On Iraq, the US, oil and war

Observer

Visit site
I have debated with myself whether to become embroiled in this forum on the US/Iraq/war debate. On the one hand, it seems unlikely that what I write will persuade the diehard, anti-war and/or anti-US contingent, which is clearly substantial. On the other hand, I believe that the issue has vital significance and that the better view of the arguments is under-represented. Therefore, I feel compelled to express the views I believe in.

So, here goes.

Q. What right does the US government have to act as policeman of the world?
A. None, except as mandated by a majority of the world's inhabitants or their representatives (which purpose the UN could be be taken to serve). But that does not preclude its obligation to protect its own citizens or to take action unilaterally if the UN fails to mandate action. As it happens, there is, undeniably, a need for the "world policeman" role. International terrorism and despotic heads of state who torture and murder their own people have proved that. The US is uniquely capable of fulfilling that role. The US government does not HAVE to do it and the US taxpayers do not HAVE to pay for it, but I am grateful that it and they do. The US has its faults, perhaps many faults, but for all of them, it is a largely free and democratic country and George Bush was democratically elected (on which more below). Taking the argument a step further, the US is, whether I or anybody likes it or not, the only superpower. Given what is happening and has happened around the world - the propensity for human beings, as a species, to kill each other - whether in the last few years or the last 60 odd years, I am happier that there is a superpower which has the ability to project force and police the world (if the absolute need arises) than I would be if no such superpower existed. And I am infinitely happier that it is the US than any of the other possible candidates (the old Soviet Union, Russia, China?). And, yes, I am also happy that the country of which I am a citizen will stand with the US and play a part.

Q. Was GWB democratically elected?
A. The election may have highlighted anomalies in the US electoral system, but the issue was examined and tested in law right up to the Supreme Court. Far from it being, as some have claimed, a travesty of democracy, I believe it was a triumph for democracy and the rule of law. The losing side, as they were entitled to do, contested the issue to the end; but when the final decision was made against them, accepted it. The ultimate rule of law, as framed by elected representatives and applied by independent judiciary, is, in my view, the ultimate test of a free and democratic society.

Q. Why pursue Iraq and not other countries which also pose a threat to others? The US has double standards.
A. Possibly, but not necessarily, true. And, even if it is true, irrelevant. The fact that the US does not (either can not or does not choose to) tackle all threats (or potential threats) with equal vigour does not make it wrong to tackle any one or more of them.

Q. Does the threat that Iraq represents justify going to war?
A. Neither I nor anybody without access to all the intelligence material available can answer that on a fully informed basis. We elect politicians to make those judgements on our behalf. Absent that information, I answer the question thus:

(i) The extent of anti-war sentiment in the UK and the US makes it clear that George Bush and Tony Blair are taking a serious political risk in pursuing their joint policy on Iraq. That risk will become extreme if war is commenced without the backing of a further UN resolution (I do not think it will be but acknowledge the possibility). Imagine, for example, if things went badly and huge numbers of US/UK servicemen, or Iraqi civilians, were killed. I do not believe that either Bush or Blair will lightly commit armed forces. For anybody who asserts that is not true, I can have no respect. I do not believe that war is inevitable. I do believe that Iraq will certainly NOT disarm if it is not obliged to do so either by the use of force or by the sure knowledge that force will be used if it does not comply.

(ii) It is not in the nature of political leaders to take unnecessary political risks. If they take an extreme political risk, they will have extremely good reasons to do so.

(iii) By contrast, the political risk of doing nothing (against Iraq) is small. Even if there is credible intelligence which, for obvious reasons, cannot be made public - perhaps that Iraq does have or will develop the means to inflict serious damage on the US or the West or its neighbours? Or has sponsored or is sponsoring terrorism? - the POLITICAL risk of doing nothing arguably remains low. So, if Bush and Blair, supported by their respective cabinets, are convinced of the need to threaten the use of force and to actually use force, then again, I believe they will have very good reasons to do so.

Second-guessing the politicians we have elected, when we do not possess, and cannot expect to possess, the information on which we have elected them to make judgements in our best interests, is not an itellectually sustainable position to occupy. Expressing grave concerns and reservations; asking probing questions; testing the strength of conviction; that's all fine. But the only totally anti-war position which it is possible to occupy, as a not-fully-informed member of the public, is: "Regardless of the seriousness of the perceived threat, I do not support pre-emptive action to neutralise it". I disagree with that position but accept it is as intellectually valid.

