Orca attack map (Portugal/Spain/Gib)

LBRodders

Visit site
Cool yer jets Greeny.

My comment was aimed at Rodders, who pootles up and down the North Wales coast occasionally in a small stinkpot.

- W

Well, the irony is on you my old chum. Big open ocean explorer moaning about the things quite well within their rights to live in it.

Visit site
They are whales. Dolphins are a type of whale.

from Wiki:
The killer whale or orca (Orcinus orca) is a toothed whale belonging to the oceanic dolphin family, of which it is the largest member.

They are not called 'killer whales' because they kill people. Orcas were given the name 'killer whale' by ancient sailors' observations of groups of orcas hunting and preying on larger whale species. They called orcas 'asesina ballenas', or 'whale killer' – a term that was eventually flipped around to the easier 'killer whale'.

As to injuries, someone has already sustained a dislocated shoulder in an attack off Cape Trafalgar in July last year. It is only a matter of time before something worse occurs.

- W
Thank you. You've demonstrated why calling an orca a killer whale is as silly as if I were to call you a killer ape and also why there are those who don't regard Wiki as gospel.

capnsensible

Visit site
Thank you. You've demonstrated why calling an orca a killer whale is as silly as if I were to call you a killer ape and also why there are those who don't regard Wiki as gospel.
Looks like you are gonna have to re write the whole internet. Every googled reference disagrees with you.

All dolphins are whales, but not all whales are dolphins. That’s because the Cetacean order of sea animals encompasses dolphins, porpoises and what we think of as whales. And Cetacean is derived from the Greek word for whale, ketos.

It may sound confusing, but all dolphins are simply smaller types of whales. The whale order (Cetacea) is divided into several different families, one of them being Delphinidae (this includes all oceanic dolphin species). For example, Killer whales are the largest member of this dolphin family, so they are both a whale and a dolphin at the same time.

That's typical. Hope it doesn't confuse you too much. ?

LBRodders

Visit site
Looks like you are gonna have to re write the whole internet. Every googled reference disagrees with you.

All dolphins are whales, but not all whales are dolphins. That’s because the Cetacean order of sea animals encompasses dolphins, porpoises and what we think of as whales. And Cetacean is derived from the Greek word for whale, ketos.

It may sound confusing, but all dolphins are simply smaller types of whales. The whale order (Cetacea) is divided into several different families, one of them being Delphinidae (this includes all oceanic dolphin species). For example, Killer whales are the largest member of this dolphin family, so they are both a whale and a dolphin at the same time.

So what you are saying capn, is that they want to murder dolphins that inconvenience their sailing? :p:ROFLMAO:

I can picture the uproar and spilt lattes now :LOL:

capnsensible

Visit site
So what you are saying capn, is that they want to murder dolphins that inconvenience their sailing? :p:ROFLMAO:

I can picture the uproar and spilt lattes now :LOL:
Well...no. Simply clearing up the name thing.

I've sailed round Trafalgar oodles of times. Also off Finisterre and St Vincent, the last being two weeks ago. Didn't see orcas this time, just common dolphin.

However an old oppo of mine had a big chunk taken out of his rudder in the western straits a couple of years ago. If, as it appears to be, there are a couple of bonkers ones starting to endanger life, I'm all for removing them. Like any rogue animal. No point being girly, just explode them.

I've also found out that these creatures roam all over the oceans, so they may turn up near any poster on here who advocates conservation. I wonder how their thinking would change if their boat and family were attacked? Live and let live my arse. ?

Visit site

You are the one who is confused, you might as well say that because we are all mammals orcas are humans.

capnsensible

Visit site
You are the one who is confused, you might as well say that because we are all mammals orcas are humans.
Nope. Read it again. I'm afraid you are in error and the experts are correct. Sorry to disappoint. But hey, learn something new every day.. If you are still confused, try googling it yourself.

The two paras I posted are indeed from an expert site.

capnsensible

Visit site
Are dolphins whales? A brief introduction to animal taxonomy

The fact that dolphins are whales seems to cause a lot of confusion among people.
The short answer is: Yes, dolphins are a type of whale. If this answer doesn’t satisfy you, continue reading.

Are Dolphins Whales?