Orca attack

Visit site
Three people I have met have had their boats attacked. One had a spade rudder, one had a skeg, and one had a fully supported rudder on long keel. The long keel boat was actually the one that suffered the most damage!
Do you happen to know what material the long keeler's rudder was made of ?

Kelpie

Visit site
Do you happen to know what material the long keeler's rudder was made of ?
It was a Nauticat, GRP with stainless shaft and tangs. Supported on bearings top and bottom. The shaft was the only bit left when the orcas had finished.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Sorry I should have said rudders. I have asked before but without reply, has any attention been given to the type of rudder being attacked?
Ha ha yes I did know you meant rudders .
Just tho I go along with keel .
Actually the photo I seen of rudders that been bitten has been al sorts

sailaboutvic

Visit site
That should give pause for thought.
Yes this all came to light this year when a group from the Orca society when out and found the group that's doing the attacks.
They throw in some tuna and some wood ,
The orcas when straight for the Tuna and once they eaten them just swim away .
Never given the wood the time of day .
So I guess wooden rudder will be safe.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Has anyone given any thought to the taste of antifoul paint to an Orca. Taste buds may be on the tongue as per other mammals. As a child I recall accepting a tablet of Wrigleys spearmint bubble gum. I enjoyed sucking the sugary white coating then spitting out the tasteless gum.

Why not. The rudder is the only bit of a boat they can bite off and suck. It seems to be only the young Orcas that like to suck on a rudder. The adults swim close by uttering such phrases as " Kids today eh., what can we do?"

Instead of a pinger I will carry half a tin of antifoul paint. Paint the flares before chucking them overboard.

Oh you are so cruel.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
I can't see how reversing will work if it wants to keep playing with a rudder, if its playing and you make it more of a game it might not get bored move on. And throwing ultrasound about in an environment where animals rely on that to feed with no idea of the consequences seems unwise. If i was involved in research on this the first thing I'd want to have was data on what electronics were operating on the boats that have been attacked.

Almost my first thought when this all started was to consider reversing to protect the rudder.

An orca would have to approach close to a rotating prop. when a boat is reversing. Unless they have mastered the trick of swimming backwards at speed. :D

Of course you would run the risk of shifting attention to the keel. It is more solid but that could just mean a stronger attack. Still worth a try and it does seem to have been effective when implemented immediately or pre-emptively if they are spotted. I haven't heard any claim that they then concentrated on the keel for any time.

Kelpie

Visit site
The evidence shows that if you can act quickly enough, reversing brings a very swift end to the attack. It's not just a theory.

The problem is that you the first you know about the attack may be when the first strike happens, and then it can be too late.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Just heard to night one of our friends heading North was NE off fisterra when they heard a may day of a boat being attacked 2 Mile's a head of them ,
them and another boat alter course for the shipping lanes .
Boat had to be towed in , damage to steering gear.

Adios

Visit site
The evidence shows that if you can act quickly enough, reversing brings a very swift end to the attack. It's not just a theory.
I'm surprised. If the attacks are them being playful unless you keep reversing won't they still be nearby when you go into forward? Maybe the scare of a near miss with the prop is enough to make them wary and they stay back after.

Kelpie

Visit site
I'm surprised. If the attacks are them being playful unless you keep reversing won't they still be nearby when you go into forward? Maybe the scare of a near miss with the prop is enough to make them wary and they stay back after.

You keep reversing until you can't see any orcas. They appear to get bored and go away. Often it seems to only need a few minutes of going astern but personally I would keep doing it until I ran out of diesel if I had to.

Visit site
Yes this all came to light this year when a group from the Orca society when out and found the group that's doing the attacks.
They throw in some tuna and some wood ,
The orcas when straight for the Tuna and once they eaten them just swim away .
Never given the wood the time of day .
So I guess wooden rudder will be safe.
Perhaps laminate a thin wooden sheet to give protection ?

Kelpie

Visit site
Just in case anybody thinks the wooden rudder thing is a serious suggestion (anybody?) I'm almost certain that it's simply down to the tiny number of yachts in that part of the world who have wooden rudders.

From the description of how the attacks unfold, the orcas are not nibbling delicately when they do this. They won't have any idea what the rudder is made of until they've already broken a chunk off it.

Wansworth

Visit site
Just in case anybody thinks the wooden rudder thing is a serious suggestion (anybody?) I'm almost certain that it's simply down to the tiny number of yachts in that part of the world who have wooden rudders.

From the description of how the attacks unfold, the orcas are not nibbling delicately when they do this. They won't have any idea what the rudder is made of until they've already broken a chunk off it.
Now if it had been a proper boat like a Colin Archer rescue ketch……

Kelpie

Visit site
Now if it had been a proper boat like a Colin Archer rescue ketch……
In my sample of three, the sturdy long keel boat had their rudder reduced to just the shaft. The skeg hung Jeanneau have a stiff spot in the steering, so possibly a bent shaft. And the spade rudder on a newer Jeanneau had the lower half bitten off completely, but retained good steering authority with no bearing damage or leaks. They were later able to drop the rudder without even lifting out, and get it rebuilt. Just foam and glass work, all done in a couple of days.

So there's something to be said for modern 'flimsy' yacht design... :O