Orca attack

Wansworth

Visit site
Was the Bailey’s “Auralyn” a Hillyard?

I remember them running a shop called, delightfully, “Yot Grot”, in Lymington which was an Aladdin’s Cave of secondhand gear and they were nice people.
Don’t think so more modern design,proberbly in their book…just found a picture it was a chine built large Eventide….Golden hind bit like Tranonas boat of this parish

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
They only started to collect data a few weeks ago.
I think a lot of organisations were assuming that somebody else would step up and do it. It does seem a bit odd that a UK-based non governmental association has ended up doing it.
It's Been much longer then a few week.
That got to show their doing some thing what they charge members .

sailaboutvic

Visit site
@sailaboutvic I don't understand the animosity towards the CA. They are doing a good job of collating data on Orca attacks. You don't even have to be a member to benefit- anybody can submit their report or read the results.

Orca Interaction and Uneventful Passage Report Results | CA
Nothing except they should had kept their nose out of the Greek cruising tax affairs and that not only my view but many hundreds of cruisers across Europe including many of their own members .
The only concession they got is what the Greek was going to give anyway.
But let's not go there .
If you and other want to pay silly money for what they given in return great,

We have many friends who are members and we respect each other view on the CA,
We also know many other who was member but don't think it's good value for what they was paying for.

Kelpie

Visit site
Nothing except they should had kept their nose out of the Greek cruising tax affairs and that not only my view but many hundreds of cruisers across Europe including many of their own members .
The only concession they got is what the Greek was going to give anyway.
But let's not go there .
If you and other want to pay silly money for what they given in return great,

We have many friends who are members and we respect each other view on the CA,
We also know many other who was member but don't think it's good value for what they was paying for.
I joined the CA primarily because of berthing discounts, and it paid for itself quickly. I probably don't fully use the advantages of membership.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I joined the CA primarily because of berthing discounts, and it paid for itself quickly. I probably don't fully use the advantages of membership.
That's fine your getting some befits from it,

Malta was offing 10% for winter mooring once to CA members
When I spoken to Sarah the first year we wintered and made it clear we wasn't CA member what discount was we going to get if we booked , she given us the same the other year we stay we got 15% .
Licata was given 5% to CA member in 2014 our first winter there after some negotiations we got 10% there after following years 30% .
Last winter it dropped to 20% and so I hear it be less this year, possibly less
Meseilongh wasn't given any thing to CA members the winters we where their we got 15%.
Basically what I'm saying is if you ask nicely you can get some kind of discount in many places.
As you probably know we now cruising Northern Europe and unlike us we habve been using some marinas during the summer season ,
We jokingly always ask for discount and I'm surprise how many have offered some thing 3 night for the price of two, or two for the price of one one thrown in free power and water, another one couldn't give us any discount,
But their hospitality was more then enough .

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Yes the general role and pros and cons of being a member are off topic.
However the Orca reporting project that they have begun is very much a valid subject in this thread.
Fair enough

No one be it the CA or the so call experts has come up with any solutions how to stop an attack on boat .
Everything suggested hasn't worked , just read the reports .

The only people who have come up with some thing that seen to work are sailor who have been attacked,
And yes I will use the word attack, because that what is happening ,

Its now clear that sailors who manage to go in astern before or just as the attack start have said the Orcas have immediate or very quickly moved on ,
This statement have not come from the like of me or you but from people who have had the experience of having their boat at risk of sunking .
NOW let's see what tge C A has to say .

" Reversing at high speed with erratic changes of direction in the presence of orcas will never be acceptable, but such vigorous action does not appear to be necessary to end an interaction."

What did they say ? ( never be acceptable)

Well not only there are wrong as it does stop the interaction as proved by people who experience it and not some guy sitting behind some dest .
But worst they rather see members boat damage maybe life's lost to save face with the palls GTOA ,
they are grossly miss leading sailor and members by saying it " does not appear to be necessary to end an interaction" rather then saying some have reported it works.

As for their collection of interaction report after posting that it's " never be acceptable"
Who in the right mind are going to say they use reverse to stop an attack.

Last edited:

KevinV

Visit site
Fair enough

No one be it the CA or the so call experts has come up with any solutions how to stop an attack on boat .
Everything suggested hasn't worked , just read the reports .

The only people who have come up with some thing that seen to work are sailor who have been attacked,
And yes I will use the word attack, because that what is happening ,

Its now clear that sailors who manage to go in astern before or just as the attack start have said the Orcas have immediate or very quickly moved on ,
This statement have not come from the like of me or you but from people who have had the experience of having their boat at risk of sunking .
NOW let's see what tge C A has to say .

" Reversing at high speed with erratic changes of direction in the presence of orcas will never be acceptable, but such vigorous action does not appear to be necessary to end an interaction."

What did they say ? ( never be acceptable)

Well not only there are wrong as it does stop the interaction as proved by people who experience it and not some guy sitting behind some dest .
But worst they rather see members boat damage maybe life's lost to save face with the palls GTOA ,
they are grossly miss leading sailor and members by saying it " does not appear to be necessary to end an interaction" rather then saying some have reported it works.