Q. Would the US take action against IRAQ if it wasn't for oil?
A. Who knows? It's a hypothetical question. But say the answer is "No". It doesn't matter. The US is not obliged to act as policeman only for humanitarian reasons. The fact is that Iraq, apart from possessing massive oil reserves, sits (figuratively if not also literally) in the middle of the largest oil-producing region on the planet. It is not just in US interests for there to be political stability (or no worse instability) in the middle-east. The economies (and therefore the prosperity of all of us) of the whole of the developed world (perhaps with some individual exceptions but it's a reasonable generalisation) and, to an increasing extent, the "second world" and the "third world" relies on continuity of oil supplies and stability of oil prices. It may be an unhealthy reliance but it is a fact. And that being the case, it is to be expected that the US will be more ready to take action where its vital national interests are at stake than where they are not. It is not reasonable or sensible to expect any person, organisation or state to act only for altruistic reasons. We should encourage and support them when they do and hope they will do so more often.

So the case for supporting the US/UK policy on Iraq is:

1. Iraq is ruled by a ruthless tyrant who would not hesitate to use whatever means available (including the cliched "weapons of mass destruction") against the US and its allies, subject only to the deterrence of retaliation. If Saddam could make available those means to terrorists who have no "return address", it is difficult to believe he would refrain from doing so. As the first duty of a government is to protect its people, if the intelligence available indicates that the threat is OR MAY BECOME real, that government is obliged to take action. In my view, that can and should include pre-emptive use of force, if considered necesssary.

2. The terror Saddam has visited on his own people is enough justification on its own to have him removed, if it could be done at less human cost than that of allowing him to remain in power. The fact that there are other good reasons, security and economic, makes it easier to come to that decision.

3. Saddam's Iraq is a proven threat to the security of its neighbours.

4. Iraq has consistently and repeated violated UN security council resolutions. The fact that it re-admitted UN inspectors recently is solely due to the threatened use of force. It must be concluded that as soon as the threat is removed, or is perceived to become less real, the compliance with UN resolutions will cease.

IanPoole2

Visit site
Interesting view point, perfectly acceptable, but I personally do not want my country to go to war, for it's citizens to kill and be killed for the sake of Iraqi oil fields and US domestic public opinion and economic well being.

When Iraq becomes a threat to the US, by all means stand shoulder to shoulder, but until then, finish the job in Afghanistan (by rebuilding the country) and the war against terrorism.

Do n't forget, the weapons the Iraqi's may be developing were supplied by us, the US and the other democratic / western countries.

Bergman

Visit site
You put a well argued case.

If the world existed in black and white I would be inclined to agree with much of what you say.

However it doesn't. The world is shades of grey.

I didn't vote for Blair, so don't feel obliged to support his policies, yes I have to obey any laws that parliament passes, but I do not see that being elected makes him a God-like being who must always be right (doubtless he disagrees).

Saddam is a tyrant - no argument from me on that, he was a tyrant when US supplied him with capability to drop poison gas on Iranians - remember when they were the villains of the year.

Perhaps a question or 2 for you.

Imagine US and GB forces dish out a thorough pasting to Saddam, kill or exile him.

What next?

Another Ba'athist ruler?

Or perhaps an alternative Sunni ruler?

Or maybe someone from the Shi'ite community?

What if the Iranians saw an opportunity for revenge/retaliation for Iraq-Iran war?

What if Kurds saw opportunity to unite and declare a Kurdish homeland that includes a substantial part of Turkey - Good one this do we suppress the Kurds like Saddam did or do we help them attack a NATO ally?

Assuming the new leader of Iraq is a Muslim will US support him if he assists fellow Muslims against Isreal?

Will US rule directly - as a supporter of Isreal in a predominantly Muslim country who opposes existance of Isreal?

Will Iraq become a UN controlled zone - like Palestine?

Most Iraqi oil goes through pipeline via Syria will they co-operate with UN/ US / any other government?

How will US deal with Hamas/ Hizbullah/ Al Fatah etc. terrorist/ guerilla attacks that will almost certainly follow occupation of Iraq?

Just how long do the US plan to be in Iraq?

I'm no leftie - lifelong conservative in fact, but I don't think this issue has been thought through.

The Americans do not have a history of being good at foreign policy and I strongly fear that this could end up as another in a sad tale of disasters. As far as I can see there are no clear objectives, no clarity as to how it will make anything better and plan for how to get out.

