Optimax petrol in boats, and a bit of ferrari

jfm

Visit site
This is a car post masquerading as a boat post becuase lots of people have petrol boats

Till now I have been cheapskate and never buy Optimax petrol. I assumed it was all bolx/snake oil, like that shell Formula stuff in 1988

The kids dragged me to that J Clarkson supercar show in Earls court yesterday (I resisted but suddenly changed my mind when they confirmed HR Owen were showing a Scaglietti and a warm-up call to the sales folk assured us of a play with it). Anyway there was indeed a big optimax/ferrari stand and the Shell chap there said I was wrong and the MPG improvement paid for the extra cost of optimax, and all the clean burn/smooth running benefits therefore came free.

So tonight the fuel light came on in the car, which has ordinary shell u/leaded in it. So, having 30mins to spare, I went along the same 1mile stretch of near empty dual carriageway at the same speed on cruise control, same gear, and measured the average mpg on the computer. The start/stop for the mpg measure was at constant speed, no accelerating, no traffic got in my way, all in same direction (so inclines not messing up the result). I got 3 readings all in the range 25.1 to 25.3mpg

Then I filled with Optimax (car 110lbs heavier), drove to the same place, did the same run, and got 27.6-27.9mpg. That's about 10% improvement, and cost is 7.0% more (89.9p vs 83.9p). OK this was I suppose a 3/4 arsed experiment but seems to suggest Optimax works out better and cheaper. In which case better for petrol boaters too?

Anyway, it turns out the Scaglietti isn't a tight 2 2 but can actually fit 2 in the back with quite decent legroom. So what does the panel think depreciation will be over 3 years/20k miles?

Magnum

RIP
Visit site
Horrific. There are 2 problems with the Scalgietti.

1 - its a production 12-cylinder Ferrari and that means substantial depreciation due to considerably higher price than 360 etc.

2 - It looks odd, although I actually like it. Seen a red one in the flesh and the pictures don't do it justice.

I guess what it boils down to is there are 2 types of Ferrari owner - enthusiasts like me who love driving (the cars looks helps though) and those who like posing and actually don't care much about the driving experience. The latter group ensure that prices of used 8-cylinder Ferrari's remains high and are not interested in paying 30-60K more for a car that looks worse, superficially.

I've used Optimax in all my cars since the M5 in Jan 02. Its the best commonly available petrol you can buy.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.magnumyacht.net>http://www.magnumyacht.net</A> - Princess P42

tcm

Visit site
Re: sad gietti

Hm. I wd've thort the scagg will be £160-170kish depending on discount , and after 2 years with 20k miles on the clock worth no more than £100k. The 456 was anyway. Consider a red one cos 2-seater brigade can't envisage a non-red ferrari on resale, but it's rather big car for so much acreage of flat red colour. Note how cheap 2yearold 456's are tho, also ok for sitting in the back and a bit prettier imho.

You will have to stop doing mpg runs else there is always a tendency to lift off rather than nail it.

Fortunately the 'rari won't have an mpg counter (or if it does, it'll be wrong) and the axshul mpg is less than 15 at 30 mpg and about 12ish at over 100.

The tank is nice and big (100+litres ish ) which means you can be filling up and other people arrive at petrol station, fill up, pay and leave whilst you are still filling up.

The 456 was most commonly specc'd as an auto, and at elevated speeds may perhaps drive better like that.

<hr width=100% size=1>

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Mmm, I think it was the Daily Telegraph that did an ad hoc test on Optimax and concluded that it had little or no effect on mpg but, according to Shell, you'd need to use it continuously to show mpg/performance improvements
FWIW I've used BP Ultimate (BP's competitor to Optimax) diesel in my E Class for many months and I've not noticed any improvement in mpg although the performance feels subjectively stronger and the engine smoother. It would be interesting to try it in a boat

<hr width=100% size=1>

britemp

Visit site
It 's not uncommon to achieve better mpg figures by using higher octane fuel. The Accord Type-R I used to run would drink ordinary unleaded with reluctance, but super was recommended. Over quite a few miles it averaged 26mpg on 95ron and 30mpg on 98ron and of course drove much better.