As for their collection of interaction report after posting that it's " never be acceptable"
Who in the right mind are going to say they use reverse to stop an attack.
I'm not sure if you're wilfully misunderstanding what that statement says or just missing the point - reversing is fine and proven, doing so at high speed and/or erratically unnecessarily risks injuring the orcas and inflicting damage on your own boat (the former being against the law, the second being an own-goal). Sound advice methinks.

I have no connection with the CA, but am very pleased that after all the "somebody should do something" they have stepped up to the plate and started collating actual facts to try to ascertain a pattern. Who knows, maybe polkadot antifouling or underwater bunting will prove to be the panacea and we can all get back to sailing safely and the orcas can get back to more nourishing meals? Without data we will never know.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I'm not sure if you're wilfully misunderstanding what that statement says or just missing the point - reversing is fine and proven, doing so at high speed and/or erratically unnecessarily risks injuring the orcas and inflicting damage on your own boat (the former being against the law, the second being an own-goal). Sound advice methinks.

I have no connection with the CA, but am very pleased that after all the "somebody should do something" they have stepped up to the plate and started collating actual facts to try to ascertain a pattern. Who knows, maybe polkadot antifouling or underwater bunting will prove to be the panacea and we can all get back to sailing safely and the orcas can get back to more nourishing meals? Without data we will never know.
I think their statement is very clear ,
Maybe it's you who is wilfully miss understanding it .

Reversing at high speed with erratic changes of direction in the presence of orcas will never be acceptable, but such vigorous action does not appear to be necessary to end an interaction."

who ever wrote that know nothing about sailing yacht ,
Otherwise they won't had used words like high speeds and reverse in the same context,
top that up have you tried erratic charging course in reverse.
Because that's what being suggested,
Changing course erratic in forward have clear shown not to work,
I can probably get 4 knts once moving in reverse not quite high speed .

As for what they say or what the law says I for one willing to be a honest and say if I was in that position and I was at risk I won't think twice doing what every need to be done to stop the attack and if a Orca get hurt in the process so be it,
anyone who say differently is even a fool or just lieing to them self and others .

In my view all the CA is doing is trying to justify to their member they trying to help.
Which is great, I have no object.
But if that's the case why discouraging members to do the only thing that seen to be working .

As for fact they will never get them because the CA isn't someone international sailor are willing to come forward and report to ,
If sailor are not willing to give info to the expert why are they going to give them to a british sailing club .
May have never heard of the CA .
Ask Geman , French,Spanish Italian who the CA are .

What gets me is a walrus is shot because it MAY endanger human life some time in the future but God help us if an Orca who is endangering human life now should get hurt.

Last edited:

KevinV

Visit site
who ever wrote that know nothing about sailing yacht ,
Otherwise they won't had used words like high speeds and reverse in the same context,
top that up have you tried erratic charging course in reverse.
Because that's what being suggested,
Changing course erratic in forward have clear shown not to work,
I can probably get 4 knts once moving in reverse not quite high speed .

So your objection to them saying not to reverse at high speed and/or erratically is that you can't reverse at high speed or erratically? The advice is not aimed solely at you.

KevinV

Visit site
I wonder if there's a lesson for the CA in the above exchange (which I still believe to be based on a misunderstanding of the advice given)? As they are involving and advising non-native English speakers now, perhaps they should adapt their language?
DO reverse slowly
DO NOT reverse fast
DO NOT reverse erratically

Kelpie

Visit site
I think the CA have their hands tied in terms of the advice that they can give. If they advocated anything that contradicted the advice of government agencies, they would not get any cooperation from them.

I have little involvement with the CA and do not go around telling other people to join. I don't have any idea what they have done in Greece, and I don't listen to their advice on how to handle an Orca attack.

But their decision to gather and collate information about the attacks is to be applauded.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I think the CA have their hands tied in terms of the advice that they can give. If they advocated anything that contradicted the advice of government agencies, they would not get any cooperation from them.

I have little involvement with the CA and do not go around telling other people to join. I don't have any idea what they have done in Greece, and I don't listen to their advice on how to handle an Orca attack.

But their decision to gather and collate information about the attacks is to be applauded.
I think your right they have got to be careful what they say .
But dictating to sailor what acceptable and what's not when there boat and their lives and in cases young family are at risk is only going to put many people back up .

Goldie

Visit site
It's Been much longer then a few week.

The first report - certainly the first ‘uneventful passage’ report in the targeted areas - was submitted on 8th June 2022, a day or so after the scheme was promulgated. I know this as I had an email congratulating me on being the first!

The reporting scheme and results are available to all.

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
The first report - certainly the first ‘uneventful passage’ report in the targeted areas - was submitted on 8th June 2022, a day or do after the scheme was promulgated. I know this as I had an email congratulating me on being the first!

The reporting scheme and results are available to all.
Yes I know it's been going on some time now it's been posted on sailing forum like Facebook and it's not got very good respond basically form international and British sailors,
because many feel once again it's all about protecting the orca first people life second .

Someone here ask me what was I objecting too , and then try to mix what I said , I didn't reply because I'm not going to get into a confirmation with someone who after a argument .

What I strongly object to and many other is being dictated to by some sailing association club what's is acceptable when it comes to my life and my crew life .
and if the CA for one min think there going to get info from cruiser that way they got another thing coming.

Last edited: