Orca attack map (Portugal/Spain/Gib)

nortada

Visit site
Last edited:

Beneteau381

Visit site
I don't do Twitter, Facebook etc either. The video Cherod mentioned is here but a different boat, skipper time etc., - (261) Our delivery Yacht had a serious interaction with a large pod of Orcas - YouTube
Ive noticed that the orcas do the bubble blowing thing around the attacked boats, it seems to be an in built hunting mechanism so is hard wired in to them. Carousel feeding - Wikipedia
A serious question, if 240 volts machine is dropped in to the oggin, allegedly it gives a shock to a swimmer, what would happen if a twin core from an invertor was dropped in as they "interacted"?

cherod

N/A
Visit site
Ive noticed that the orcas do the bubble blowing thing around the attacked boats, it seems to be an in built hunting mechanism so is hard wired in to them. Carousel feeding - Wikipedia
A serious question, if 240 volts machine is dropped in to the oggin, allegedly it gives a shock to a swimmer, what would happen if a twin core from an invertor was dropped in as they "interacted"?
A cattle prod ? Yes i noticed the bubble blowing , also in one vid the tail slapping , both are actions taken when hunting naturally . Are they , as has been suggested , due to the fall in the large tuna stocks , actually starving and misstaking the sail boats for whales , which they also prey on ?

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
A cattle prod ? Yes i noticed the bubble blowing , also in one vid the tail slapping , both are actions taken when hunting naturally . Are they , as has been suggested , due to the fall in the large tuna stocks , actually starving and misstaking the sail boats for whales , which they also prey on ?

A spade rudder looks like a whale's penis, allegedly...

- W

cherod

N/A
Visit site

- W
must have had fun with that bavaria i was watching earlier ,, seriously tho they could resemble a whales fin .,, but i do wonder why they go for the rudders and not the fin / spade type keel .

BurnitBlue

Visit site

- W
A classic example of the phrase " The Singer not the Song". I made the post about the similarity between published photo's of a whales penis, and a spade rudder, early in this thread. It was met with derision and even laughter from posters.

Webcraft makes the connection with "allegedly" and folk take it seriously.

Just saying.

nortada

Visit site
Suspect they could get very angry??

greeny

Visit site
A classic example of the phrase " The Singer not the Song". I made the post about the similarity between published photo's of a whales penis, and a spade rudder, early in this thread. It was met with derision and even laughter from posters.

Webcraft makes the connection with "allegedly" and folk take it seriously.

Just saying.
I think people are beginning to take the whole thing more seriously. At first it was a few isolated incidents involving 3 orcas and people were generally dismissive and made fun of any attempt to have a serious discussion.
My suggestion to cull the 3 culprits, difficult as it may be, was met with derision and accusations of wanting to destroy the planet.
Now the behaviour has spread across the whole community and it seems that the whole coast is at serious risk. People are waking up to this fact.
I'm not complaining though, it's what some people come on here for. To pick holes in others comments and suggestions. C'est la vie.

RobbieW

Visit site
Now the behaviour has spread across the whole community and it seems that the whole coast is at serious risk. People are waking up to this fact.
Seriously, is there evidence that the behaviour has spread to the whole community ? I know there were instances in Biscay at the same time as Southern Portugal which suggested that more than one group was involved.

cherod

N/A
Visit site
I think people are beginning to take the whole thing more seriously. At first it was a few isolated incidents involving 3 orcas and people were generally dismissive and made fun of any attempt to have a serious discussion.
My suggestion to cull the 3 culprits, difficult as it may be, was met with derision and accusations of wanting to destroy the planet.
I'm not complaining though, it's what some people come on here for. To pick holes in others comments and suggestions. C'est la vie.
I would have thot that most people appreciated the seriousness and potential dangers involved , only questioning the reason or intent ,, i dont see how “ culling “ 3 “ culprits “ is going to “ save “ the whole coast , a proper thot throo defence or strategy would surely be more effective , i see for some people shoot first and ask questions afterwards is the knee jerk go to solution but we all ( mostly ) know that does not work .

greeny

Visit site
I would have thot that most people appreciated the seriousness and potential dangers involved , only questioning the reason or intent ,, i dont see how “ culling “ 3 “ culprits “ is going to “ save “ the whole coast , a proper thot throo defence or strategy would surely be more effective , i see for some people shoot first and ask questions afterwards is the knee jerk go to solution but we all ( mostly ) know that does not work .
Its simple really. These attacks started over 2 years ago with suspicions that a small group of 3 orcas were responsible. No other attacks were being reported. The behaviour has now spread so one would assume it has been "learned" by others. If the 3 had been culled, the behaviour may not have had chance to spread.
In the very early days, before it became debated and discussed on here, the attacks were isolated and restricted to the area where the 3 in question were located. Then it spread as the 3 plus others moved up and down the coast, following the food chain over the next 2 years.
Its no good trying to close the stable door now though, I'm afraid that the horse has already bolted on this one.

capnsensible

Visit site
Vessel finder shows what I would say is fairly normal sailing activity around Cape Trafalgar. I doubt the fishing vessels will have stopped either.

Plus of course the normal activity of shipping in the Straits must be quite noisy in addition to the usual flotilla anchored on Hoya Banks with generators on. It's a busy place.

Japanese freezer vessels used to sit in Barbatte through the tuna season buying up catch. No if you want anyone to get rid of pesky whales and make sure nothing is wasted......?

BurnitBlue

Visit site
How about this. Mutant ninja killer swordfish. That'll sort them!

The mystery of sharks that are turning up dead, ‘stabbed’ by swordfish
Eric and Susan Hiscock's Wanderer lll was attacked by a Swordfish towards the end of their circumnavigation. The sword jammed between their transom hung rudder and the transom. The Swordfish was no match for that sturdy little wooden boat. I reckon even an Orca would meet its match. Amazing yacht. 6 tons displacement with only 4hp two stroke inboard engine. Sailed everywhere. I believe it has since completed four more circumnavigations under different owners.

Avalon

phaon.dnsdojo.net
A friend of mine was sailing back from the Azores to Lagos and was approaching the coast near Sagres this afternoon. Her boat (X-43) was attacked by at least two Orcas for a considerable time. They lost their rudder and were eventually towed in to Sagres. At least one other boat was towed in after them with similar problems. I have seen a video and the Orcas definitely seemed to be targeting the rudder.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
A friend of mine was sailing back from the Azores to Lagos and was approaching the coast near Sagres this afternoon. Her boat (X-43) was attacked by at least two Orcas for a considerable time. They lost their rudder and were eventually towed in to Sagres. At least one other boat was towed in after them with similar problems. I have seen a video and the Orcas definitely seemed to be targeting the rudder.

Really sorry to hear that. It is beginning to be a real lottery sailing anywhere on the Iberian coast. I wonder how long it will be before insurance companies specifically exclude damage caused by belligerent marine life. (Not an issue for us, we only have 3rd party!)

Did your friend have to pay for the tow ?

- W