Currently I run my V8 LR on 114 octane fuel and it goes very well indeed. . . /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1><< Sig removed at request from Kim Hollamby - he thought it might scare forumites! >>

ari

Visit site
Used Optimax for a long time, but recently found myself running on vapours and only petrol station was BP.

So filled up with BP Ultimate and was astounded at how much smoother the car felt straight away!

Also seems more resaponsive and more economical but not done any proper tests to establish.

And remember, thats compared with Optimax, not normal unleaded.

Not used anything else since.

<hr width=100% size=1>

gjgm

Visit site
ahhh 2-3pct net gain?Or 1.5p per litre...not exactly going to change to cost of boating, i d have thought!
Now a massive tax on diesel... thats going to make a real change!

<hr width=100% size=1>

adarcy

Visit site
Agreed Britemp

jfm's Beemer with all the leccy control will give a bit more economy(or power which I think he may find more interesting) running on a real 98 RON as compared with standard 95 RON. Not sure if it has a knock sensor etc but may well retard the ignition on the inferior stuff

<hr width=100% size=1>

jfm

Visit site
Ooh yes, it has 8 knock sensors, piezo electric, one for each cyl, so it does indeed retard the ign for the 95RON

The new M5 (which I have on order but now fallen in love with another 4 seater fast car) has some electronic gizmo that uses the spark plug tips as knock/pre-ign sensors

Am i right in thinking that 98 RON is no longer avialable in UK generally, I mean if you want a premium fuel do you have to buy Shell Optimax or BP Ultimate?

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: oh, just buy the flippin\' thing

thort super plus is 98 ron? But ferraris don't need top fuel all the time, any old crap and it goes like stink, dunnit? Italian innit? So the optimax thingy is to make ole fule co look good, not to make ferraris go faster surely. Anyway with weedy mileage their fuel is always months old and knackered with condensation or whatever. And who gives a bugger if it's 10 or 20 mph down on top speed? Praps put the special gear in just now and again as a special treat. Sounds like right racket anyway, and "smooth" is a bit relative. Most important is to give the thing a good caning frequently.

So, kindly terminate the nerdy petrol considerations, and buy the blimmin ferari, but I recommend you buy a red one else hard to sell. Seems a bitmore curvy than the old 456 so will better in red. The cream leather is a massive bugger to keep clean and a bit gay, so get summink else, tan or bordeaux perhaps but not black else could be any car really, not exotic enough praps inside in black.

Also i can recommend graypaul, who promise to be very discreet and deliver the car in a lorry, also take it away in a lorry for servicing and fixing. The lorry has "FERRARI" in big writing down the side, heehee.

Also i can recommend ringing up maranello and any other ferarri dealers who will rip into each other and do monster discount for loony-priced car and ring you up a lot cos only 20 or so of these cars are sold inthe uk each year, praps less.

go on, just buy it, then you'll have done it. You only live once. Otherwsie you'll wait till ancient and look ridiculous. Oh, and another thing, with 500 hp you can sortof belt along and then woosh come off the motorway like a slot car nice and quckly without all that gentle queuing up in the slow lane.

I would guess that the standard spec is with an auto box. On 456's they outsold manual summinik like 3-1. Dealer love chatting about this. Praps mostly the secondhand one are bought by old gits. You wd have to be bloody slick at gearchanges (professional driver really) to beat an auto driven by monster right foot prod and hold on with both hands. Anyways, at elevated speed at 160 (no limit see, so so all beemers and merc get blown away on a decent long stretch) wot are you gonna do when the motorway gets all curvy? drop down a gear, eh? eek. "er, scuse me dearest swmbo, can you have a look at the dashboard somewhere - there's a button that says "sport" - can you press it on please?..."

Actualy, most of the ferraris crap out at 140 too, but what the heck, ferraris much better at shifting fastlane hoggers so 100mph in rushhour along the M1 is no prob cos everyone in front flings themselves into the ditch to watch you come past. And you can parkem anywhere too, just dumpit at the side of the road, and if a bit concerned lift the bonnet which is ded lovely inside, for guaranteed not getting nicked for parking.

