Orca attack map (Portugal/Spain/Gib)

nortada

Visit site
Merchant Navy limits the navigation of sailboats up to 15 m in length between Cape Trafalgar and Barbate to avoid incidents with the Orcas.

The Ministry of Transport, Mobility and Urban Agenda (Mitma), through the Maritime Captaincy of Cádiz, dependent on the General Directorate of the Merchant Marine (DGMM), has issued a resolution restricting navigation to sailing vessels of equal or less than 15 meters between Cape Trafalgar and Barbate, in an area of approximately 2 and 9 miles from the coast.

The exclusion zone between Cape Trafalgar and Barbate is very small and it would appear that many of the incidents occurred outside this exclusion zone?

Another problem area has been further west along the Algarve coast. Both Barbate and the Algarve area have large tuna nets so is it possible that orcas have drowned in these nets so this payback time?

cherod

N/A
Visit site
Read somewhere (sorry no link) that these large sea mammals can communicate over thousands of miles ( bit like a marine internet). If this is true then orcas could wise-up to the latest activities their cousins overseas are up to - orca trending❓
yes i read similar some time ago , re the N Atlantic and how the nato trans atlantic sub sea ( submarines etc ) signaling was causing damage to the whales sonic sensory stuff . the same will be happening all over the world .

cherod

N/A
Visit site
Read somewhere (sorry no link) that these large sea mammals can communicate over thousands of miles ( bit like a marine internet). If this is true then orcas could wise-up to the latest activities their cousins overseas are up to - orca trending❓
yep ,, all those young orcas on their phones all day long .

Visit site
I
Gross exaggeration . They can "communicate" over a distance of ten miles although their songs travel vast distances.

nortada

Visit site
there is much more to their " songs " than the usual trivia pop songs which we are more exposed to .
Could their songs be communications; that is convey information?

Sorry, I am no expert on whales or orcas; just read those who are.

Below is the very small Trafalgar - Barbate Special Rules Zone.

Because it is on the main tuna migratory route, it could be where orcas congregate. As said before, the tuna nets could cause orca casualties, which, in turn could generate their reprisals against those they hold responsible.

We have sailed this area for many years and there is a well charted close-inshore route, around Trafalgar, avoiding the rocks. Not for faint hearts.

I think it unlikely the orcas would venture into this area. Outside the Barbate breakwater there is a huge (well buoyed) tuna net but again, staying close to the breakwater, it is possible to arrive and depart Barbate.

ORCAS SPECIAL RULES ZONE.jpg

Edited to add more detail.

Last edited:

cherod

N/A
Visit site
yes, that was what was being implied,, they are not just some little ditty (y) and were being disrupted by the military sonar etc, not just interupting but also damaging .

rib

Visit site
I
Gross exaggeration . They can "communicate" over a distance of ten miles although their songs travel vast distances.
Quick Google.. Thou I'm the first to admit not everything you read is true

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210807-214226.png
    Screenshot_20210807-214226.png
    126.5 KB · Views: 20

rib

Visit site
I
Per say ??. Orcas not as good as whales apparently. Long as our research is good

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210807-214534.png
    Screenshot_20210807-214534.png
    169.5 KB · Views: 9

Allan

Visit site
We're in Neyland marina, Pembrokeshire today. During a conversation with a very lovely local lady she mentioned that one of the local boats was being brought back by a delivery skipper. As the owner is her husband's best mate they've been getting daily reports of the trip. The skipper put a report on Facebook of an encounter with whales that lead to slight damage to steering linkage which needed a stop to fix. He was contacted by the Daily mail who offered to pay to 'print' the story. He said "give the money to the RNLI". The story they printed is nothing like what happened! The Daily mail's motto of "let's not let truth spoil a good story" seems to have reared its head again.
Allan

rib

Visit site
As I said long range "singing" is not communication in the normal sense of the word i.e. conversation.
As long as our research is correct. When we can communicate with them I will believe it. I don't know what the answer is, we learn more everyday about THEIR World. ?