Orca attack map (Portugal/Spain/Gib)

cherod

N/A
Visit site
Well since you so graciously offer an apology i will graciously accept it , tho am not quite sure what the “ so sanguine “ comes from , seems to me that you are jumping to false conclusions , again , yes if i was down that way i would certainly be concerned , and would be taking precautions , who wouldnt be , but that does not mean i would be taking your “ were eyeing me as their nxt dinner “ attitude .

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Well since you so graciously offer an apology i will graciously accept it , tho am not quite sure what the “ so sanguine “ comes from , seems to me that you are jumping to false conclusions , again , yes if i was down that way i would certainly be concerned , and would be taking precautions , who wouldnt be , but that does not mean i would be taking your “ were eyeing me as their nxt dinner “ attitude .

Out of curiosity, what precautions would you take?

I am hoping, perhaps forlornly, that long keels with attached rudders are not so much of a target - most if not all of the molested boats seem to be fin and skeg or spade rudder, would be nice to know if this is the case or not.

- W

nortada

Visit site

I am hoping, perhaps forlornly, that long keels with attached rudders are not so much of a target - most if not all of the molested boats seem to be fin and skeg or spade rudder, would be nice to know if this is the case or not.

- W
Seems to have got quieter of late.

capnsensible

Visit site
Ive been fortunate enough to to sail that area around Cape Trafalgar scores of times. If anyone wants any tips on getting from the Algarve/ Cadiz/ Trafalgar/Barbatte/Tarifa/Gib, give me a shout. ?

I'm quite familiar with the inshore routing.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Just been chatting to one of the local charter boat skippers, says he knows someone who was "attacked". Evidently the guy went astern pretty quickly and they went away after a few minutes, his theory was they would be too close to the prop if trying to nibble the rudder when he went astern.

cherod

N/A
Visit site

- W
interestingly in the case with the catamaran the whales seemed to be more interested in the towed dingy , that may be one type of precausion ,, another which i had thot of was , as mentioned in the later post , to go astern , in my own case ( i hope to be in the area nxt year ) i have the added worry / concern of a hollow keel , if it were to be " nibbled " it may cause a serious leak ,, i had thot of going astern or at least keeping the prop turning , i wonder if the whales might loose some interest if they were to get their nose cought in a prop , !! another " precaution " could be to hang a few lengths of chain off the stern in the area immediatly aft of the rudder , again some 1/2 inch galvy in the teeth might also dampen their enthusiasim , ( all a bit speculative . dont know if anyone has tried any of that )

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
interestingly in the case with the catamaran the whales seemed to be more interested in the towed dingy , that may be one type of precausion ,, another which i had thot of was , as mentioned in the later post , to go astern , in my own case ( i hope to be in the area nxt year ) i have the added worry / concern of a hollow keel , if it were to be " nibbled " it may cause a serious leak ,, i had thot of going astern or at least keeping the prop turning , i wonder if the whales might loose some interest if they were to get their nose cought in a prop , !! another " precaution " could be to hang a few lengths of chain off the stern in the area immediatly aft of the rudder , again some 1/2 inch galvy in the teeth might also dampen their enthusiasim , ( all a bit speculative . dont know if anyone has tried any of that )

Some interesting ideas here. I know some people reckon Orcas are smarter than us, but surely it is not beyond us to come up with a solution/defence?

- W

capnsensible

Visit site
Mate left Gib this morning, rounded Trafalgar outside exclusion zone, no issues
Dolphin Adventure back doing several trips a day. No reports in the eastern end of the Straits but they are well aware of what's happening around Trafalgar. They are a part of the cetacean reporting groups and have a marine biologist on their staff.
Great to be able to chat with people that are involved! ??

cherod

N/A
Visit site
cant do links , but this is it ( rather a long title ) " Our delivery yacht had a serious interaction with a large pod of orcas " , by Martin Evans .