Go on ringem up, go on go on. The two sorts of ferrari driver are those who buy one when aged under 40 as their normal everyday car, and the others who buy one when ancient and wd keep it on the mantlepiece with their other ornaments if it would fit and only take it out on sunny days, which is more sensible, obviously, but not as much fun as driving a ferrari in a snowdrift, and getting quite expert on the MK roundabouts at a flat 80ish.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: e-class mpg

i think it could easily be better in a boat, althou surely it would have to be quite a large boat to get the e-class up to any sort of normal crusing speed? :)

<hr width=100% size=1>

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Actually, the E320Cdi is not that slow a car especially when it's chipped. The prodigious torque makes it quite rapid at least at gatso infested UK speeds. I had a C32AMG before this one and I dont really miss it like I thought I would and I especially dont miss the lousy fuel consumption and range
Actually, the analogy with a boat is not far off the truth. The one thing I really dont like about the E (apart from the fact that the dealers are shite) is the steering which is a bit like driving a boat. You turn the wheel a bit, nothing happens, you turn it a bit more, still nothing, you give it a big heave and it finally lurches vaguely in the right direction. I guess it's like that to stop Americans driving into their houses

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site

ah well, see, i was making a silly joke about driving your e-class on board a boat from your ealier post which sugests your car wd be better on board a boat. However, i now realise my own post reads as tho i think you car is slow, but in fact erm i was just joking.

But henyway, those 320's do knock along. They havem in the s-class as well. i wonder what the range is at high speed, cos high-speed petrol guzzlers need 4 stops through france, whereas i spect oilies wd do it with two even with whamming it a bit, which is actually very good for the engine, officer...

<hr width=100% size=1>

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Yes, I realised that

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
it\'s all gone quiet over there

hm. Maybe he's gone down to the dealer to get one? Otherwise - wot about this:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.verdiferrari.biz/sales.asp>http://www.verdiferrari.biz/sales.asp</A>

Only £183 piffling grand! AND save a whole load of time by getting it now, not sometime later. I mean, waiting lists are ok if they havnae started making the thing - but they're already turning these out, so you may as well get it over and done. Otherwise long long long waiting, followed by death. Instead of which for some slight extra money you haven't even ever counted or clapped eyes on - instant Ferrari! hoorah! Then er death, but after the ferrari at any rate. By the time that waiting list come round the blimmin kids will have left home.

I am doing my best here...

<hr width=100% size=1>

adarcy

Visit site
Re: E320 CDI + SoF

Fill 'er up at Calais plus sweeties +/- snack
press the little pedal on the right
stop every 100-110 mins for caffeine infusion
Fill 'er up again at either Leclerc or Carrefour 100 miles either side of halfway
repeat the pedal and caffeine as above
arrive Antibes with > 2 gals in the tank

M3, 25, M26 and er M2 (?) then autoroutes 900 mile trip

cruise at approx 81 = 44 mpg for the run
cruise at approx 90 = 42 mpg for the run
cruise at you must be joking still > 40 mpg

Yeah one refill no probs w 14.3 gal tank in prev model version
methinks the current ones have 80 lit not 65 so that makes... er work it out
Mind you the S 320CDI has a bigger tank.......

<hr width=100% size=1>

Will_M

Visit site
I wouldn't dream in putting in anything less than Optimax into my Nissan Skyline.

Runs alright on other supers, runs totally sh1t on unleaded and as for that sh1t supermarkets sell wouldn't even put some of theose in a lawn mower...

As for mpg, whats that /forums/images/icons/frown.gif !

<hr width=100% size=1>

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Re: E320 CDI + SoF

Yes, current model has 80 litre tank and there's an option for 90 litre tank as well. I must have a lead foot 'coz I cant get anywhere near your average mpg's from my E320Cdi, about 36-37mpg is about the best I get on a fast (UK) motorway run and thats on BP Ultimate as well

<hr width=100% size=1>

jfm

Visit site
The skyline doesn't have computery adjusted ign timing/knock sensing, so it needs the right fuel. Other cars self adjust for the octane level, ie retard the ign for 95RON compared with 98RON

<hr width=100% size=1>