Orca attack map (Portugal/Spain/Gib)

LBRodders

Visit site
The perpetrators need to be culled. I don't care how 'magnificient' they are or what the reasons behind their actions are, they are causing hundreds of thousands of poundsworth of damage not to mention fear and alarm, and tying up safety resources with avoidable callouts and tow-ins

But I suppose nothing will happen until someone is killed. The lives of three orcas are considered more important by some than the disruption to innocent navigation.

- W

Maybe the orcas are thinking the same thing.

'Kill the perpetrators'

- although I bet they don't think you and your floating plastic dustbin are 'magnificent'. :p

lusitano

Visit site
Yes, looks like the story in the DM has been hyped up as usual - looking at the pics and the video it appears that there are only three whales, as previously discribed in other reports

Visit site
Yes, looks like the story in the DM has been hyped up as usual - looking at the pics and the video it appears that there are only three whales, as previously discribed in other reports
The report said that the crew fended off 30. It would be interesting to know how. Perhaps one sneaked round to the rudder while the 30 were being fended off.
On a serious note, I hope that Halcyon will post some facts.

lusitano

Visit site
Video of yesterdays sightings off Albufeira circulating - hunting tuna
Three adults and two calves
No sightings today

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Come on Webby. Next you will be trying to ban bad weather.

You know what they say if the kitchens too hot :p

This is the Liveaboard forum - are you lost? How long exactly did you live aboard last year?

I lived on my boat for ten months.

And how anyone with a Suncruiser can call a Morgan Giles 30 a 'plastic dustbin' is quite beyond me.

- W

Last edited:

LBRodders

Visit site
I think if it was happening in your local sailing area, you would be pretty unhappy. Which ever direction we sail, we're in the tuna migration route so not something avoidable.

If it were happening in my sailing area, it wouldn't be my sailing area.

It's not a difficult concept.

The sea is home to killer whales not you. The clue is in their name ?

LBRodders

Visit site
This is the Liveaboard forum - are you lost? How long exactly did you live aboard last year?

I lived on my boat for ten months.

And how anyone with a Suncruiser can call a Morgan Giles 30 a 'plastic dustbin' is quite beyond me.

- W

To killer whales / orcas we all own plastic dustbins, some just cost more than others.

Yes, I must be lost - I didn't want to visit the pompous ar$3 forum ?

capnsensible

Visit site

So if whales invade the place you sail you would run away?

Anyway, I sailed all that bit a fortnight ago and just saw Dolphins.

As for whales being smart, ask one of them to hold your glass whilst you tie your shoelaces.......?

Visit site

That misnomer is used by the ignorant - they are not whales but dolphins. As I pointed out in another post I have not seen a single claim that in our waters there has even been one injury let alone a killing.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
That misnomer is used by the ignorant - they are not whales but dolphins. As I pointed out in another post I have not seen a single claim that in our waters there has even been one injury let alone a killing.

They are whales. Dolphins are a type of whale.

from Wiki:
The killer whale or orca (Orcinus orca) is a toothed whale belonging to the oceanic dolphin family, of which it is the largest member.

They are not called 'killer whales' because they kill people. Orcas were given the name 'killer whale' by ancient sailors' observations of groups of orcas hunting and preying on larger whale species. They called orcas 'asesina ballenas', or 'whale killer' – a term that was eventually flipped around to the easier 'killer whale'.

As to injuries, someone has already sustained a dislocated shoulder in an attack off Cape Trafalgar in July last year. It is only a matter of time before something worse occurs.

- W

greeny

Visit site
Not aimed at you particularly Webby but I am getting a bit p'd off with the concept that this forum is only for current boat inhabitants. Many of us lived aboard for many years before opting for a more comfortable lifestyle. We have many years of knowledge and experience especially in our chosen cruising areas. We choose to share that knowledge by coming into this forum and helping newcomers where we can with our local knowledge and experience. It seems some don't want us to anymore.
So I would now ask, whats "live aboard" got to do with this subject of orcas other than the name of the forum?
I live in a house and go to the boat almost daily. I would hazard to say that I spend more hours out there day sailing in this particular area, on an annual basis, than anyone else on these forums. Excepting sail training boats maybe. Therefore I am possibly at more risk than most. Do I and people like me not have a voice in this discussion?
Most liveaboards (not all I know) spend more time in the marina or at anchor than they do sailing in these parts. Not many orca attacks in marinas or anchorages I've heard about recently.

LBRodders

Visit site
Obviously, you're pretty clueless. Their territory covers a country's entire coastline and a fair bit of the adjacent country as well.

Ah sorry, didn't realise they were restricted in their movements to convenience you.

Anything else you want shifting to make your hobby more pleasurable?

Reactions: rib

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Not aimed at you particularly Webby but I am getting a bit p'd off with the concept that this forum is only for current boat inhabitants. Many of us lived aboard for many years before opting for a more comfortable lifestyle. We have many years of knowledge and experience especially in our chosen cruising areas. We choose to share that knowledge by coming into this forum and helping newcomers where we can with our local knowledge and experience. It seems some don't want us to anymore.
So I would now ask, whats "live aboard" got to do with this subject of orcas other than the name of the forum?
I live in a house and go to the boat almost daily. I would hazard to say that I spend more hours out there day sailing in this particular area, on an annual basis, than anyone else on these forums. Excepting sail training boats maybe. Therefore I am possibly at more risk than most. Do I and people like me not have a voice in this discussion?
Most liveaboards (not all I know) spend more time in the marina or at anchor than they do sailing in these parts. Not many orca attacks in marinas or anchorages I've heard about recently.

Cool yer jets Greeny.

My comment was aimed at Rodders, who pootles up and down the North Wales coast occasionally in a small stinkpot.

- W