Osney bridge

viramati

Visit site
Hi
Has anyone gone under osney bridge in a Freeman 26 with hardtop or am I going to have to take it off and lower screen!!? Freeman website says the 26 has an air height of 7'4" and the bridge should be 7'6' but I don't know if this measurement is with hardtop

byron

RIP
Visit site
I'm fairly certain the top and screen will need come down but someone here will know for definate. remember also that if the river rises while you are above Osney.... stuckums until droppums.

Chris_d

Visit site
I'd recomend you measure it, i've seen Freeman 26's above Osney, can't remember if they had hardtops though. I once took a Bates Starcraft up to Lechlade and that had a fixed wheelhouse, its surprising what will squeeze under. I have a feeling you will be ok, but you may have to remove any lights and brackets from the hardtop. Its rarely 7'6" in the summer anyway, there should be a few more inches.

Worse than Osney though is Godstow bridge just upstream, its higher but is skewed at an angle across the river, it has a very pronouced arch and if you don't get it right and go through the highest bit you can do a lot of damage. A chap was virtualy decapitated there a few years back when he got his head between boat and bridge at the wrong time. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

pheran

Visit site
Its been many years since I've been that far upstream but the lock-keeper at Osney used to have a sighting gauge on the wall and by looking across, could get a pretty good idea whether your boat would get under the bridge. 'Well?, I asked. 'Dunno' he replied. 'I need to be sure' I said, 'because my windscreen doesn't fold'. 'Get it wrong, and it will', he chuckled!! In the event, we crept under with just an inch to spare. Those were the days!

ms1

Visit site
did it in a softop Birchwood 25 a few years back with full fuel and water tanks; 2 inches to spare. If the river rises before your return you'll have to buy few beers/ borrow a few lads from the pub just downstream of the bridge.
I would get the tape measure out and measure your boat.