Orca attack

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Just in case anybody thinks the wooden rudder thing is a serious suggestion (anybody?) I'm almost certain that it's simply down to the tiny number of yachts in that part of the world who have wooden rudders.

From the description of how the attacks unfold, the orcas are not nibbling delicately when they do this. They won't have any idea what the rudder is made of until they've already broken a chunk off it.
Surely not you suggesting they have no taste bud?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
GTOA

In the last day orcas have been traveling north in Galicia (NW Spain), and there have been several interactions both during the day and night. So, we’d like to recommend you to be careful in this area (between Sisargas islands and Estaca de Bares Cape) and, if possible, to spend the night in port to reduce the additional risks associated with a night rescue and tow at sea.

sailingmartin

Visit site
So, we’d like to recommend you to be careful in this area (between Sisargas islands and Estaca de Bares Cape) and, if possible, to spend the night in port to reduce the additional risks associated with a night rescue and tow at sea.

This has been my tactic sailing south from A Coruna (now in the Lisbon area). Plenty of places to stay and day sailing perfectly possible. I have also been trying to keep inshore, but this does mean you have to dodge a lot of fishings pots.

greeny

Visit site
Reports of attacks that have resulted in rudder damage are coming in almost daily now up North. On one day last week there were two reports within a couple of hours of each other. Are the Orcas stepping up their actions now? It certainly seems so after a relatively quiet start to the year.
It's inconceivable that the national authorities aren't considering some sort of action after the recent sinking. Intentional or not, it certainly put lives at risk and could have finished up in a very different conclusion had weather been different.
It's certainly keeping the rescue boats busy.
I don't know what they charge per mile for rescue and recovery but I'd guess the charges will go a long way to funding the service through the summer.

Star-Lord

Visit site
Reports of attacks that have resulted in rudder damage are coming in almost daily now up North. On one day last week there were two reports within a couple of hours of each other. Are the Orcas stepping up their actions now? It certainly seems so after a relatively quiet start to the year.
It's inconceivable that the national authorities aren't considering some sort of action after the recent sinking. Intentional or not, it certainly put lives at risk and could have finished up in a very different conclusion had weather been different.
It's certainly keeping the rescue boats busy.
I don't know what they charge per mile for rescue and recovery but I'd guess the charges will go a long way to funding the service through the summer.
The insurance companies are taking a hit! Maybe they will lobby for culling? Looks likes our Premiums will be rising again.