Orca attack map (Portugal/Spain/Gib)

Star-Lord

Visit site
This is the Liveaboard forum - are you lost? How long exactly did you live aboard last year?

I lived on my boat for ten months.

And how anyone with a Suncruiser can call a Morgan Giles 30 a 'plastic dustbin' is quite beyond me.

- W
[/QUOT
Only 10 months!

cherod

N/A
Visit site
just watched a recent vid from " Sea life station " ( nice elderly recently renovated Woods catamaran , just crossed the Atlantic ) on their interaction with orcas near Gib ,, entirely different approach from the sensationalist stuff that halcyon aided by the daily mail puts out ,,, well worth a watch.

Tradewinds

www.laurelberrystudio.com
just watched a recent vid from " Sea life station " ( nice elderly recently renovated Woods catamaran , just crossed the Atlantic ) on their interaction with orcas near Gib ,, entirely different approach from the sensationalist stuff that halcyon aided by the daily mail puts out ,,, well worth a watch.
A link would be helpful.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Orca 'played' with rudder, followed boat inshore into shallow water.

No different from the recent Halcyon incident in the same place, just a different style of narration.

- W

cherod

N/A
Visit site
Orca 'played' with rudder, followed boat inshore into shallow water.

No different from the recent Halcyon incident in the same place, just a different style of narration.

- W
not just " style " of narration ,,, it is an entirely different take on the situation all together , no mention of trying to sink the boat or " eyeing them for dinner " etc . :eek:

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
not just " style " of narration ,,, it is an entirely different take on the situation all together , no mention of trying to sink the boat or " eyeing them for dinner " etc . :eek:

The facts of what happened are exactly the same. The narrator specifically says she was scared does not want to ever experience it again.

I find it hard to see what your point is, except to belittle the problem secure in the knowledge that you are unlikely to ever experience it personally.

For many budget cruisers in the area, damaged rudders and the cost of a tow in could result in losing the boat. And it seems inevitable that it is only a matter of time until there is loss of life.

- W

cherod

N/A
Visit site
The facts of what happened are exactly the same. The narrator specifically says she was scared does not want to ever experience it again.

I find it hard to see what your point is, except to belittle the problem secure in the knowledge that you are unlikely to ever experience it personally.

For many budget cruisers in the area, damaged rudders and the cost of a tow in could result in losing the boat. And it seems inevitable that it is only a matter of time until there is loss of life.

- W
no one is arguing the facts , it is the way that they are portrayed that i was referring to .
and btw , i suspect that i had encountered whales before you were even born ( i hope that your other assumptions are similarly wrong ) )

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
i suspect that i had encountered whales before you were even born

Is your name Jonah then? And what has when or how often you have encountered whales got to do with it? This is a new behaviour, and one that seems to be spreading. OK, the Baileys were sunk by orcas, and possibly the Robinsons, but generally up until now an offshore encounter with whales was delightful and nothing to be scared of. That is no longer the case.

If your current cruising area is not the Iberian coaast then this is an academic issue. For many of us with boats in the area it is a very real issue, and is affecting peoples' plans. We have very experienced sailing friends who have decided to abandon their trip into the Med this year and have stopped at Cadiz, partly because they 'do not wish to encounter manic orcas'

Being understanding about it and going 'Ooh look aren't they magnificent 'will not save your rudder if you meet them.

- W

Last edited:

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
it is so " scarey " that apparently they are doing orca watch tours out of Tarifa at E60 a pop

If you had bothered researching the matter before posting you would know that the threat seems to be largely confined to sailing boats under 15m - which is reflected in the current Spanish exclusion zone rules. The boats operating these whale watching tours are very much bigger than this, and are not sailing boats.

However, you are obviously convinced that you are right and that sailors on the Iberian coast are a bunch of pathetic wimps making up sensationalist stories, a collection of fantasists with over-active imaginations who should in any case be grateful to sacrifice their rudders and perhaps their dreams to these 'magnificent creatures'

Why you are determined to make light of the issue is a bit of a mystery, but no doubt now you have the bit between your teeth as the orca's champion you will never drop it.

- W

Last edited:

cherod

N/A
Visit site
If you had bothered researching the matter before posting you would know that the threat seems to be largely confined to sailing boats under 15m - which is reflected in the current Spanish exclusion zone rules. The boats operating these whale watching tours are very much bigger than this, and are not sailing boats.

However, you are obviously convinced that you are right and that sailors on the Iberian coast are a bunch of pathetic wimps making up sensationalist stories, a collection of fantasists with over-active imaginations who should in any case be grateful to sacrifice their rudders and perhaps their dreams to these 'magnificent creatures'

Why you are determined to make light of the issue is a bit of a mystery, but no doubt now you have the bit between your teeth as the orca's champion you will never drop it.

- W
Obviously it you who is suffering from the over active imagination , your post is from your realm of fantasy

cherod

N/A
Visit site
I hope you don't stray too far in your boat if you are unable to plot positions better than that, see #1 and other reports, Only 1.5 from coast is nonsense.
perhaps you have been out in the sun for too long or just have difficulty keeping up ,,, please see post #156 " this interaction " .

cherod

N/A
Visit site

- W
i think perhaps that you are the only one having a mystery , as i never have made light of the situation , i merely drew to attention the different " takes " on the situation before you started your rant and assumptions about someone that you know nothing about . :rolleyes:

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
... before you started your rant and assumptions about someone that you know nothing about . :rolleyes:

Really?

We all judge each other by our posts on here.

I thought your comment about trip boats and orcas made it pretty clear what your attitude was.

I thought you meant that because 80ft ships aren't worried about orcas neither should sailors of yachts under 40ft.

I thought you meant you know better than the Spanish authorities.

If I was wrong I apologise, but perhaps you could explain exactly what you were thinking when you made post #151

it is so " scarey " that apparently they are doing orca watch tours out of Tarifa at E60 a pop

... because I am afraid it sounded to me as though you were telling your fellow sailors to 'calm down' when these encounters are causing many of them alarm and money, while others are changing their cruising plans as a result.

Tell me, would you feel so sanguine if you were cruising the Atlantic Iberian coast right now?

- W

Last edited: