Orca attack

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
I think you mean, they have been peaceful,

"At least 160 orcas have died in captivity, including at least 44 at SeaWorld."

"Competition with fishermen also led to orcas being regarded as pests. In the waters of the Pacific Northwest and Iceland, the shooting of orcas was accepted and even encouraged by governments. As an indication of the intensity of shooting that occurred until fairly recently, about 25% of the orcas captured in Puget Sound for aquariums through 1970 bore bullet scars. The U.S. Navy claimed to have deliberately killed hundreds of orcas in Icelandic waters in 1956 with machine guns, rockets, and depth charges."

Perhaps they're just getting their own back?

Yet again you seem to be ignoring the fact that yachts have never been the agressor, have paid no part in capturing orcas or shooting them.

They are picking on the wrong people, so maybe they are not as smart as we have been told. They now need to be strongly discouraged.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Yet again you seem to be ignoring the fact that yachts have never been the agressor, have paid no part in capturing orcas or shooting them.

They are picking on the wrong people, so maybe they are not as smart as we have been told. They now need to be strongly discouraged.
Look, you're really not getting my point. I'll try once more.

I was simply refuting the GENERAL situation referred to by a previous poster who suggested that, in general, humans and orcas have coexisted peacefully by showing that, like many species, they have suffered far more in interactions than humans have.

I'm not making a specific point about yachties & orcas in recent times in specific waters. I have my own opinions on the situation and what should be done, but don't particularly feel like entering the fray.

I've been closed to orcas twice recently elsewhere - magnificent creatures.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
A previous poster claimed mutually harmless relationships between orcas & humans

It was me and I said no such thing. I specifically said yachties and orcas had co-existed peacefully for over 100 years.

Orcas have been and are harmed by aquariums, commercial fishermen and (arguably) tourist whale watching boats. They have never been harmed by cruising yachtsmen.

So stop trying to palm humanity's collective guilt off on us.

capnsensible

Visit site
Seems to me that by and large, humans are the only species that does care for animals and shows compassion, generally.

Everything else rips their prey to bits and eats it. Some, like cats and foxes, torture for amusement.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Seems to me that by and large, humans are the only species that does care for animals and shows compassion, generally.

Everything else rips their prey to bits and eats it. Some, like cats and foxes, torture for amusement.

There are lots of symbiotic relationships between different animals, species.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
It was me and I said no such thing. I specifically said yachties and orcas had co-existed peacefully for over 100 years.

Orcas have been and are harmed by aquariums, commercial fishermen and (arguably) tourist whale watching boats. They have never been harmed by cruising yachtsmen.

So stop trying to palm humanity's collective guilt off on us.
Well, you said "we" at the beginning of your statement, which I took to mean humanity,

"~ We have co-existed peacefully for decades. it is the Iberian orcas who are the aggressors, not yachties."

You "specifically " did not say, "yachties and orcas had co-existed peacefully for over 100 years" in that way.

I can accept that you meant one thing - and perhaps you can see why I interpreted it the other day.

Or, since I love a good arguement, we can continue to ding-dong until the internet freezes over!

dunedin

Visit site
Looks like some people are taking matters into their own hands to deter the orcas.

Sharp blades attatched to rudders
The quote in the article - from the Sea Shepherd Conservation group? - will make make some human blood boil - “the interactions with them in the Strait have been anything but attacks”, “these majestic beings show no signs of aggression. Large, curious and playful cetaceans

Is being sunk at sea a game to Sea Shepherd?

pmagowan

sites.google.com
Obviously not sure how effective blades, spikes etc would be.but I would argue that it is not done in an attempt to injure them. It is to make the rudder an unattractive prospect for attention in the same way as a rose has thorns not to injure but to deter. They are intelligent so should be able to detect if a surface is ‘prickly’. It is not as if the yachts are going out of the way to run orcas down with modified attack ships!

RobbieW

Visit site
The quote in the article - from the Sea Shepherd Conservation group? - will make make some human blood boil - “the interactions with them in the Strait have been anything but attacks”, “these majestic beings show no signs of aggression. Large, curious and playful cetaceans

I find Sea Shepherd to be irresponsible but that description is more accurate than many. We interpret the interactions differently, if the Orca were trying kill us they would.

madabouttheboat

Visit site
Sea shepherd are taking things a bit far with their rhetoric. They make it sound like yachties are going out of their way to hurt the poor defenceless Orcas. It is much more akin to self defence. They may not be trying to kill us, but with a sunk boat the result is certainly possible. I liken it to shooting a bear that is trying to attack me. I don't want to hurt the bear, I would much rather he left me alone, but if its down to me or him, then I would do whatever is necessary.

From my reading of the subject, this behaviour has been 'learned' and is limited to a small number of whales. Better we find ways to 'unlearn' them before the whole world's population find out. A few minor injuries and a bit of discomfort might be the way to do it.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com

I like most of the stuff Sea Shepherd do, but that statement is utter bs and lends their other activities zero credibility.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
That is worrying, but perhaps his firecrackers were not weighted. They need to sink so they explode underwater. You can (allegedly) tape pebbles or fishing weights to them.

If anyone in the area wants to buy them, Pirotécnia Los Niños, Huelva, have stock. €14 for a box of 5.

TRUENO ROJO (5) – Pirotecnia los Niños

P.S. They're closed Mondays.

Last edited: