Orca attack map (Portugal/Spain/Gib)

nortada

Visit site
Is this a thread about Iberian orca attacks or a pissing contest? ?

(asking for a friend)

- W

Bit of both I reckon but I do try to drag it back too topic but as you know, Mr C enjoys a wide ranging conversation.?

How is it going at your end and when do you hope to get back❓

? Don’t think anybody has encountered orcas in the Ria de Formosa or up the Guadiana - bit too shallow so good places to hide.

Has anybody been accosted at night❓ If not, night passages could become all the rage.

Last edited:

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
I have lots of questions, but the night passage one is good. As a long keeler we are happy to risk the dreaded lobster pot if it avoids the Orcas.

Which brings me to my next question... what rudder configuration gets attacked most? My feeling is spade rudders may be a better target.

Then - is there any commonality in bottom paint colour?

Motoring or sailing - any correlation?

Sea state?

Someone with time on their hands could contact everyone and correlate this.

I have no time... busy working on the Scottish boat...

- W

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
‘Probably’ about 75,000 nm over 15 years impressive. You did well to get so much sailing in last year during lock down.✅

My berths❓

As you ask, I have 2 boats one in Northern Europe the other in Iberia so I can summer cruising in those long daylight hours but winter sailing in warmer seas - best of both worlds.

Berths - various but often put boat ashore when not in use. Two boats both in the water at the same time thousands of miles apart - not for the faint hearted. But fortunately I have many good friends who keep an eye on things when I am absent.

I have encountered Wales in the English Channel - awesome and thought provoking. Their young proved inquisitive but friendly - no boat bumping.

Fortunately have yet to meet an orca and rather hope keep it this way.

Racing today so got to dash - toodle-pip or from your earlier observation possibly that should be toddle-loo?
I only found Wales on the North side of the Bristol Chanel.
I saw whales at the bottom of the Peloponnese about 20 years ago .

Can we now stop this ?

Last edited:

Stingo

Visit site
With this being a testing sample of one, surely placing a depth sounder into the pool of one of those mindless septic theme parks and then turning the sounder on and off and checking the reaction of the orcas, we'd then know if that worked reliably. Then we wouldn't have to mindlessly kill them, which is as mindless as wiping out the predators in the Serengeti, FFS!!!

Visit site
With this being a testing sample of one, surely placing a depth sounder into the pool of one of those mindless septic theme parks and then turning the sounder on and off and checking the reaction of the orcas, we'd then know if that worked reliably. Then we wouldn't have to mindlessly kill them, which is as mindless as wiping out the predators in the Serengeti, FFS!!!
An interesting idea but perhaps being imprisoned in a mindless theme park will have turned the orcas mindless.

RobbieW

Visit site
There we go, folks. Turn your depth sounder, fish finder, dildo, etc off.
What that solution doesnt address is why the 'attacks' are carried out by 3 individuals. In the Mail report there seem to be a lot of Orca about but only 3 involved in the destructive activity, which is consistent with all the reports over the last 18 months or so

Last edited:

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
What that solution doesnt address is why the 'attacks' are carried out by 3 individuals. In the Mail report there seem to be a lot of Orca about but only 3 involved in the destructive activity, which is consistent with all the reports in last 18 months or so

It also doesn't address why fishing boats are largely free from orca attention. They usually have depth sounders, fishfinders and are crewed by the orcas' direct competitors for food.

We need to know several things. Firstly, is it definitely the same three orcas every time? Are we sure? If so, the solution seems obvious.If you don't want to kill them then catch them and give them to a theme park.

(EDIT . . . . Just been to the SpiderMoobs FB link and it is definitely NOT the same three orcas, as attacks have been recorded in the Straits of Gibralter and off the Portuguese coast too close together to be the same pod)

If it is not the same three orcas - i.e. if the behaviour is or is becoming more widespread - then we need to investigate further. I f it was only a question of switching the echo sounder off then deep joy . . . . but we need more info re. rudder configuration, propulsion, instrumentation, bottom colour. Surely not beyond the capabilities of someone with a bit of time to spare to get in touch with as many skippers as possible and ask them to do a brief survey monkey questionnaire?

- W

Visit site
It also doesn't address why fishing boats are largely free from orca attention. They usually have depth sounders, fishfinders and are crewed by the orcas' direct competitors for food.

We need to know several things. Firstly, is it definitely the same three orcas every time? Are we sure? If so, the solution seems obvious.If you don't want to kill them then catch them and give them to a theme park.

(EDIT . . . . Just been to the SpiderMoobs FB link and it is definitely NOT the same three orcas, as attacks have been recorded in the Straits of Gibralter and off the Portuguese coast too close together to be the same pod)

If it is not the same three orcas - i.e. if the behaviour is or is becoming more widespread - then we need to investigate further. I f it was only a question of switching the echo sounder off then deep joy . . . . but we need more info re. rudder configuration, propulsion, instrumentation, bottom colour. Surely not beyond the capabilities of someone with a bit of time to spare to get in touch with as many skippers as possible and ask them to do a brief survey monkey questionnaire?

- W
Everyone refers to the attacks as being by three orcas . I do not doubt that three were present but have seen nothing to indicate that all three attacked the rudder. There is the possibility that only one is attacking.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Everyone refers to the attacks as being by three orcas . I do not doubt that three were present but have seen nothing to indicate that all three attacked the rudder. There is the possibility that only one is attacking.

As I said above, attacks in locations hundreds of kilometres apart on the same day suggest more than one pod is involved.

- W

greeny

Visit site
I think originally the interactions were being reported as being from 3 juvenile orcas but as Webby says, attacks hundreds of miles apart on same or consecutive days seems to disprove that theory.
So is the behaviour being learned and spread or is it something that is "natural behaviour" to the species.
I watched the video of the webseminar and there was a suggestion at the end that behaviour like this was also being seen in orcas communities elsewhere in the world, I think Labrador was quoted.
So culling 3 orcas called Gladys may not be the simple answer it once seemed.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
I think originally the interactions were being reported as being from 3 juvenile orcas but as Webby says, attacks hundreds of miles apart on same or consecutive days seems to disprove that theory.
So is the behaviour being learned and spread or is it something that is "natural behaviour" to the species.
I watched the video of the webseminar and there was a suggestion at the end that behaviour like this was also being seen in orcas communities elsewhere in the world, I think Labrador was quoted.
So culling 3 orcas called Gladys may not be the simple answer it once seemed.
I still reckon the underwater view of a seperate spade rudder has a similarity to a whales dangly bits. I mean to a whale, not me. My concern is for my Aries steering paddle. A playfull or horny whale could rip the lot off my transom.

EDIT. Just googled an underwater video of two whales going at it. Yup, definitely a spade rudder. About two meters long and a bit wobbly. Normally retracted to stop barnacles so may indicate an unwanted attempt to mate if extended.

Last edited: