Orca attack

Bristolfashion

Visit site
except you can't keep from criticizing the choice of others...

if, as you say, it's a "personal" choice.., why not just leave them to it?
Er, what actions one takes is a personal choice, that doesn't mean that others have to agree.

It would be an extremely dull & pointless forum if no-one ever commented on the actions or opinions of others. If someone suggested an extremely dangerous/foolish approach (climbing the mast at sea without any protection, allowing small children to play on deck without the annoyance of lifejackets, taking your dog ashore to an offshore island reserved for rare beach nesting birds, having a good old booze up whilst driving a rib in a heavily used watersports area, proposing a very dangerous passage etc) would you expect all forum members to just "leave them to it"?

Although, you appear to be criticizing me for disagreeing with the actions of others - why not just leave me to it?😊

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com

Not pleasant I’ll grant you, but chewing the rudders off yachts is someting orca have learned to do without any repercussions for the orcas concerned. If attaching spikes or blades to your rudder makes chewing it an unpleasant, even painful, experience they will soon learn to leave rudders alone. I doubt very much if any orca would be seriously injured or die as a result.

Ammonite

Visit site
Not pleasant I’ll grant you, but chewing the rudders off yachts is someting orca have learned to do without any repercussions for the orcas concerned. If attaching spikes or blades to your rudder makes chewing it an unpleasant, even painful, experience they will soon learn to leave rudders alone. I doubt very much if any orca would be seriously injured or die as a result.
Although you doing run the risk of encouraging them to disable the boats in other ways such as ramming the hull which would potentially be far more dangerous. How likely this is I have no idea

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Without any evidence,

"I doubt very much if any orca would be seriously injured or die as a result."

Good to know.

And if you're wrong?

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com
Without any evidence,
No doubt evidence will build as more yachts fit blades &/or spikes to their rudder,
"I doubt very much if any orca would be seriously injured or die as a result."

Good to know.
Thank you.
And if you're wrong?
The offending orca will bugger off with a cut lip and think twice before tackling another yacht or get mad and ram your yacht.

Sharp objects may be less damaging to the orca than dropping mini depth charges over the side causing permanent damage to their hearing.
I still reckon pumping some Bitrex out the heads might send them scurrying away.

capnsensible

Visit site
Are you suggesting the tens of thousands of sailors between Gib and Brittany stop sailing because of a few rogue orcas who (in my opinion) should be culled? Perhaps, if you sailed the area, you would have a different viewpoint, as many of us have.
Spot on. The armchair experts who use their leisure craft 1500 miles away want to dictate to those who live around the Straits.

Of course, they also ignore those who make a living in those waters.....I've been one. You can find plenty of reports of Spanish and Moroccan small fishing vessels having their boats or more generally, their catch (long line with hooks) being attacked.

They are rogue animals and should be culled before a human dies.

Imagine the outrage if the whale cuddlers couldnt leave their house to go to work because of packs of rabid dogs roaming around.

Still, 'I'm alright Jack' eh?

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Spot on. The armchair experts who use their leisure craft 1500 miles away want to dictate to those who live around the Straits.

Of course, they also ignore those who make a living in those waters.....I've been one. You can find plenty of reports of Spanish and Moroccan small fishing vessels having their boats or more generally, their catch (long line with hooks) being attacked.

They are rogue animals and should be culled before a human dies.

Imagine the outrage if the whale cuddlers couldnt leave their house to go to work because of packs of rabid dogs roaming around.

Still, 'I'm alright Jack' eh?
At some level, we are all on this planet together and entitled to opinions about how our environment is used - and abused. This ridiculous "you're not a local" arguement is pathetic.

And we are all subject to various restrictions wherever we sail (or undertake other activities). I conform to the legal requirements (and try to follow best practice) in the areas in which I sail - which may restrict passages, anchorages, landing, fishing, nature watching & so on.

The number of fish I've lost to sharks, well, but I don't suggest killing them. I've been hit by a whale once - and I wouldn't want to kill them either, I've had close calls with snakes and, once, a cassowary.

You condone the killing, injuring or distressing of highly intelligent sea mammals. I don't.