Observer

Visit site
Thank you for a considered response. You posed a good number of questions and I don't have answers to all of them. I hope that our leaders do. Or, if they don't have them now, that they have at least recognised that answers will need to be found, sooner or later.

I can offer some responses.

I didn't vote for Blair either. I am also instinctively conservative. I certainly don't think Blair is always right - but I do think he is honest. At least as far as any politician can be or is allowed to be. I just don't see what advantage he gains by being the US "lapdog" - which is the commonly heard accusation. I think it has taken considerable political courage, for no obvious (to me) political advantage, for him to support the US as robustly as he has done. This is partly why I conclude (as I rule out the possibility that he is a power-crazed, trigger-happy moron) that he has good reasons for doing so.

The fact that the US (and the UK) supplied arms to Saddam does not preclude us from taking action against him now. One, or several, or any number of bad judgements cannot disqualify the subsequent exercise of better judgement. To be sure we should learn from past mistakes - the most obvious being "Don't put weapons into the hands of those who may later use them against you". The excuse in the past has been "If they don't buy from us they'll buy from somebody else" - which is a disastrously short term view, but I think less prevalent now.

I can't answer the "what happens next" questions directly. Indirectly, I do not believe that the US and UK governments have not addressed these questions. They may not have disclosed their conclusions and their conclusions may or may not be sensible or adequate (that's speculation) but, unless I conclude that everybody inside government is completely unable to see what is blindingly obvious to most people outside government (which is an appealing sort of notion but more fanciful than realistic), I have to believe that they have been addressed. I think that's a reasonable concluson to draw from the evidence of what's happened in Afghanistan, where, I understand, genuine reconstruction is taking place.

With respect (and I mean it) I don't easily see how you can justify >>I don't think this issue has been thought through>> and >>there are no clear objectives, no clarity as to how it will make anything better and plan for how to get out>>. Unless you have some inside knowledge of government workings? If not, isn't it just a question of how much has been made public? Let's say all these questions have been asked and solutions (or intended solutions) have been developed. Is it likely we they would be disclosed to the public - I don't think so.

The present leader of Iraq is (nominally) a muslim and is it very likely his successor (in whatever circumstances) will be. Anyway, the Israel/Palestine conflict is not directly part of this issue, even if it is connected.

Syria (perhaps surprisingly?) voted in favour of the security council resolution which led to the return of the UN inspectors. Their willingness to co-operate with the UN cannot be taken for granted, but neither should it be discounted.

I am uneasy with the prospect of war for several reasons. I am more uneasy with the possibility that we are likely to pay a heavy price in the future if we do not now stand up to tyrants and terrorists.

And I agree some US foreign policy has been flawed. It doesn't follow they are wrong on this - and I don't see what the US in general or Bush in particular have to gain by it. For the first, the cost in economic terms, and potentially in human terms, is massive. For the second, taking your country to war is not a guaranteed vote-winner. Anyway, it would be ludicrous to think that the whole US cabinet/establishment is just pandering to Bush's political ambition or is secretly opposed to the entire policy but scared to say so.

I am drawn back to the conclusion that we should back the judgements which have been made on our behalf - and that that the more vigorously we, as a nation, support them, the less likely it is that lives (on either side) will be lost.

chippie

Visit site
An interesting post .
While I disagree with most of Bush's policies, I agree with you that he is there by rule of law. In my opinion, the UN and its resolutions are the nearest we are going to get to having international law. An inconsistency with the US holding up its democratic processes as an example of the rule of law is its unwillingness to accept UN resolutions it doesnt like, whether they be regarding Iraq or its support of Israel's ignoring of these resolutions.
I heard on the radio today that Bush has cleared the way for the use of nuclear weapons against Iraq even though his own military have said that in recent conflicts the conventional weapons are more than adequate.
While I abhor the use of nuclear weapons I can understand a country using them as an almost last resort in defence of their homeland.

I think the if the US uses them in Iraq to secure oil reserves for their wasteful lifestyles we then have to consider whether George Bush would be a war criminal.

I can understand what the US would gain by securing these oil reserrves and therefore understand Bush's actions , but for the life of me cant see what direct benefit there is for Tony Blair.

Strathglass

Visit site
Perhaps Tony Blair's spin doctors have sugested to him that if he leads Britain to war then he will enhance his status in a similar manner to Thatcher's during the Falklands war.

