Orca attack map (Portugal/Spain/Gib)

newtothis

Visit site
Even if shooting them was on, you would have to confirm a clean kill or retribution would be swift and terminal.

Suspect if you shot and killed one ocar, the rest of the pod are unlikely to do nothing. More likely to ‘finish’ you before seeking out other ‘killer boats’ and deal with them in a similar fashion.

Wonder what calibration of weapon would be required - an elephant gun!
I don't know owt about killer whales, but is there not some suitable substance (non-toxic, non-polluting) that could be dumped in the oggin as a deterrent? What sense receptors do they have other than sonar that can be suitably aggravated to make them go away. You hear reports of other echo location-dependent animals being sent packing by sound devices.

Visit site
Dolphins are in fact whales, or part of the whale family. Scientifically, all whales, dolphins and porpoises are classified as Cetacea. And within Cetacea are two suborders: baleen whales and toothed whales. Baleen whales include the really big ones, such as blue whales and humpbacks. Toothed whales include dolphins and orcas, or killer whales, as they’re often known. In fact, orcas are the largest dolphins, growing to be about 32 feet (10 meters) long. Many dolphins only average eight to nine feet (2-3 meters) in length.

So yes, orcas are dolphins, and dolphins are whales!

Hope that finally clears that up :cool:

- W
To the same extent that men are apes.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Do whales have a forum in which they can discuss how best to defend themselves against intrusion into their habitat by yachts? ?

They obviously communicate and no doubt have an alarm/danger call. Quite possible some sound signal would deter them much like bird scarers. Maybe one of the wildlife sites may have some info about their calls.

greeny

Visit site
Even if shooting them was on, you would have to confirm a clean kill or retribution would be swift and terminal.

Suspect if you shot and killed one ocar, the rest of the pod are unlikely to do nothing. More likely to ‘finish’ you before seeking out other ‘killer boats’ and deal with them in a similar fashion.

Wonder what calibration of weapon would be required - an elephant gun!
I f you remember my post at the time, it was a suggestion that a controlled cull of the 3 Gladys's by the competent authorities should be the course of action taken. That would probably have to be undertaken from a naval or research type vessel, not a "do it yourself " or "free for all" situation from a small yacht although you may have had to use a volunteer boat to draw them in . Of course, it's too late now as the behaviour has spread amongst the orca community it would seem and isolating the culprits would be nigh on impossible any more.

scr0che

Visit site
If you're planning a trip to the med or back up this map from OrcaIberica.org might be helpful.

It shows the rough migration pattern dates of you're hoping to avoid 'hotspots' and haul outs...

Our plan is currently to take an offshore route but thought I'd share incase it hadn't been seen.

View attachment 116754
Considering an offshore route in September this year, 2022. Any ideas on how far offshore one should go to avoid Orca issues?

scr0che

Visit site
If you're planning a trip to the med or back up this map from OrcaIberica.org might be helpful.

It shows the rough migration pattern dates of you're hoping to avoid 'hotspots' and haul outs...

Our plan is currently to take an offshore route but thought I'd share incase it hadn't been seen.

View attachment 116754
Considering an offshore route in September this year, 2022. Any ideas on how far offshore one should go to avoid Orca issues?

greeny

Visit site
Check the latest reports of encounters that resulted in a "real"attack on the boat and/ or damage. Ignore the ones that just say "saw orcas, they came and looked us and swam on"
Then plan your route to avoid the areas the rogue pod are in at that time. Its a moving target so you need to checking the websites every day whilst on passage.
Orca Interaction and Uneventful Passage Report Results | CA
You will possibly see orcas on your journey, they will probably not be the rogue group but if they are and get too close for comfort then stop the boat and go in astern for 10 or 15 minutes until they lose interest and leave you. This tactic really does work if the weather permits you to do it. A lot of boats are choosing calm weather and motorsailing to transit the identified higher risk area so they can take this avoiding action quickly and safely.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

As Greeny says, check the news to see where they're active but, when you consider the tens of thousands of boats out sailing between Brittainy and Gibraltar, chances of being attacked are very slim. Cape Trafalgar (Barbate) would be my main worry early in the season.

scr0che

Visit site
Check the latest reports of encounters that resulted in a "real"attack on the boat and/ or damage. Ignore the ones that just say "saw orcas, they came and looked us and swam on"
Then plan your route to avoid the areas the rogue pod are in at that time. Its a moving target so you need to checking the websites every day whilst on passage.
Orca Interaction and Uneventful Passage Report Results | CA
You will possibly see orcas on your journey, they will probably not be the rogue group but if they are and get too close for comfort then stop the boat and go in astern for 10 or 15 minutes until they lose interest and leave you. This tactic really does work if the weather permits you to do it. A lot of boats are choosing calm weather and motorsailing to transit the identified higher risk area so they can take this avoiding action quickly and safely.

I've been monitoring the FB group, and the www.orcaiberica.org but it's hard to determine safe distances offshore. The CA link you mention is VERY good, thanks, seems that most 'attacks' are within 20nm of the shore, although there isn't much data there yet.

Thus far I'm considering 50nm offshore (unless advised otherwise) which seems to be plenty, may go possibly more. I also take on board the very low %age of boats actually 'attacked'.

nortada

Visit site
I've been monitoring the FB group, and the www.orcaiberica.org but it's hard to determine safe distances offshore. The CA link you mention is VERY good, thanks, seems that most 'attacks' are within 20nm of the shore, although there isn't much data there yet.

Thus far I'm considering 50nm offshore (unless advised otherwise) which seems to be plenty, may go possibly more. I also take on board the very low %age of boats actually 'attacked'.

Should you be disabled 50nm is a long tow back to harbour.