Still, if you dare to comment on any matters outside your home waters, I shall remind you that it's (according to you) none of your business.

And imagine a world where we kill every single creature that could threaten a human? Orcas haven't killed anyone (in the wild) and your blood lust is up - what next? All crocodiles, poisonous snakes, wasps, bees, lions, tigers, hippos, elephants, dogs, jellyfish, sharks, etc? Should we uproot & burn every toxic plant?

cherod

Visit site
At some level, we are all on this planet together and entitled to opinions about how our environment is used - and abused. This ridiculous "you're not a local" arguement is pathetic.

And we are all subject to various restrictions wherever we sail (or undertake other activities). I conform to the legal requirements (and try to follow best practice) in the areas in which I sail - which may restrict passages, anchorages, landing, fishing, nature watching & so on.

The number of fish I've lost to sharks, well, but I don't suggest killing them. I've been hit by a whale once - and I wouldn't want to kill them either, I've had close calls with snakes and, once, a cassowary.

You condone the killing, injuring or distressing of highly intelligent sea mammals. I don't.

Still, if you dare to comment on any matters outside your home waters, I shall remind you that it's (according to you) none of your business.

And imagine a world where we kill every single creature that could threaten a human? Orcas haven't killed anyone (in the wild) and your blood lust is up - what next? All crocodiles, poisonous snakes, wasps, bees, lions, tigers, hippos, elephants, dogs, jellyfish, sharks, etc? Should we uproot & burn every toxic plant?
Extraordinary opinion of some people , apparently it is ok for someone from one part of the world to move into another part of the world and start killing off the wildlife so that they can “ make a living “ , what kind of background , what kind of upbringing , what kind of people are these , extraordinary 🙄

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Extraordinary opinion of some people , apparently it is ok for someone from one part of the world to move into another part of the world and start killing off the wildlife so that they can “ make a living “ , what kind of background , what kind of upbringing , what kind of people are these , extraordinary 🙄

I find that reply ill informed, suggesting the complainants are all immigrants and totally ignoring the view of the many sailing/boating citizens of the countries concerned, who want to see a small number of orcas culled.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
In what way are cruising yachtsmen "making a living"

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Not a brilliant analogy is it.

1. Dogs aren't wild animals
2. Packs of rabid dogs would be a severe failure of border control where I live - and therefore unlikely
3. Sadly, rabid dogs are going to die a fairly horrible death shortly, so humanely euthanising them would be the kindest thing.

Try again, but bear in mind I've lived in close proximity to highly poisonous snakes, saltwater crocs, deadly spiders, more dangerous than you think kangaroos, sharks, surprisingly hazardous cassowaries, dingoes, scorpions and a few others without feeling the need to kill any of 'em.

I've also been bitten by a platypus (the males have a poisonous spur you know)!

capnsensible

Visit site
Not a brilliant analogy is it.

1. Dogs aren't wild animals
2. Packs of rabid dogs would be a severe failure of border control where I live - and therefore unlikely
3. Sadly, rabid dogs are going to die a fairly horrible death shortly, so humanely euthanising them would be the kindest thing.

Try again, but bear in mind I've lived in close proximity to highly poisonous snakes, saltwater crocs, deadly spiders, more dangerous than you think kangaroos, sharks, surprisingly hazardous cassowaries, dingoes, scorpions and a few others without feeling the need to kill any of 'em.

I've also been bitten by a platypus (the males have a poisonous spur you know)!
Boogaloo. The subject is fairly stupid creatures attacking boats with humans onboard. Burst them.

capnsensible

Visit site
Moroccan fishermen come from...Morocco. Spanish fishermen come from....Spain. These are the two countries bordering the Straits. Of course there is Gibraltar where British Citizens live, work and play.

What kind of upbringing do people have that they can criticise the actions of people 1500 miles or more away from the comfort of their armchair who are defending humans from rogue animals?

The hypocrisy is absolutely amazing.

cherod

Visit site
I find that reply ill informed, suggesting the complainants are all immigrants and totally ignoring the view of the many sailing/boating citizens of the countries concerned, who want to see a small number of orcas culled.
Not suggesting anything if the sort , what an extraordinary miss interpretation , i wonder why ?