G

As an American, born and raised, and Veteran of Military Service - 10 years, two and a half of that in Vietnam 68'-70', I have to tell you that I am among the legions of American's....many, many, many of who are Veterans who are questioning the necessity and reasons for this possible war.

Thus far, we have seen little to justify fielding thousands of our youth to possibly die in the desert....at this point for no apparent reason. Our government has given us no salient, quantified, or definitive information or proof of anything that justifies the insertion of combat troops to go into harms way.

Frankly....I and many others here think that the oil issue has more to do with it than meets the eye. Cheney....the VP who barely dodged indictment is an oilman, GWB is one too. In fact many of the people that supported him and his circle are oil people....so?

But other than that....the only military person in the inner circle is Colin Powell, thats it. Dubya did a CYA stint in the reserves and didn't bother to report....but then again thats normal when daddy is really rich.

To say the least...many Americans are very skeptical about this upcoming war, and aren't behind it. But Dubya doesn't seem to care about much beyond his personal agenda.....

In actuallity...he is risking all pursuing this war. I suspect that he will end up a "one hit wonder" just like his dad. His political agenda has been nothing more than pandering to his rich supporters with "tax cuts" that benefit the wealthy and corporations...but he hasn't paid a lick of attention to our economy.

He has not focused on resolving the terrorist issue, nor has he brought about the capture of Osama Bin Laden....or his corpse.

Insofar as the so called intelligence driving this impetus.....so far it seems as vaporous and nebulous as the intelligence and causes behind our involvement in Vietnam.

It is my opinion that the government owes us far more than hyperbole and smoke and mirrors as justification to send our troops into harms way.

We lost more than 58,000 of our best in Vietnam, to only have it confirmed later by the former Secretary of Defense that our government went into Vietnam in the full knowledge that it was a lost cause......but did it anyway.

No repeats please!!

Don't mis-read me, I am as patriotic as the next American.....and I would still take up arms to protect my country if the need arose, and would do so willingly. But I want more than smoke and mirrors. Perceived threats mean nothing.

If we are going to rid the world of terrorists......other nations must participate. More than just the US and the UK. Other countries have suffered at their hands, and more will in the future.... So, it is only fitting that other countries field their troops and that includes the French and the Germans, as well as all the others.

Besides....there are more ways than one to skin a cat.

Reality is the cause of all stress!!

chippie

Visit site
It's good to see that some in the US see the folly of its government's actions.
Here in NZ there has always been a core of conservative support for the USA.
I am amazed at how many older NZers now deplore the US's actions .
I think this is probably typical the world over, eg Germany and France and other EU countries The international ramifications for the US will be long lasting and almost totally negative.

jimi

Visit site
IMHO there is a serious flaw in your argument about St Tony's motivation. You argue that his behaviour is logical motivated by factual knowledge which it would be indiscreet to be made public as otherwise his behaviour is political folly.
I would argue that perhaps at the outset, many moons back, that may have been the case. BUT since then he has become detached from reality and has not taken the opportunity to stand back and reassess facts, pros & cons etc but has got carried away. INHO this is a trait that he diplays in all aspects of political life and is I believe a consequence of having too much power and surrounding himself with spin doctors and yesmen. Those daring to argue are isolated.
Also I find it a dangerous assumption that it is acceptable for a single state to be the world policeman, perhaps we are lucky that the US whilst being incompetent with foreign policy is not malicious (from our perspective) but what if that policeman were Nazi germany? The stuctures need to be in place and followed so that the unthinkable does not occur. That is why the UN is there and why any action taken must be taken by it. All IMHO of course.

steffen

Visit site
Wow, here speaks one thoroughly brainwashed person.
Typical way of American reasoning: if an argument is true, fine. If it is'nt its irrelevant.

Nevertheless, happy sailing, Steffen

steffen

Visit site
Morgan,
An excellent reply and much more reasoned then my own reaction earlier which was written in anger for people who blindly follow their leaders in the confidence that those leaders will know what they are doing.

There is NO EXCUSE for war save a direct assault on your country or that of your alliances -i dont consider 11/09 as such, tragic as it was-.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
One mans terrorist is after all just another mans freedom fighter. Perhaps if Bush and Tony addressed some of the issues that the “terrorists” are aggrieved about. Maybe there would be less of them.
I spent between 1976 and 1981 travelling extensively throughout the Middle East. So long ago, I was inundated with Palestinians wanting to discus there plight or to give me a pamphlet. It’s not rocket science. Palestinians live in Palestine and no doubt have done since Noah was a lad. I would suggest a resolution to this problem would reduce the incidents of terrorism significantly.

