is a seasonal marina at Bruge which is accessed via Zeebrugge. But in involves quite a bit of faffing about and would take a lot of time from your itinerary. Much easier to hop on a train from Ostend, only takes a few minutes. We did tram / train from Nieuwpoort, lovely day out.

stu9000

Visit site
Working the tides, you could drop down to Ramsgate, stop there for a night, and then over to Ostend, bypassing Calais.
We've just done this, and it's a pleasant sail ( see my post on the East Coast forum ).

You mention cruising speed of 5 knots for a 35 footer, is that correct? We have a 36 footer and passage plan at 6 to 6.5 knots. Ramsgate to Ostend was 9 hours.

I've also done Shotley to Ostend solo, which was about 13 hours,
It's a westerly seahawk. 6 knots well within her capabilities but I like to use 5k as a rough average speed and be ahead of schedule.

Shotley always a nice jumping off point. I may well do as you suggest.

I think I'll use Oostende or Blankenberg as a base and not bother with canals this year. My trusty folding bike will be a nice way to explore the canal and Bruges.

As has been mentioned the weather will be the deciding factor but if the wind is right I like the shotley Oostende plan a lot.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
It's a westerly seahawk. 6 knots well within her capabilities but I like to use 5k as a rough average speed and be ahead of schedule.

Shotley always a nice jumping off point. I may well do as you suggest.

I think I'll use Oostende or Blankenberg as a base and not bother with canals this year. My trusty folding bike will be a nice way to explore the canal and Bruges.

As has been mentioned the weather will be the deciding factor but if the wind is right I like the shotley Oostende plan a lot.
I hired a bicycle one time in Brugge and it was a great day out.
Caught a train to Ghent . Well worth a visit. The castle particularly.
I quite enjoy using local transport in foreign places and you can hire bikes nearly everywhere in Belgium and Holland.

Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site
I did Brugge by canal circa 2006. I sailed to Zeebrugge & went through the lock by prior arrangement . I did this alongside a container vessel & a coaster. Then along the canal & had one bridge which opened as I arrived. I stopped at the last lock because the lock keeper was not 24 hours. There was a waiting pontoon that the lock keeper suggested that I used.
I then walked into Brugge for a few hours. I went past a chocolate factory which relieved me of some euros.

Then went back & whilst waiting for the lock @ Zeebrugge, I was able to see the sections of the ship the Tricolour that was being cut up, having sunk in the east end of the channel. That was interesting. It had been cut right through all 13 decks & volvo dump trucks & cars were just hanging out of each deck. A 3000 tonne crane was lifting each section off a giant barge onto the dock where the teams cut it up.

As for sailing from the Blackwater, it is a milk run. especially for a 35 ft boat. I usually take about 14.5 hours in my 31 ft. The trick is to arrive at the Longsand head at LW using the ebb for 4 hours then the tide southwards for 6 hours then eastward for 4-5 hours Let the tide drag you south of 127 deg & back again as you near Ostend. Going to Ramsgate involves an extra day & more shipping. I have done that once when I met some friends but it is not worth wasting time.

The best thing about Ostend is that there is plenty to see . Also if you go into the Dutch canals you are not stuck in one place due to bad weather- other than temperature & rain of course. Blankenburg does not have much to do except the pier attractions & the cafes & bars. But you can get fuel there - as you can in Breskens & Middleburg. Best way to see Blankenburg is to hire bikes ( electric) in Ostend & cycle along the coast for the day. Stroll along the front, stop for a meal & cycle back

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
Blankenburg does not have much to do except the pier attractions & the cafes & bars. But you can get fuel there - as you can in Breskens & Middleburg. Best way to see Blankenburg is to hire bikes ( electric) in Ostend & cycle along the coast for the day. Stroll along the front, stop for a meal & cycle back
I agree that Blankenberg has less than Ostend, but it is quieter and has a choice of four marinas. At the front there is a serpentarium, or used to be, and on our last visit I found a delightful small museum of the Belle Epoque. Sadly, the Ibis bar is no longer, but others are available. I have seen some people swimming on the beach.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I agree that Blankenberg has less than Ostend, but it is quieter and has a choice of four marinas. At the front there is a serpentarium, or used to be, and on our last visit I found a delightful small museum of the Belle Epoque. Sadly, the Ibis bar is no longer, but others are available. I have seen some people swimming on the beach.
More bars & better range of eateries in Ostend & great for swimming-- if you like the cold. I have not really noticed the noise that you speak of being any different Certainly access to the shops is quicker in Ostend

johnalison

Visit site
More bars & better range of eateries in Ostend & great for swimming-- if you like the cold. I have not really noticed the noise that you speak of being any different Certainly access to the shops is quicker in Ostend
By quieter I just meant less bustle generally rather than noise. I have enjoyed various visits to Ostend over the years since 1980, and have stayed in each marina. The Koninklijke club is perhaps the most desirable but a 20 minute walk from anywhere.

I have no doubt that Ostend has more bars, but how many do you need? I know that Blankenberg’s entrance is a bit shallow, but this is balanced by the absence of ferries and port control, and no significant offshore banks. It is perhaps about an extra hour in the crossing, which we do from Walton in about 13 hrs in light conditions, part motoring usually.

stu9000

Visit site
As for sailing from the Blackwater, it is a milk run. especially for a 35 ft boat. I usually take about 14.5 hours in my 31 ft. The trick is to arrive at the Longsand head at LW using the ebb for 4 hours then the tide southwards for 6 hours then eastward for 4-5 hours Let the tide drag you south of 127 deg & back again as you near Ostend. Going to Ramsgate involves an extra day & more shipping. I have done that once when I met some friends but it is not worth wasting time.

The best thing about Ostend is that there is plenty to see . Also if you go into the Dutch canals you are not stuck in one place due to bad weather- other than temperature & rain of course. Blankenburg does not have much to do except the pier attractions & the cafes & bars. But you can get fuel there - as you can in Breskens & Middleburg. Best way to see Blankenburg is to hire bikes ( electric) in Ostend & cycle along the coast for the day. Stroll along the front, stop for a meal & cycle back
Thanks . Very useful info

Alicatt

Visit site
Silversands café on the promenade at Blankenberg is our go to for waffles, they are about A4 in size and served with whole fruit and ice cream Mmmm to die for :D

Can't help with the sailing/cruising in that part, it is a long way from us and we are on our first season using the canals in Belgium.
I
t's been over a year since we were last in that area, there is a good weekly food market in Ostende, with produce coming in from all over Europe and just a stone's throw from the marina beside the Fish Market.

Lots of stuff in relation to WW1 and WW2 there and the fortifications along the sea front to the west of Ostend near the airport are well worth the visit.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Lots of stuff in relation to WW1 and WW2 there and the fortifications along the sea front to the west of Ostend near the airport are well worth the visit.
Atlantikwall Raversdyke. Spend a few hours walking round the tunnels etc. Go by tram, or better still bike. Includes museum about the Belgium royal family. Also a cafe behind the area

Alicatt

Visit site
Atlantikwall Raversdyke. Spend a few hours walking round the tunnels etc. Go by tram, or better still bike. Includes museum about the Belgium royal family. Also a cafe behind the area
Aye that's the place
_DSC6917SM.JPG
Impressive! We spent the whole day going round it, ended up having to translate for an English family that were having trouble with the audio guide.

Getting ready to repel those pesky tourists from across the water...
_DSC7038SM.JPG_DSC6997sm.JPG