Orca attack

Adios

Visit site
Was thinking of buying a bot in Cadiz and sailing back to Galicia……..might take up stamp collecting?
Come on you can be our test pilot. Buy a pack of fireworks bangers, americans call them cherry bombs. Dip them in melted wax and try lighting fuse and throwing them in the water when approached. Let us know how you get on ?

you could in fact make some with an internal electrical fuse wire thin enough to burn when 12v is passed through it and hang them off the stern. Switches could be anywhere you choose. Perhaps a rear facing fish finder will let you know when one approaches. If they hunt by sonar waves surely small detonations will be enough to discourage their approaches. You’ll be fine ??

Last edited:

Hermit

Visit site
It seem to me the whole thing about going astern is not 'approved' because it infers you are going towards them. If the advice is changed to 'go astern to back away from them' then I feel it would make more sense and be able to be publically endorsed.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Do you remember the underwater sign that Tristan Jones dangled from his boat to deter snorklers . It simply said "PIZZ OFF"

How about "DANGER. HARD HATS MUST BE WORN" .

Adios

Visit site
Not necessarily IMHO.

What about if echo sounders alert orcas to the presence of a new target from distance? If you turn it off then they may have less chance of finding you. That doesn’t mean that you would avoid an interaction by turning off the echo sounder as they might just happen by at close distance or hear you in the water, but would it reduce the chance?

Similarly could it be that in a heavier sea there is less chance of being detected from distance than in a calm sea (sea noise drowning out boat noise)? But then again if you are detected because orcas happen by at close quarters then would you want to engage reverse in a heavier sea (when that becomes acceptable to the authorities of course)?

These are issues looked at within the CA study. At this stage there are not enough reports to draw any conclusions
All true but the underlying issue of why they are doing this now isn't to do with ultrasound. We've had that a long time before now without issues. It might effect the chance of them finding us but the question is why are they hunting us? Loss of normal prey? Got a taste for human flesh? Revenge for humans polluting the ocean with plastics and chemicals? If they are smart enough to put it together that its us that is doing it I'll be impressed but maybe they know more that we realise.

balder

Visit site
News today pon Galician tv is authoritiesrecommend not to navigate at night to make it earlier if help is required
Few weeks ago, everybody was talking about pingers. I bought two of these small electronic devices. Fortunately, during my trip back from Canary to Gib with a stop in Portugal, I didnt need to use them, no intercation with orcas. But I read it was now forbiden to use pingers ? And if somebody has opportunity to use these pingers, wre they efficient?

capnsensible

Visit site
For me, this entire situation is being allowed to get out of hand. I'll bet that the whale huggers live somewhere like Acacia Avenue, Tunbridge Wells or the equivalent across Europe.

Time for a massive cull. There must be Moroccan fishermen who would be more than happy to take charge and recycle these dangerous and aggressive whales into usable protein.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
For me, this entire situation is being allowed to get out of hand. I'll bet that the whale huggers live somewhere like Acacia Avenue, Tunbridge Wells or the equivalent across Europe.

Time for a massive cull. There must be Moroccan fishermen who would be more than happy to take charge and recycle these dangerous and aggressive whales into usable protein.
You opened a can of worms now , oh dear hinddddddd

Wansworth

Visit site
The Spanish and certainly the Brit’s are Squamish about killing horses,or dog etc meanwhile in other countries it’s acceptable and the Danish cull whales in party fashion,an interesting conundrum

Kelpie

Visit site
Few weeks ago, everybody was talking about pingers. I bought two of these small electronic devices. Fortunately, during my trip back from Canary to Gib with a stop in Portugal, I didnt need to use them, no intercation with orcas. But I read it was now forbiden to use pingers ? And if somebody has opportunity to use these pingers, wre they efficient?
AFAIK no boat using pingers has been attacked. But you could equally drag a small blue teapot behind you and make the same claim, if, like the vast majority of boats you got through unscathed. Still, it can't do any harm, and unless at some point somebody is attacked whilst using pingers, I would inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I think we all know people attitude changes quickly once it's them it's happened too .

that poor walrus all he was doing was sitting on some old boat and BANG BANG just because they thought he may one day endanger some one .