<font color=blue> Haydn

pkb

Visit site
I think Observer makes a lot of sense and I really don't understand the negativity so many people seem to feel about the USA or their allegations of foreign policy incompetence.

The single greatest foreign policy issue in the post World War 11 era was the containment of the Soviet Union and the spread of communism. Not only was the USSR contained but US policy also brought about its collapse as well as the collapse of its satellite Communist states as well. NATO, which is essentially a US armed alliance, prevailed over the Warsaw Pact. And all of this without a major, high intensity conflict between any great powers in the Northern Hemisphere.

Incompetent I don't think.

The era of the British Empire was knows as Pax Brittanica for it brought with it an peiod of relative stability in the world. We too were the world's policeman and by and large did a fairly good job of it.

We're now living in an era which could be defined as Pax Americana but the difference now is that the power of the USA - measured in financial, cultural or military terms - is so much greater than any other power or combination of powers that they have the ability to dominate the globe. Their annual defence budget is way in excess of $300 billion and next year they plan to spend an extra $70 billion on new systems and equipment. For this level of global pre-eminence to be enjoyed by a single power is unprecedented historically.

The US may not be perfect but I'm glad we have a world policeman who shares our values of freedom, enterprise and democracy.

Peter

Peter

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Blair, enhanced status

While you may be correct in that advisors are telling Blair having a hairy chest will secure the next election, if they are, they are wrong.

With the current state of the UK's opposition parties, all Labour has to do to remain in power ad infinitum is to avoid banana skins. And Iraq could be the mother of all banana skins.

I think it is more a case of conviction politics. TB is convinced that SH is a BAD man, and is equally convinced that he himself is a good man, on the side of right - Gandalf Blair. As such it behoves him to kick SH's arse out of Mordor. Never mind that he, personally, won't be doing the kicking. Or that 'our lads' have to buy their own desert boots (or borrow them from GI Joe) before they can kick anything.

Twister_Ken

Visit site
Trust politicians? Remember Vietnam.

How it was essential for the values of the Free World (aka USA) to defeat communist insurgents from North Vietnam otherwise all the other Asian states would tumble like dominoes? Remember how in the end, the free world couldn't even defend the US embassy in Hanoi. Remark how today Vietnam is a prospering country, and Free World Citizens (howdy, Chuck!) are spending mucho dollars there as a tourist destination.

If none of this rings a bell, try considering it while standing in front of the Vietnam memorial in DC - 100 yards of black marble, closely inscribed in letters less than an inch high with the names of the (US) dead. Stop and read some of the notes which grieving relatives still put there. And if you have any difficulty finding it, it's just across the way from the Korean war memorial.

jimi

Visit site
Pax Britannica indeed .. tell that to the nations we bludgeoned into submission .. the people that were subjected, the countries that competed, the so called Pax Britannica was the source of numerous conflicts includind WW1 which in turn led directly to WW2. I fear your socalled Pax Americana will have similar consequences.

As Haydn has said I feel the way forward is at the negotiating table without a "helpful" American big brother standing in the wings of one side. An unequal yoke rarely works!

Magic_Sailor

Visit site
Wonderfully well written

I think I disagree with most of it.

You talk about trusting politicians a lot. I can't think why we should - what have they done to earn it.

If we're talking about trust, how come politicians don't seem to extend the same courtesy to the electorate by showing the evidence they claim to have. Their reason is given as not wanting to compromise or risk the life of the source. What sort of an arguement is that, when the alternative is to risk 100,000's of service mens and civilians lives.

And of course, no risk to their own.

No, something else is happening here.

Magic

jimi

Visit site
Tell me where I'm wrong! Perhaps you've been reading the history books writtten by Brits, maybe we should read the ones written by Boers, Indians, Africans, Germans, Dutch, French, Americans to get a slightly different perspective on things?

Twister_Ken

Visit site
If you don\'t normally see the Mirror

today's article by John Pilger is a thought-provoking read

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/page.cfm?objectid=12581179&method=full&siteid=50143>http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/page.cfm?objectid=12581179&method=full&siteid=50143</A>

...and to think I thought tabloid journalism was the pits.