Orca attack

Blue Seas

Visit site
The blame clearly rests with the do-gooders who decided to rename Killer Whales 'Orcas'. No issues up until then.
When they were Killer Whales they kept out of trouble because they knew they would be instantly fingered by the cops. If you are known as a Killer Whale then good look finding a credible alibi if somebody is found dead in the water.
That film 'Free Willy' didn't help either - it's basically promoting an early release scheme - might work with first time offenders but not with serial killers. If they are intelligent enough to carry a trainer on their nose whilst swimming up to land a basket ball then they can be taught right from wrong and the COLREGS.
I miss the old days when everyone understood their place.

Last edited:

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I have to say, I'm fairly shocked by the casual attitude to injuring or distressing orcas in order to have an easier time leisure sailing.

I guess it's part of the "war on nature", the welfare or existence of any animal must not be allowed to inconvenience any human even in the slightest way.

KevinV

Visit site
I have to say, I'm fairly shocked by the casual attitude to injuring or distressing orcas in order to have an easier time leisure sailing.

I guess it's part of the "war on nature", the welfare or existence of any animal must not be allowed to inconvenience any human even in the slightest way.
You could just as easily be shocked by the lack of empathy towards humans shown by those that defend these orcas and their right to destroy property and risk lives. Very few are proposing injuring the animals, just teaching them that rudders are not toys.

The spikes shown on that rudder wouldn't cause meaningful injury, much like barbed wire doesn't.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
You could just as easily be shocked by the lack of empathy towards humans shown by those that defend these orcas and their right to destroy property and risk lives. Very few are proposing injuring the animals, just teaching them that rudders are not toys.

The spikes shown on that rudder wouldn't cause meaningful injury, much like barbed wire doesn't.
Having removed various dead & injured animals from fences over the years, I'm impressed by your confidence that lethal looking spikes, unknown to these orcas, will do no more than deter. Removing a pretty much cooked emu from an electric fence lives in my memory as do various trapped kangaroos & echidnas.

A temporary exclusion zone and extensive research on non-damaging defensive techniques could be trialled, but that would interfere with the absolute right of humans to pursue their leisure activities.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
A temporary exclusion zone and extensive research on non-damaging defensive techniques could be trialled, but that would interfere with the absolute right of humans to pursue their leisure activities.

Do you think the orcas would stick to it, or just swim around as they like? :unsure::rolleyes:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
If they can even detect the hazard! Or do they learn by receiving horrible injuries?

Although, by the same token, isn't it the yachties' choice whether to enter waters where they might "interact" with orcas?

Are you suggesting the tens of thousands of sailors between Gib and Brittany stop sailing because of a few rogue orcas who (in my opinion) should be culled? Perhaps, if you sailed the area, you would have a different viewpoint, as many of us have.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Are you suggesting the tens of thousands of sailors between Gib and Brittany stop sailing because of a few rogue orcas who (in my opinion) should be culled? Perhaps, if you sailed the area, you would have a different viewpoint, as many of us have.
I'm not suggesting anything other than research and actions taken to ensure that harm doesn't occur to the orcas. I don't know the answers, but I'd be willing to accept a little inconvenience and cost to find out.

You just want to kill 'em - which is blunt.

Someone else likes lethal looking blades on the rudder on the basis that "barbed wire doesn't harm animals" - any quick search will show that barbed wire kills and injures many animals per year.

Others like all sorts of untried and untested methods - many designed to deliberately hurt the animals and others, well, who cares.

And all this for a leisure activity.

I'm just sad that this is the automatic response to nature - if it even slightly inconveniences us, it goes.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
If I took the time, i could come up with all sorts of harm done by your boating.., that could be avoided if you stopped.
Ah, THAT old chestnut - if you care about anything, you're a hypocrite if you don't stop doing all activities.

Because pretty much everything can have negatives impacts.

Real life doesn't work that way my friend - all of life is a compromise and each of us decides where the various "red lines" are for us personally.

I'm not going to end my existence - or lie down in the dark - to negate every impact - but I'm not going to deliberately or thoughtlessly injure a whale either.

As I say, personal choice.

greeny

Visit site
May I remind folks that this is not just about yachties. The orca are attacking and sinking fishing boats off the coast of Morroco on a regular basis. I'm certain the fishermen in any of the affected countries would not welcome a restriction on going to sea, catching fish and providing for their families.

WindyWindyWindy

Visit site
I'm not sure it's even the orcas.
The Russians could've easy painted up a small submarine.
Yes, it would be weird, but so is poisoning a dissident with a perfume bottle.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
I'm not suggesting anything other than research and actions taken to ensure that harm doesn't occur to the orcas.

This has been going on for a number of years now - how much more research do we need?

Other actively culling them, self defence is the only option open to sailors.

The spikes on the rudder option seems to be catching on.

456430216_10233439907085783_4454320408178166344_n.jpg