OK - you have the boat .. you later bought an item that far exceeded expectation ?

Refueler

Visit site
Oh dear, oh dear, it never occurred to me that anyone would take my post seriously, didn't you realise I was 'avin a larf? 🙄

I know perfectly well what they are for; and I do use them. 😉

OK - so you are having a laugh ... but at least anyone else who had never seen one now has an idea what its for ...

Personally I still walk my dividers across a chart !!

Bouba

Visit site
I used to have tools squirreled away everywhere on the boat...often completely forgotten about....recently I bought one of those suitcases with two hundred tools wrapped in foam....and I went through the boat taking all my tools back to my workshop....I find the suitcase more useful...everything in its place at a glance

zoidberg

Visit site
Personally I still walk my dividers across a chart !!
Hmmm. As a once-upon-a-time pro nav trained in Reversionary Nav techniques ( i.e. when you can't find your dividers 'cos someone has 'borrowed' them to open the condensed milk ) my fingers-span works 'close enough for government work'....

1 finger-width = 2cm; 3 finger-widths = 6cm; forefinger/span/pinky = 13cm; forefinger to ring finger = 10cm; pinky/span/thumb tip = 15cm

38mess

Visit site
The reflective tape at the top of my mast meant that, even with a fairly weak flashlight, I could find Stingo at night. This worked especially well after an extended beach bar happy hour. Cheers
View attachment 170820
What a brilliant idea. We chucked the hook out in a peaceful empty bay near Corfu one afternoon and went ashore for food and beers, much later we came back in the pitch black night only to find the once peaceful bay full of yachts, it took us an age to row around looking for our boat.

Refueler

Visit site
Hmmm. As a once-upon-a-time pro nav trained in Reversionary Nav techniques ( i.e. when you can't find your dividers 'cos someone has 'borrowed' them to open the condensed milk ) my fingers-span works 'close enough for government work'....

1 finger-width = 2cm; 3 finger-widths = 6cm; forefinger/span/pinky = 13cm; forefinger to ring finger = 10cm; pinky/span/thumb tip = 15cm

Blimey - now you got me remembering things ...

Open one eye - close - open other eye .. while thumb up in front of you

V of thumb and forefinger

and so on ...

But of course one of the most important .... a glass and the two finger measure !! Depending on situation - which two fingers !!

Poignard

Visit site

In the days before electronic navigation, a woman passenger on a liner went up to the bridge one day and asked the 2nd Officer, who was on watch, where they were.

The 2nd Officer put a point of his dividers on the chart and announced "We're here, madam."

Next day, the woman went up the bridge again and found the Chief Officer on watch. She asked him the same question.

He put his thumb on the chart and said "We're here, madam."

Next day, she found the Old Man on the bridge and asked him her usual question.

He responded by pressing the flat of his hand on the chart and saying "I think we're here, madam."

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
What a brilliant idea. We chucked the hook out in a peaceful empty bay near Corfu one afternoon and went ashore for food and beers, much later we came back in the pitch black night only to find the once peaceful bay full of yachts, it took us an age to row around looking for our boat.

Its why I had the patches on transom ...

Never thought to have on mast.

Refueler

Visit site
In the days before electronic navigation, a woman passenger on a liner went up to the bridge one day and asked the 2nd Officer, who was on watch, where they were.

The 2nd Officer put a point of his dividers on the chart and announced "We're here, madam."

Next day, the woman went up the bridge again and found the Chief Officer on watch. She asked him the same question.

He put his thumb on the chart and said "We're here, madam."

Next day, she found the Old Man on the bridge and asked him her usual question.

He responded by pressing the flat of his hand on the chart and saying "I think we're here, madam."

I sailed with a few like that .... Masters I mean !!

Refueler

Visit site
I used to have tools squirreled away everywhere on the boat...often completely forgotten about....recently I bought one of those suitcases with two hundred tools wrapped in foam....and I went through the boat taking all my tools back to my workshop....I find the suitcase more useful...everything in its place at a glance

I have a couple of those cheapo chinese do everything tool kits ... those 10 quid down the market jobbies .. good for one use then throw away !

But the case is worth keeping ... buy better tools and clip those in ...

Sadly - over here hard to find now ... only Car Access shops ... and they are not cheap !!

Refueler

Visit site
On those LED lights ... I find it amazing how good LED flashlights are now ... and how long the batterys last.

I bought a couple of medium sized LED beam guns with 3 position switch ... one for dog walking - other for use on the boat ... plug straight into 240v ... last for ages once charged ....

Bouba

Visit site
mmmmmm mind boggles at what you could recycle !! :ROFLMAO:
For someone like me who is illiterate, predictive text and autocorrect have allowed me to sound like a human being and operate in society on an equal basis…but when they go wrong they are even worse than me 😧

Refueler

Visit site
For someone like me who is illiterate, predictive text and autocorrect have allowed me to sound like a human being and operate in society on an equal basis…but when they go wrong they are even worse than me 😧

No disrespect intended ...

Spell checkers / autocorrect etc. - annoy me because it supports the spread of lazy USA style English .. you only have to listen / read what todays young generations English is like ... most people as I see it don't bother to set UK English Spellcheck ... they just let Microsoft ruin our language.

Predictive - I hate on phones ... its one of the first I disable.

My trouble is fat fingers .....

Bouba

Visit site
No disrespect intended ...

Spell checkers / autocorrect etc. - annoy me because it supports the spread of lazy USA style English .. you only have to listen / read what todays young generations English is like ... most people as I see it don't bother to set UK English Spellcheck ... they just let Microsoft ruin our language.

Predictive - I hate on phones ... its one of the first I disable.

My trouble is fat fingers .....
They seriously are manna from heaven for people like me who cannot spell…and predictive text makes me think I can write in French…it’s only when I have a piece of paper in hand that the true extent of my ignorance is exposed.

Refueler

Visit site
They seriously are manna from heaven for people like me who cannot spell…and predictive text makes me think I can write in French…it’s only when I have a piece of paper in hand that the true extent of my ignorance is exposed.

Again - honestly - no disrespect intended in any way ..

My youngest son for first 2 years at school was fully able to listen / understand classes - but was unable to form words properly to speak. It affected his writing as well ... Only my Mother - his Grandmother seemed to be able to understand him.
A lot of work with Speech Therapist .. us at home ... and the total devotion of my Mother got him through it ..

Today he is lead guitarist of his band and the vocals - was taught to play by the Bass Guitarist of the Shadows .. has very good job ... no-one would ever believe of that period.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Yes but where do you keep your pet squirrel & all his nuts?

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
These:

View attachment 170822

I've no idea what I'm suposed to do with them but they look good on the chart table.
At one time I used them every day, back in the 80s! Very useful for getting coordinates off a map, or subdividing grid squares for measurement purposes. One exercise we did was to estimate the burden of ice cover in a mountainous area of Antarctica. The graticule on the map was quite coarse - 10 point dividers made it easy to subdivide the large graticule. Of course, you could subdivide into any number of divisions less than 10.

These were maps on projections other than Mercator, and without a nicely subdivided scale at the margin, so you couldn't just use a ruler.