OpenCPN charts - what's the latest situation?

snowleopard

Visit site
Last time I asked, about 2 years ago, there seemed to be no legal source of usable UK charts for OpenCPN. Is that still the case?

prv

Visit site
Looks like this is finally a solved problem: http://www.visitmyharbour.com/charts-for-opencpn.asp

£54 for complete set of Admiralty charts for the UK, current set dated July 2013 plus one free update in a year's time, subsequent updates £25. Licensed for navigation, specifically intended for use with OpenCPN.

Only possible downside is that it may be Windows-specific due to the copy-protection technology; not sure about that and they're generally reputed to be helpful people so if there's demand for Linux and the current approach is unusable it may be possible to work something out.

They don't appear to have charts for outside the UK yet, but their other offerings stretch from the Netherlands to Portugal so I'm sure this will come.

Pete

Last edited:

Fantasie 19

Visit site
Looks like this is finally a solved problem: http://www.visitmyharbour.com/charts-for-opencpn.asp

£54 for complete set of Admiralty charts for the UK, current set dated July 2013 plus one free update in a year's time, subsequent updates £25. Licensed for navigation, specifically intended for use with OpenCPN.

Only possible downside is that it may be Windows-specific due to the copy-protection technology; not sure about that and they're generally reputed to be helpful people so if there's demand for Linux and the current approach is unusable it may be possible to work something out.

They don't appear to have charts for outside the UK yet, but their other offerings stretch from the Netherlands to Portugal so I'm sure this will come.

Pete

Cheers Pete - I knew the VMH guys were attempting to do this last year but they ran into copyright problems I think....

Compared to paper equivalents this is really good value, but is it me (and it may well be I'm a cheapskate.. my missus would probably agree.. :D ) or is £25+ for the USB dongle with security a little over the top....??? My mate was showing me Navionics on his Android yesterday ... £20 download and includes the charts.....

toad_oftoadhall

Visit site
Cheers Pete - I knew the VMH guys were attempting to do this last year but they ran into copyright problems I think....

Compared to paper equivalents this is really good value, but is it me (and it may well be I'm a cheapskate.. my missus would probably agree.. :D ) or is £25+ for the USB dongle with security a little over the top....??? My mate was showing me Navionics on his Android yesterday ... £20 download and includes the charts.....

£20 on a phone, more on a Tablet.

The VMH solution supports big screen sizes, so price looks good to me.

snowleopard

Visit site

Interesting. I already have the same set from MemoryMap but they are in a proprietary format which won't work with anything other than their own very basic plotter. Still, at that price it's no great hardship to buy them again. Now what about the other side of the channel?

prv

Visit site
Now what about the other side of the channel?

I do wonder whether their "UK" charts also include the north coast of France - this seems to be normal in other products. I think it might, because in their Seaclear version they say that the Belgian coast charts merge seamlessly with the "UK" ones. Absent some fairly major tectonic activity, that only works if "UK" includes part of France.

You could always ask them (and perhaps suggest they add a coverage diagram to their site).

Pete

laika

Visit site

Is Windows specific :-(. Linux users are SOL for most of the uk. Not sure if the antares charts might be an option: not being anywhere near the west coast of scotland I haven't investigated. No reasonably priced and legal options that I know of yet.

snowleopard

Visit site
I do wonder whether their "UK" charts also include the north coast of France - this seems to be normal in other products. I think it might, because in their Seaclear version they say that the Belgian coast charts merge seamlessly with the "UK" ones. Absent some fairly major tectonic activity, that only works if "UK" includes part of France.

You could always ask them (and perhaps suggest they add a coverage diagram to their site).

Pete

The description sounds very like the MemeoryMap charts and they do cover the whole of the channel but only at the largest scale and there is no detail of the French coast so only any use for crossing and once on the other side you need the paper charts.

st599

Visit site

Pete

Only valid on a subset of Windows devices.

The New OpenCPN plugin will be valid for Windows, Mac and Linux. Only touble will be finding folios designed for leisure use at recreational prices.

Last edited:

st599

Visit site
And therefore useless on another project on the PBO forum to use a Raspberry Pi as a plotter. Someone has recently got OpenCPN running on a Pi - more power to their elbow!

I never had any problems running OpenCPN on a Raspberry Pi, provided you compiled each library.

laika

Visit site
And therefore useless on another project on the PBO forum to use a Raspberry Pi as a plotter. Someone has recently got OpenCPN running on a Pi - more power to their elbow!

agurney did a lot of work with opencpn on pi:
http://www.agurney.com/raspberry-pi/pi-chart

Can't say that I'm totally sold on the pi as a platform for anything graphics based but as Linux is what I run on my laptop I'd certainly be a customer for some affordable, legal and up to date Linux-friendly charts.

Has everyone forgotten about the pi group on this forum?
http://www.ybw.com/forums/group.php?groupid=75

jono_howlett

Visit site
rpi.jpg

Heres the RPi with openCPN.

The only drawback is that its a bit slow. Scrolling around the map at high definition is pretty
painful.

jono

snowleopard

Visit site
I am not sure i get this. I have OpenCPN working with the BSB4 charts which came with my MemoryMap/Maptech package. Are you talking about something else?

Probably. My package, bought a couple of years ago is from MemoryMap and has nothing to do with Maptech. The files are in .qct format.

Heckler

Visit site
agurney did a lot of work with opencpn on pi:
http://www.agurney.com/raspberry-pi/pi-chart

Can't say that I'm totally sold on the pi as a platform for anything graphics based but as Linux is what I run on my laptop I'd certainly be a customer for some affordable, legal and up to date Linux-friendly charts.

Has everyone forgotten about the pi group on this forum?
http://www.ybw.com/forums/group.php?groupid=75
I bought Navionics for swmbo samsung android, which is basically linux! its brill, cheap, does everything including tides. I dont know why everybody is agonising about anything else!
Stu

Fantasie 19

Visit site
I bought Navionics for swmbo samsung android, which is basically linux! its brill, cheap, does everything including tides. I dont know why everybody is agonising about anything else!
Stu

Yup - said that just above... and only £20 on my mates phone.... was almost enough to make me give up my old brick and invest in a new phone... :D

Eyore

Visit site

Pete

It dosent cover the west coast of Ireland either grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:mad: